Photo

My First Game Ever, And I'ts Against Dark Elves. Will This Work?

beginner dark elves magic resistance advice

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Thane Foebreaker

Thane Foebreaker

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:01 AM

Hello everyone!

I've been putting money aside each month for a while and I'ts time to get building now. I've managed to secure my first game and i'ts against Dark Elves in less than a fortnight. The opponent has plenty of experience unlike me and to balance the game somewhat he's given me his list.
Which is as follows...

Supreme Sorceress = 285 
General 
Lv3 Dark Magic 
Sacrificial dagger, Pendant of Khaeleth 

Sorceress = 150 
Lv1 Fire Magic 
Ruby Ring of Ruin, Dispel Scroll 

Master = 155 
Battle Standard Bearer 
Armour of Darkness, Dawnstone 

35x Warriors = 235 
Supreme Sorceress & Master join this unit 
Full command w/ Standard of Discipline 

10x Repeater Crossbows = 105 
Sorceress joins this unit 
Musician 

10x Repeater Crossbows = 105 
Musician 

6x Dark Riders = 139 
Musician, Repeater Crossbows 

9x Shades = 153 
Additional Hand Weapons 

War Hydra = 175 

Total Points = 1502

Now as of yet he hasn't told me any sort of tactics or how he plans to play this army. But I can sort of see a magical/crossbow/template gun line here, with a couple of nuisance units thrown in for a laugh. So in my list i'm trying to shut at least one Sorceress down, hunt his missile troops with my Quarrelers and pop the Hydra with my artillery. Then thin out the troops with more artillery fire and hit those squishy elves repeatedly with great swords. What do you think? Will it work? I don't want to lose against this guy too badly if at all if possible.
Here's my list...

Runelord = 290
General
Runic Greatweapon w/ MRo Breaking, Ro Striking, Ro Cleaving
Runic Gromril armour w/ Ro Resistance
Runic Talisman w/ MRo Balance

Thane = 157
Battle Standard Bearer
Handweapon & Shield
Runic Gromril armour w/ MRo Gromril, Ro Resistance, Ro Preservation

25x Warriors = 250
Greatweapons, Handweapons & Heavy armour
Full command

25x Warriors = 250
Greatweapons, Handweapons & Heavy armour
Full command

10x Quarreller Rangers = 155
Crossbows, Greatweapons, Handweapons & Light armour
Veteran & Musician

Cannon w/ Engineer = 140
Ro Forging

Cannon w/ Engineer = 140
Ro Forging

Grudge Thrower w/ Engineer = 120
Ro Accuracy

Total points = 1502

#2 David L

David L

White Dwarf

• Brewery Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,189 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 02:33 PM

Runelord = 290

Runic Greatweapon w/ MRo Breaking, Ro Striking, Ro Cleaving
Runic Gromril armour w/ Ro Resistance
Runic Talisman w/ MRo Balance
What are you trying to accomplish in general with this?  To me, he is easy to kill, has little offensive value, and is not awesome at anti-magic, and that is without considering this specific DE army.  What is your thinking?
Your great weapon is no longer a great weapon because you put runes on it and did not include MRoKragg.  Secondly, with just 2 attacks base, that very expensive runic weapon is not worth having anyway. You would do more damage spending those points on more gw warriors.
Re-rolling just a 4+ armour save is generally not worth it.  He needs a shield and Rune of Stone, then the re-roll becomes valuable.
Taking a runelord with only one anti-magic rune is not good use of the runelord.  You take a runelord in order to stop enemy magic, yet you have spent most of his points on other things.  He should have at least one spellbreaker in addition to MRoBalance, if not more than that.  If you just want MRoBalance for antimagic, stick it on a runesmith and spend the extra points elsewhere.  A runesmith and a fighting Thain should be clearly more effective than this guy in all respects, even though fighting Thains besides the BSB are often a waste.

2 x 25x Warriors = 250
Greatweapons, Full command
Generally a bit small, but should be okay for 1500 against DE.  Just don't get in combat with a healthy Hydra ... it will wipe them out.

10x Quarreller Rangers = 155
Greatweapons, Veteran & Musician
No real point to having the veteran.  Really this unit is not going to accomplish much in this matchup.  They are hugely overmatched by the volume of light enemy shooting, and they are not capable of taking out the Shades or Dark Riders.  You would be much better off with an Organ Gun.

Cannon w/ Engineer = 140
Ro Forging
Cannon w/ Engineer = 140
Ro Forging
Illegal for the same rune on two things.  Add Burning to one.  With the Hydra known to be out there, really add Burning to both, and put something silly (reloading) on one to make it legal.  Since you know you are facing lots of light shooting, I would keep the engineers here, although I often recommend removing them from cannons.

Grudge Thrower w/ Engineer = 120
Ro Accuracy[/quote]
Adding one or two Penetrating to this really really ups the damage.  The extra kills from one or two Penetrating runes here will do far more shooting damage than your entire crossbow unit.
I really suggest an Organ Gun, even at the cost of removing the Stone Thrower.  The Shades and Dark Riders are going to get out of your front arc and attempt to charge your war machines.  At minimum they should be able to annoy you constantly, and neither cannon nor stone thrower is very good at taking them out.

#3 Griegsson

Griegsson

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 837 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:22 PM

David L's advice, as always, should be heeded.

However, since it is your first game, I'm going to a$$ume you don't have much in the way of alternative models.  Really all you need to change is the Runelord's runes (and the illegal cannon runes).

Try Balance, 2*SB, Shield, Stone, Res, Pres on the RL.

In terms of the game the hydra is target number 1.  Shoot it with a burning cannon, then your non-burning cannon, then anything else you have until it is dead.  You need to protect your warmachines from the shades and dark riders until this has happened.  Put them behind your units (they should still be able to see over them) and don't leave any gaps.

After that shoot any threats to your warmachines.  When they are dead you will be able to shoot elves for the rest of the game.  You shouldn't be advancing your warrior blocks until all threats to your warmachines are gone.

I actually think the small unit of quarreller rangers are a good anti-shade defence, though they will probably die as well.  If he drops his scouts first you can deploy to counter them (rememember that scouts can charge first turn if deployed inside your own deployment zone (drop them in the shade's flank).  If you drop your scouts first then you can use them to deny an area of the board to his shades which must deploy at least 12 inches from you.  In either case, keep them near your other blocks otherwise they will be isolated.

Edited by Griegsson, 12 December 2012 - 03:23 PM.

#4 timotej777

timotej777

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 05:43 PM

Dark elves is a prety tough race to be fought against as a beginer prety dangerous if you ask me

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: beginner, dark elves, magic resistance, advice

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users