10 replies to this topic

#1 Montegue

Montegue

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,756 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 04:16 PM

Here's a few pics from my new unit of Ogres I finished for a local paint comp. I didn't win first, but I like the pics. Hope you do, too.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Montegue, 25 September 2012 - 04:18 PM.

#2 rednorseman

rednorseman

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 04:33 PM

They look awesome!!! Bet they were fun to paint. Well done.
cheers

#3 Grim Stoki

Grim Stoki

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 06:38 PM

Lookin good. Much better than mine :)

I like what you did with the pants. It never occurred to me to do them different colors.

#4 Eskabar

Eskabar

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 142 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 08:21 PM

Hey, impressive work!
Inspiring me to work on mine... Picked up the book and battalion recently, but have yet to decide on a paint scheme.

Thanks for sharing! :D

Eskabar

#5 Montegue

Montegue

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,756 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 10:50 PM

You're welcome.

For what it's worth - Undercoat was black. I did bugman's glow, reikland fleshshade, and then Dwarf Flesh on all but the deep recesses. Then I washed again in Griffon Sepia. Then I did some color mixes to get highlights up to elf flesh.

The Ironguts are going a little differently - Bugmans, Reikland, then Cadian, then Kislev. It's a lighter skin shade, but it works well and isn't radically different than the bulls. I like to vary the skin tones a bit, too. Metals are stupid easy - just Boltgun, Agrax Earthshade, and a highlight of Runefang Steel. Pants are a little more tricky, and generally used about 4 layers and a wash. The blue ones used the blue glaze as well.

#6 Wendersnaven

Wendersnaven

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,877 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 04:18 AM

Strong work. :yes: I didn't know you were collecting Ogres too- perhaps you can find a conversion use for that melted Gyrocopter.

#7 Squergi

Squergi

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,783 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 04:58 AM

Excellent stuff! I really like the pants as well. The whole unit just looks so colourful and nice:clapping:

:hi:

#8 BradleyKadrin

BradleyKadrin

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 07:53 AM

Very nice work on the flesh and weapon effects such as rust and sharpened/dulled surfaces.

The pants are great very smooth transition and blending displayed there!

I feel that one thing that could have helped your ranking in the painting competition would have been some freehand work on all that exposed and somewhat featureless areas of flesh, not that it wasn't done well! I was thinking of tattoos, warpaint or scars could really set it off and break up the unit's upper side half of the one colour.

Overall very impressive work Montegue!

-Bradley

#9 Montegue

Montegue

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,756 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 01:12 PM

Thanks for the comments, all. I'm a little nervous about freehand work, but I suppose Ogres are a good place to start - wide canvas, and a fluffy penchant for sloppiness. However, I'd feel more comfortable if I could come up with a method of templating the tatoos. I'd like to give them all a Maw style tat that has the teeth pointed upwards all the way around their upper body.

#10 Theatralic

Theatralic

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,779 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 01:18 PM

They are great Montegue! Those Big Ogre blocks allways look scary, they must be Fun to paint.

#11 Eskabar

Eskabar

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 142 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:53 PM

Thanks for the comments, all. I'm a little nervous about freehand work, but I suppose Ogres are a good place to start - wide canvas, and a fluffy penchant for sloppiness. However, I'd feel more comfortable if I could come up with a method of templating the tatoos. I'd like to give them all a Maw style tat that has the teeth pointed upwards all the way around their upper body.

I'm in the same boat as you are on that one. Love the idea of some freehand work, but don't quite trust myself doing it. For ogres, though, I feel the tats really give them that personal touch. And, hey, if anyone would do a sloppy job, it'd be ogres, no? ;)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ogres

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users