• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Rurik Gorrun

Rurik Gorrun

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 12:42 PM

I have recently built up my army to around 1500 points with- 1 unit of Rangers with Great Weapons and Throwing axes.
1 unit of Longbeards with shields.
2 units of Thunderers with sheilds.
1 Cannon
1 Gyrocopter
and 1 Lord
My dad has an ogre army and i have been having a difficult beating him because i do not know of any decent tactics against ogres, or any other army for that matter. I would be very grateful for any tips, hints and tactics that another dwarf would be willing to share with me.

#2 ThaneWill

ThaneWill

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,979 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 12:53 PM

- How big are those units?
- Use a cannon, BOOM!

#3 Rurik Gorrun

Rurik Gorrun

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 04:03 PM

All units have 16 dwarfs in them.
And i have literally just ordered for another cannon.
Hehe!

#4 Lord Kildrak

Lord Kildrak

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 04:50 PM

Well, if you are running your lists with all great weapons, a unit of 16 will not hold against much in the game. I would bulk up on models for your combat units and then pepper his army with all the shooting you can muster. This is just me talking about how I would handle it, but I would draft some of your Longbeards (blasphemy I know) into Quarrellers. That gives them shooting right off the bat and then you can throw them some great weapons to make a difference in combat. Then I would put some runes on the artillery so they wouldn't cause trouble of their own.

But that is just my opinion, what do you want to do with your army? Out of the games that you have played, what are your ideas on how to stop the Ogres?

#5 Rurik Gorrun

Rurik Gorrun

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 05:03 PM

Cheers.
I dunno really, i would really like another unit of warriors just to give my units a bit more bulk and also a unit of Iron breakers would come in extremely useful. But what i have seen is that really because the ogres have such a high movement it is best to work out where they will charge from, try and get just out of range for that charge and hope you can charge them instead. But i really haven't had that much experience playing battles so i don't know many strategic moves.

#6 ThaneWill

ThaneWill

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,979 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 06:05 PM

consider units of 30 with great weapons.

Ironbreakers? againt ogres....... no..... unless you want to be a gnobler-slayer....

#7 Rurik Gorrun

Rurik Gorrun

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 06:51 PM

Why not Iron Breakers? What would work better?

#8 Wendersnaven

Wendersnaven

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,877 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 06:52 PM

I usually squash Ogres with Grudgethrowers: slam a unit with a S4 flaming in the center to dispell Trollguts, then hit em with the S5 gt. Once they drop to 8 bulls for a horde or just less if he's using smaller units of 9, you're golden.

Cannon/BT for Big stuff.

Edited by Wendersnaven, 04 March 2012 - 06:53 PM.

#9 Rurik Gorrun

Rurik Gorrun

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 07:02 PM

Hmmm ok so what would you say is the best war machine for killing ogres?

#10 ThaneWill

ThaneWill

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,979 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 07:05 PM

Why not Iron Breakers? What would work better?

Well, Ironbreakers are heavily armoured and have str. 4, Hammerrers are cheaper and strike way harder against those ogres. While especially GW-ogres and Maneater will break trough their defenses anyway.

(and, useally Ironguts and Maneaters are much taken.)

#11 Impy

Impy

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 05:46 PM

Cannons are pretty fantastic against Ogres. They have a lot of high priority targets, like Mournfangs, Thundertusks, and Ironblasters, that Dwarf Cannons absolutely wreck. Not only that, but Cannons are surprisingly effective against their rank and file (with a little luck).

I'm usually able to land cannon shots that trace through 4 ogres, and you've got better than average chances of killing an ogre hit outright. If you don't, the ball stops and the rest won't be wounded... but with a 2/3 chance of doing enough wounds to kill an Ogre (assuming you haven't already left one down a wound or two!), I've had a lot of shots where I took out 3-4 ogres outright, with no armor and no regen save (yay, flaming cannons!).

They also panic (relatively) easily compared to most enemies, so your shooting is more effective on average, and they tend to be somewhat more vulnerable to character sniping than most opponents.

#12 Rurik Gorrun

Rurik Gorrun

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 06:25 PM

Sweet, so would you say that a dwarf cannon is better than an organ gun?
Also i have been playing where the cannon shot stops dead at one ogre. Is that correctly done is is there another rule for that?

#13 the bearded one

the bearded one

The Spammer King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,393 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 07:45 PM

I guess it could help if we knew what units (and what size) the ogres are usually running.

#14 Rurik Gorrun

Rurik Gorrun

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 08:03 PM

1 unit of bulls (6)
1 unit of iron guts (6)
1 Butcher
1 Iron blaster
1 unit of lead belchers (4)
1 gorger

#15 Lord Kildrak

Lord Kildrak

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 09:16 PM

Cheers.
I dunno really, i would really like another unit of warriors just to give my units a bit more bulk and also a unit of Iron breakers would come in extremely useful. But what i have seen is that really because the ogres have such a high movement it is best to work out where they will charge from, try and get just out of range for that charge and hope you can charge them instead. But i really haven't had that much experience playing battles so i don't know many strategic moves.

If movement is what you want, may I suggest an Anvil of Doom. The models come in plastic (shudders) now and it will serve you well. If it is out of your price range you could make one or at the very least get a proxy base to use it on. The Anvil I find is great at slowing down the opponent's army with the rune of wrath and ruin and speed your units up to make a charge with the rune of Oath and Honour. That may help you win the movement phase. You also have to understand the importance of deployment. For Dwarves big mistakes cannot be made up with moving units during the game. Good deployment is key for a good set-up game to win. You may want to look at the handbook and see what it says about deployment and the Anvil.

http://www.bugmansbr...dwarf-handbook/

#16 Rurik Gorrun

Rurik Gorrun

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 09:37 PM

Yeah, i have the model for the anvil but haven't had chance to paint/make the model yet.
How would you (or anyone else) deploy the units i have to make the best strategic decisions?
Also are their any good tactics i could use against ogres? (E.g A tactical retreat and then reform near another unit?)

#17 Impy

Impy

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 11:29 PM

The cannonball only "stops dead" if it *fails* to kill the Ogre it hits. If it kills that Ogre outright, it continues and damages the next in line under the template, just like it would against normal infantry units.

#18 Rurik Gorrun

Rurik Gorrun

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 05:05 PM

Ahhhh ok thats usefu l to know cheers.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Tactics, Ogres, Dwarfs vs Ogres

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users