Photo

Grumpy Old Man's Grumpy Old Dwarfs (Side Projects 21.10.2013)

army project oop dwarfs

• Please log in to reply
126 replies to this topic

#41 Alebelly_Cragfist

Alebelly_Cragfist

Dwarf Of Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,346 posts
Contributor

Posted 13 June 2012 - 11:23 AM

Nice use of the drunk Dwarf lamenting the death of... a Rinn?

To quote Austin Powers "...that's no lady, she's a man, man!" Why do sculptors so often fail at females, female dwarfs in particular?!

#42 Theatralic

Theatralic

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,779 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 11:24 AM

Wow, simply WOW, I have both minis but never would have got that Idea! I hope its like in the fairy tale and she will wake up again ( she got the snow whithe colors for a reason I think ;D) ... Great Idea, great painting.

Thanks for sharing!

Edited by Theatralic, 13 June 2012 - 11:25 AM.

#43 Pahvivalmiste

Pahvivalmiste

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 101 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 11:25 AM

It's... Snow White, the apple is in the left corner (unpainted) :P

Here's the inspirational picture: http://www.stellaboo.../snow_white.jpg

I made some flowers on top of the baby that is in the original female figure. There are also some flowers around the bed and on the rock.

Edited by Pahvivalmiste, 13 June 2012 - 11:29 AM.

#44 Theatralic

Theatralic

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,779 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 12:14 PM

One thing maybe, some actual colored flowerheads would be nice, otherwise it looks a little bit like she is still holding her groceries ;P.

Edit: Forget my dumb talk, its still WIP, memo to myself: first thinking then typing!

Edited by Theatralic, 13 June 2012 - 12:15 PM.

#45 cros13

cros13

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 01:03 PM

^^^^

ahahah dam you!! all i can see in that sculpt is a bag of groceries now :lol2: :lol2:

awesome conversion and unit filler, i must say! cant wait to see the finished product!

#46 Pahvivalmiste

Pahvivalmiste

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 101 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 02:34 PM

You got to hold on to your groceries, you know :) Before this I thought I'd just put the female figure with Bugman's cart and call it "Snow Whites later phases", but I ended up doing this after all.

Why do sculptors so often fail at females, female dwarfs in particular?!

I'm not sure if the wagnerian look of this particular dwarf female is unintentional or not - it's big chin and broad shoulders would correspond the the dwarf female stereotype?. I think that might also be the root of the failures: miniatures use exaggeration of stereotypical traits/certain features and exaggerating waist, lips, breasts and other features that identify a model as a female often lead to something corny.

Also, females have smaller heads and hands than men in real life, and these happen to be features exaggerated in most miniatures. Female dwarf models have to incorporate both "dwarf" and "female" exaggerations, which means a lot of trouble. Or something... I think that the two other citadel female dwarf figures I have (shieldmaidens, one with axe and shield, the other with axe) look ok, even though they're a bit big for dwarf figures.

Edit: What's a Rinn?

Edited by Pahvivalmiste, 13 June 2012 - 02:35 PM.

#47 Theatralic

Theatralic

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,779 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 02:51 PM

Learn your Vocables ;) :P

Rinn: A lady Dwarf or king's consort

Nice test for Alebellys updatet:
http://www.bugmansbr...finitive-guide/

Edited by Theatralic, 13 June 2012 - 02:52 PM.

#48 Darkblade

Darkblade

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,484 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 03:48 PM

Posted Image

Love it !!

#49 Goldo

Goldo

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 05:15 PM

Epic movie, epic filler!

#50 Pahvivalmiste

Pahvivalmiste

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 101 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 10:21 AM

Hello!

Long time, no see, but here I have some completed miniatures after a while. First the complete Snow White with another unit filler (doctors arguing about treatment while patient bleeds away):

Posted Image

I should probably have painted the human person in the second filler with colours of the Prince from Snow White, but alas… the other non-dwarf is a Gnome wizard.

Second picture represents my Battle Standard Bearer:

Posted Image

The traffic lights represent different units frpm the army. I am not going to say anything about the motto :P

Here I had several issues – mainly with the trim and the black lining, which is probably a bit too visible. I also have a feeling that the standard is rather big. I could have put more effort to the text and the "parchment" beneath it (now it looks a bit rounded), but this will suffice for now.

I wasn't not too fond of the bearer miniature. I got it from an obscure ebay trade and couldn’t figure out other use for it, so here it goes. I don’t have Throne of Power so there is no issue with duplication.

So, now I’ve finished my first big infantry unit and painted a couple of dwarfs from the other (the second filler is going there). Here we go…

Posted Image

#51 Blue in VT

Blue in VT

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 11:50 AM

That standard and bearer are AMAZING! I love the use of the throne bearer for a standard...genius! Your free hand skills on the banner are truely impressive...and you criticize your skills too severely....I would be happy to produce such a piece of art.

Cheers,

Blue

Edited by Blue in VT, 10 August 2012 - 11:51 AM.

#52 Alebelly_Cragfist

Alebelly_Cragfist

Dwarf Of Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,346 posts
Contributor

Posted 10 August 2012 - 11:59 AM

"None are superior to Dwarfs"? Did I guess right? :)

#53 rednorseman

rednorseman

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 02:12 PM

The banner is inspired work -very fine and I agree with the others -you criticize yourself too much. I'd love to be able to create a banner like that.
LOVE it!
cheers

#54 Montegue

Montegue

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,756 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 04:24 PM

The best part about this forum is how humbling it can be. Amazing work.

#55 thedeaddydwarf

thedeaddydwarf

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 04:55 PM

i will give my left foot for that army...

#56 Pahvivalmiste

Pahvivalmiste

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 101 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 05:26 AM

Thanks for the compliments. I'll try to tone my self-criticism down a bit, overally I'm pretty pleased with the project so far. It proceeds slower than I hoped, but proceeds nevertheless.

I do think that the wounded dwarf filler needs some extra stuff to the base, though :P

"None are superior to Dwarfs"? Did I guess right? :)

Yep :P The root phrase was "nemo est supra legis", which I saw translated "no one is above law". So I thought "no one is above dwarf" would be... ahem. I think "superior" is correct translation too, but I don't really know latin grammar :)

PS "thedeaddydwarf" no feet please, we're Brit... Finnish.

#57 Dirken Thorn

Dirken Thorn

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 841 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 09:39 AM

How was the banner produced? Printer? If that is free hand then I am truly humbled!

#58 Drakkol

Drakkol

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 01:05 PM

TI think "superior" is correct translation too, but I don't really know latin grammar :)

Translating the phrase "superior" is more suitable than "above", in this case...IMHO.

About grammar..."nanus" isn't correct..."nan-is" should be.
Nanus means "dwarf" as subject(nominative, singular), nanis(dative, plural, for indirect object complement) "to dwarfs". Well...my latin is a bit rusty. I studied it more than 15 years ago...

BUT...this could be something we call "latinorum" in Italy. It's a sort of joke to call something that sounds like Latin but is not correct latin. Like the one used in warhammer 40k.

Oh...i was forgetting to tell you the only important thing i had to write: my sincere compliments for these minis. :hi:

#59 Pahvivalmiste

Pahvivalmiste

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 101 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 04:46 AM

TI think "superior" is correct translation too, but I don't really know latin grammar :)

Translating the phrase "superior" is more suitable than "above", in this case...IMHO.

About grammar..."nanus" isn't correct..."nan-is" should be.
Nanus means "dwarf" as subject(nominative, singular), nanis(dative, plural, for indirect object complement) "to dwarfs". Well...my latin is a bit rusty. I studied it more than 15 years ago...

BUT...this could be something we call "latinorum" in Italy. It's a sort of joke to call something that sounds like Latin but is not correct latin. Like the one used in warhammer 40k.

Oh...i was forgetting to tell you the only important thing i had to write: my sincere compliments for these minis. :hi:

Oukie doukie, thanks for the info and compliments. I guess that using the singular "nanus" would require reconstructing the whole sentence? Anyways, I'll totally buy the "latinorum" explanation. Or maybe it's "vulgar latin" ;)

Edit: Dirken Thor, it's free hand.

Edited by Pahvivalmiste, 12 August 2012 - 04:55 AM.

#60 Theatralic

Theatralic

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,779 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 11:28 AM

:shok: That.army.will.kick.butt .

Love. plain and simple love.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: army, project, oop, dwarfs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users