25 replies to this topic

#21 TakedaShingen

TakedaShingen

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 09:07 AM

Found some interesting information online about Nordic Shields that I want to incorporate into the clan's development page. It makes [warhammertag83]ME[/warhammertag83] glad cuz i am in the middle of giving all my soldiers round shields (many have shields of various shapes and sizes as they are mostly oop). Nords used round shields almost exclusively and painted them in geometric patterns. Most were made of lime wood.

#22 TakedaShingen

TakedaShingen

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 01 January 2006 - 10:44 AM

Here is the army general - just finished this weekend (Jan 1 2006).
IPB Image
Snorre Sturlasson and his Shieldbearers from the front...
IPB Image
...and from the rear...
IPB Image
...and a detail shot.

#23 Gorim Uthersson

Gorim Uthersson

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 11:17 AM

Overall this is a very good figure, but one thing looks "bad" in compare to the rest of the model - the "bone - like" part of the cloth, there should be more highlights there, because now it looks to sharp and "average".

All in all great:)

PS: well, because I am a viking reenacter and medieval history "freak" use of all the names and "ideas" without almost any change is bit "not right" for me, but well...

PS2: Norse dwarfs shouldn't have ironclads.. They should have normal boats, also they shouldn't have to many gunpowder weapons. Remember that the connection between Norse dwarfs and "Imperial dwarfs" was lost for centuries, and they met after many hundred years in the time of Magnus The Pious...

#24 TakedaShingen

TakedaShingen

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 05:56 AM

thanks for the advice GU. i came to the same conclusion about the ironclads a while back, but havent updated this at all. thanks for the feedback on teh model too. the highlights are not as good as some of the masters on the brewery. still, practice makes perfect.
as for the names - just following GW tradition and ripping off things when my imagination is insufficient wink.gif

#25 TakedaShingen

TakedaShingen

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 04 March 2006 - 04:13 PM

After receiveing complaints that Sturlasson wasnt painted well enough I got thinking about WHY its not. Its got to be that I have started too many units but not finished enough...

So here is the list I think I will paint up and use over 2006. Once I am done with it I will develop a completely different list for Skade's hold - featuring 2 units of Iron Breakers, the Dragon Company, Slayers and Miners.

Anyway, here is the List of Kazad Sturlasson.

24 warriors with shields, std, muso 231
16 hammerers with shields, FC 238
10 thunderers 144
12 xbows with shields 144
8 miners 88

Lord Snorre with S/bearers, RoS, RoPres, GW 196
Runesmith Volund with 2 scrolls and shield 122
BSB Brage 90
Stone Thrower with R o Burning 85
Bolt Thrower with Engineer Limpin' Valand 60