20 replies to this topic

#1 Lord Alisk

Lord Alisk

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,467 posts

Posted 21 January 2021 - 08:09 PM

The idea of trialling an scenery contest was mooted in another thread elsewhere on the forum, and the people posting up (including yours truly) agreed it'd be a good way to help people finish some projects, and share some scenery projects in a friendly competitive sort of way. Certainly I find the painting comps very helpful to actually get me to finish things. I appreciate that traffic on the Brewery  isn't what it was, and that there's unlikely to be masses of entries, but my feeling is that if this contest helps one person finish a scenery model,  and enjoy doing so, 

Anyway, without further ado, let us see how we get on with a scenery  painting contest.

As an experiment, shall we say 2 months is to run this contest on the first go (taking us through to March 21), but we won't close the contest until we've 3 entries - so if there's 3+ entries by March 21 we'll go to voting, otherwise we'll hold off until there are 3 finished entries.

Anyway, lets see how this one goes. I for one am very happy to be doing more with scenery, and will definitely endeavour to get an entry  in. Please post your entry below, ideally with a pre-painted picture, but if that's not an option then so be it (I realise with scenery posting up a pre-picture might be less viable as photographing a pile of glue, foam and paint isn't the same as photographing an unpainted model).

Many thanks to everyone who participates in this.

All best,

LA

#2 Lord Alisk

Lord Alisk

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,467 posts

Posted 21 January 2021 - 08:09 PM

Place holder

#3 Skull Krusher

Skull Krusher

Skazastoki

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,883 posts

Posted 21 January 2021 - 11:23 PM

Undi Barak - I will be making in other words a Guard Tower

Busy casting bricks... tidious

Edited by Skull Krusher, 02 February 2021 - 06:04 AM.

#4 Timothius

Timothius

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 26 January 2021 - 04:08 AM

Place holder.

Suggest instead of unpainted mini that is typical at the start of these contests, each of us put up a piece of concept art or what we are using as inspiration. Might be fun to see how close we get to the mark if you are not making something completely unique.

~Timothius

#5 Kallstrom

Kallstrom

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 26 January 2021 - 07:50 AM

I will be joining with a piece of terrain that I bought. 

gallery_10780_1318_14829.jpg

Painted:

gallery_10780_1318_250406.jpg

gallery_10780_1318_162103.jpg

gallery_10780_1318_336697.jpg

Edited by Kallstrom, 24 March 2021 - 02:24 PM.

#6 Lord Alisk

Lord Alisk

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,467 posts

Posted 26 January 2021 - 08:22 AM

Really great to see some more statements of interest! Thanks everybody.

Suggest instead of unpainted mini that is typical at the start of these contests, each of us put up a piece of concept art or what we are using as inspiration. Might be fun to see how close we get to the mark if you are not making something completely unique.

~Timothius

Really good idea Timothius - how about either a sketch or inspiration piece for those of use who're making from scratch (though I guess if you want a photo of polystyrene and sand  if you want) and a photo for those of us (like myself) who intend to work on a bought-in model (I'm going to paint & develop a bought-in ruin model).

All best,

LA

#7 Timothius

Timothius

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 27 January 2021 - 01:28 AM

Hi Guys,

For my contest entry, I'm looking to build a residential neighborhood placed above shops in a city market. The concept art I'm working off if is here

ConceptArt

I have designed the space and elevations seen below.  Planned dimensions are 26x16x16

ShopDistrictConcept
ConceptProfile

~Timothius

#8 Grangit

Grangit

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 19 February 2021 - 08:31 PM

Hello fellow Dawi ๐Ÿ‘‹

I hope it's not too late to join this scenery contest. I've not been able to join this forum for one month since the registration was broken but I'd really like to participate.

My project will be a dwarven outpost belonging to the stronghold of Zhufbar. I've technically started this project more than one month ago, but I hope that's fine since some people also start with something existing.

When this contest started, my outpost looked like this:

zhufbar_1.jpeg

As you can see, there was still a lot to do. Since then I have made quite some progress.

I'm very curious to see what you're all going to build :).

Cheers,

Nico

EDIT:

I'm done! ๐ŸคชThere are still a few details I would like to add but for now I'm calling it done.

1.jpeg

2.jpeg

3.jpeg

4.jpeg

5.jpeg

6.jpeg

Edited by Grangit, 21 March 2021 - 08:02 PM.

#9 Lord Alisk

Lord Alisk

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,467 posts

Posted 20 February 2021 - 12:31 PM

Wow Grangit - just wow! That's an amazing project you've got going there, and it puts my own humble efforts to shame. I'm very much  looking forward  to seeing that finishing - it's already an awe-inspiring and inspirational piece.

And welcome to the Brewery too - it's great to have you aboard.

#10 Dourin

Dourin

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,085 posts
Contributor

Posted 20 February 2021 - 10:58 PM

Got to agree here, that's an amazing piece already! Looking forward to seeing it finished.

#11 Grangit

Grangit

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 February 2021 - 11:35 AM

Oh wow, you guys are too kind, thank you! How's everybody progressing? I'm wondering if I should post my progress or wait for the end of the contest when everything is done. How does it work?

#12 Lord Alisk

Lord Alisk

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,467 posts

Posted 21 February 2021 - 11:59 AM

Hi Grangit,

In terms of my progress - I think I'll charitably describe it as 'patchy'. Not a lot, essentially. I'm working on some simpler terrain projects (ones which have been partially completed on my painting table for some time now), partly to clear the backlog, and partly to get better at painting scenery before I do the 'big one' for the contest.

In terms of posting updates of your work,  I'd advise starting a dedicated thread in the Forge section (http://www.bugmansbr...um/5-the-forge/), as that'll give you as much  space as you want to post up loads of pictures and discuss the project more.

This thread is for the contest entries, really.  When it's time to  start the voting  I'll do through and delete everything which isn't actually an entry. So you post miscellaneous things here if you  want to, but unless it's an entry (so an 'in the works' photo + the photos of the finished piece) it'll be deleted later to keep this thread clearer for the voting. 

Is there anything else I can help with?

All best, and thanks again,

LA

#13 Grangit

Grangit

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 February 2021 - 12:12 PM

Hey Lord Alisk, thanks for the clarification! I'll create a thread for my outpost and good luck with your backlog and Da Big 'Un ๐Ÿ’ช.

#14 Kallstrom

Kallstrom

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 21 February 2021 - 10:36 PM

Very nice project there, Grangit! Will be nice to see it come alive with paints!

For myself I have slapped a first layer of paint on some of the wood tiles and brick walls. A lot of other projects are in my pipeline as well, so my building will have to be done once I get around to it - whenever that may be. I think it will look great in the end, though.

#15 Skull Krusher

Skull Krusher

Skazastoki

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,883 posts

Posted 22 February 2021 - 05:14 PM

And I have finished making bricks and have started the construction stage of building the tower..... Grangit your work has put my proposed tower to shame... have a pint on my tab.

#16 Grangit

Grangit

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 March 2021 - 08:11 PM

How's everybody doing? I finished my project just in time and edited my first post. Now I'm curious to see what everybody created/is still creating :).

#17 Kallstrom

Kallstrom

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 22 March 2021 - 12:46 PM

Wow! What an inspirational piece, I am impressed! Great job!

I have put some more paint on my scenary but I am not done yet. Life has gotten in the way, so there has not been as much hobby time this last month as I would have liked. Once the house is done I will post some pictures of it!

Edit: updated my post above with my pictures!

Edited by Kallstrom, 24 March 2021 - 02:25 PM.

#18 Grangit

Grangit

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 10 June 2021 - 08:34 AM

Time for some updates guys! I'm already on my next project ๐Ÿ˜„.

#19 Kallstrom

Kallstrom

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 10 June 2021 - 01:24 PM

Hehe, I have made several new pieces since then, too. A new house, and several pieces of chaos terrain. 

What kind of project are you working on now?

#20 Skull Krusher

Skull Krusher

Skazastoki

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,883 posts

Posted 13 June 2021 - 03:04 AM

Keep forgetting to take a picture of my tower.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users