546 replies to this topic

#21 Squergi

Squergi

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,783 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 09:02 AM

Well the problem is your colour transition is too big. You need to mix more layers between dwarf flesh and elf flesh in the future. I'd just add more mid tone layers next to the Elf Flesh now but I'm sure glazing could work too (I've never tried that though) :D

:hi:

#22 dazza36

dazza36

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 09:14 AM

Give the flesh areas several coats of watered down dwarf flesh (lots of water 50/50) that should have the effect of bringing the elf highlight back to the dwarf colour, then you could go back and do a final highlight with elf. That would hopefully give you a more gradual highlight.

#23 Theatralic

Theatralic

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,779 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 10:35 PM

Thanks guys, I will try a glaze with dwarf flesh.

#24 Alebelly_Cragfist

Alebelly_Cragfist

Dwarf Of Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,346 posts
Contributor

Posted 26 September 2011 - 08:31 AM

Personally I don't think that was a bad effort at all. High contrast done well can often add a bit of drama to a mini. With a bit of tweaking he could well look like he was about to be engulfed in Dragon flame, like any good Slayers should aspire to! ;)

My skin goes from Dark Flesh all the way up to Skull White, with Devlan Mud washes early on followed by Gryphonne Sepia washes towards the end. It takes me ages and the amount of layers is unnecessary. I'm just a bit OCD about painting, it's a curse!

#25 Vidpui

Vidpui

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 964 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 08:24 PM

Dont do anything to it, it looks good. if the blends are too good you'll just see one colour from arms lenght. My dwarf flesh is just scorched brown, brown rose, ogryn flesh wash, brown rose again then elf flesh.

#26 Purplebeard

Purplebeard

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 04:20 PM

I second what Vidpui says. High contrast can look good at a distance too. It comes down to personal taste and what trade-off you are prepared to make between time/effort and results. Just carry on the way you are.

#27 Theatralic

Theatralic

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,779 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 04:43 PM

Thanks for all your replies guys. i fear some of you came too late . I washed the skin with ogryn flesh and than a really thin mixture of tallarn flesh and ogryn flesh.

And now i don`t know if I liked him better before or now, damn I am like a little boy in a candy shop who can`t decide what he wants. Anyways I will finish him and post pictures, I will start my first warrior horde, too.

Thanks again.

#28 Darkblade

Darkblade

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,484 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 11:08 AM

I think it looked good as it was too, pitty. You could always strip it and start again.

#29 Darkblade

Darkblade

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,484 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 11:08 AM

P.S. Don't give up!

#30 Theatralic

Theatralic

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,779 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 09:53 AM

Finally an Update, after a long Hiatus I am back to my Dwarfs, I hope this time for good. I finally finished that slayer and painted a "priest" which whom I am not too happy with, but he is Tableready -at the moment that is what is important to me. I realised I have to paint much often because thats the only way to improve, whith my long breaks it feels everytime like I am learning to paint from the beginning.

I am am happy with the slayer though. As ever: Advise and comments are really apreciated.

Cheers

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Theatralic, 29 April 2012 - 09:55 AM.

#31 Theatralic

Theatralic

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,779 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 01:45 AM

Here is the first finished model for my Warrior Unit, Bjarni Lazyeye. Thanks goes to Darkblade for his great step-by-step, quiet helpful, tell me what you think.
The picture isn`t that great sadly, need to improve my skills and equipment on that.

Posted Image

Edited by Theatralic, 07 June 2012 - 01:43 AM.

#32 Alebelly_Cragfist

Alebelly_Cragfist

Dwarf Of Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,346 posts
Contributor

Posted 02 May 2012 - 09:31 AM

Nice choice of colours and really like the Slayer. To make him pop a bit more, I'd paint the gem on his axe head as a gem rather than metal - if you choose a green gem, it would also tie back into the army colours and contrast well with the hair.

#33 Theatralic

Theatralic

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,779 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 04:12 PM

Thanks alebelly, finally a comment :-) . I never painted gems but I will try , there are some on the weapon of the warrior, too.The bowl of the wizard needs to be redone ( acually I am thinking about repainting him completlyl, I am not happy with him).

I wiil try to post the next modelt tonight ( since I am at university pretty much the whole day, I paint at night , who needs sleep this days :lol2: )

#34 grimni22

grimni22

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 07:31 AM

about the slayer, he looks good but I personally think his beard could be brighter. the slayers actually dye their hair so itdoesn't matter that much if it looks unnatrally bright? brighter will make him pop :)

but thats just me :P

good luck with your army, its starting to look great!

#35 Theatralic

Theatralic

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,779 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 09:24 AM

Thank you grmini, i wil hink about that, he had brighter hair but I wasn`t that fond about it so I toned it down. At the moment I am finishing some warriors so I can show 5 of them or so.

Edited by Theatralic, 05 May 2012 - 02:12 PM.

#36 Theatralic

Theatralic

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,779 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 02:18 PM

I am getting there, some of the models I had allready started to paint I tried to blend them in with the newer ones, hoping to finist additonal 3 or so by tonight.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#37 Theatralic

Theatralic

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,779 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 11:18 AM

still a long way to go, but I am having a blast painting them. Its a wild mix, i know but thats what I like, everxdwarf who is able to , graps a weapon and goes to defend his home :)

Some questions come to mind:

I wanted the use the new shields from the plastics, but now I am not sure anymore, what do you guys think?

I am thinking about a second Unitfiller on a Monsterbase, do you think thats too much?

Anything i should change about the painting, tips from the pros?

Posted Image

#38 Vidpui

Vidpui

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 964 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 11:52 AM

Coming along beautifully Theatralic!

I think with the back story for the unit, if it needs a shield give it a shield, if doesnt then dont :) A mixture of old and new shields would look good.

i like the idea of a second unit filler, it will help break up the sea of dwarfs, but it depends on how big what you put on the monster base is. Perhaps maybe add a couple of 2x1 20mm bases with (very) low walls or fences just be give some space between ranks, sometimes big units just become a blur cos theres just so many of them lol Maybe a 4x1 with a clothesline would would be cool, as if they are gathering just outside the Hold.

Your painting is top notch! And the bases are pretty awesome, mine are still just sand and stacic grass lol

All in all great unit, and looking forward to seeing them all painted!

Vidpui

#39 Theatralic

Theatralic

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,779 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 08:55 PM

Your painting is top notch! And the bases are pretty awesome, mine are still just sand and stacic grass lol

All in all great unit, and looking forward to seeing them all painted!

Vidpui

You don`t know what it means to hear that from someone with your skills, thank you :)

I agree with all of your points regarding the Unitfillers, i will sit down and try to come up with some concepts.

Mixing shields sounds good, now I have to go and look for old shields on ebay. I will get some of the hasslefre shields you used on your dwarfs, too , I like how big they are...and some Scibor shields but i think I will use them on the more elite Units.

#40 neZna1ka

neZna1ka

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 129 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 11:08 AM

I don't like new shields.
As my friend spoke: "The main thing that the filler good \beautiful was"

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: defeating the slacker in me, oop, vintage, dwarf, army, blog

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users