4 replies to this topic

#1 Okmark

Okmark

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 02:11 PM

Hello everyone,

I have recently had the impuls to do a little warhammer again, after constant droning questions from a friend. My trusty dwarfs from back in 6th and early 7th have been catching dus for a good number of years and I want your opinion on a new list. I've understood the meta-game has drastically changed in 8th edition with changes in combat, movement, charging and about everything else. Smart move by GW to boost sales, less good for old players who have to re-learn the entire game.

So, wise longbeards, give me your thougths.

Per forum rules, do not include individual upgrade costs.  Post editted by David L

Dwarf Lord

Master rune of Swiftness, rune of might, rune of cleaving

Master rune of gromril, rune of preservation

total: 255 pts

Dwarf Thane

Battle Standard Bearer

Master rune of Stromni Redbeard

total: 190 pts

Dwarf Thane 

Oathstone 

Rune of Cleaving, rune of fire 

Master rune of adamant, rune of stone 

total: 160 pts

Runesmith

Great weapon 

Master rune of Balance 

Rune of stone

total: 129 pts

Master Engineer

brace of pistols

great weapon

total: 84 pts

818 pts lords and heroes

10 Thunderers

Shields, Musician 

total: 155 pts

10 Thunderers

Shields, Musician 

total: 155 pts

35 Warriors

FC, Great weapons

total: 375 pts

35 Warriors

FC, Great weapons

total: 375 pts

20 Longbeard Rangers

FC, Great weapons, Throwing axes

total: 325 pts

1385 pts core

24 Iron Breakers

FC, Rune of Battle

total: 367 pts

Cannon

Rune of forging, rune of reloading, rune of burning

total: 140 pts

Cannon

Rune of forging, rune of burning

Engineer with handgun

total: 150 pts

Grudge Thrower

Rune of accuracy, rune of reloading, rune of penetrating

total: 140 pts

742 pts special

Gyrocopter - 140 pts

140 pts rare

I dropped an organ gun but still hit 3085 points. Those 85 points need to go, so I was wondering what to drop. Please not that I've never build an army in 8th before and I'm counting on the possibility that I'll need to drop a hero. The Oath-Thane was a late addition to create an implacable unit of Ironbreakers as an anvil. The lord and BSB go with the axe-dwarfs as hammer units. ME supports the cannons. Gyrocopter and Rangers work in tandem to slow the opponent down. The runesmith needs some friends to hang out with.

#2 Alebelly_Cragfist

Alebelly_Cragfist

Dwarf Of Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,346 posts
Contributor

Posted 20 January 2013 - 05:11 PM

Drop the thane would be the obvious choice, and Oathstones have very situational use from what I can gather (great for "Hold the X" but not much else).

Runelord would be a better choice for the general, and you could ditch the Lord altogether. You could get away with just the Runelord (+def and magic resistance runes) and the BSB Thane.

I would suggest you need an Organ Gun (if not 2), just for the fear factor if nothing else.

The GT's optimum set up would be with 2x Ro Pen and 1x Ro Accuracy. Ro Reloading isn't so great as it sounds according to the Mathhammerers.

2 cannons is sensible, esepcially for an allcomers list. Maybe not so great it you'll always be facing a horde army.

I'd see if you could bump the warrior units up to 40 and the Elite units up to at least 30.

#3 David L

David L

White Dwarf

• Brewery Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,189 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:56 PM

The Oath-Thane was a late addition to create an implacable unit of Ironbreakers as an anvil.

How do you think he accomplishes that?  The oathstone has very little positive benefit - it does not make you Stubborn.

MRoStromniRedBeard is pretty much awful in 8th.  There are so many kills on either side than one or two static CR is insignificant.

The Dwarf Lord needs shieldbearers and some good armour runes.

It would definitely be stronger replacing Thunderers with Organ Guns.

#4 BradleyKadrin

BradleyKadrin

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:58 AM

Uhhm David, no word about the individual points costs presented here?

#5 David L

David L

White Dwarf

• Brewery Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,189 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:25 PM

Bradley, when posting on a phone, during ad breaks of the football game, while trying to keep a 7 month from screaming too much, things get skipped.   :P

Per forum rules, do not post the individual upgrade costs of things.  Just a unit or character total.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: army, 8th edition, dwarf, old player

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users