#61 Magni Flamebeard

Magni Flamebeard

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,209 posts
Contributor

Posted 10 May 2005 - 11:07 AM

Abso-bloody-lutely awesome work Orcslicer! Brilliant, as usual!

Is this the end, or is there going to be a conclusion piece?

#62 Orcslicer

Orcslicer

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,415 posts
Contributor

Posted 10 May 2005 - 11:55 AM

Theres going to be probably one last conclusion wrap-up piece and then i'll neaten the stuff up and add it to preachers with the rest of the fluff.

Now I need to think up a new writing project :shock:. Thanks to everyone whos already replied!

#63 Durgrim Ironbeard

Durgrim Ironbeard

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 02:11 PM

Exellent stuff Orcslicer. Really well written.

I like the litany Drokki chanted as the deamon advanced on him. Would make a brilliant scene for a film! tongue.gif

I look forward to the conclusion and your further saga's! grin.png

#64 Burlok Blackaxe

Burlok Blackaxe

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 11 May 2005 - 09:13 AM

"I swear too much" awesome stuff Orcslicer "I swear too much" awesome

#65 Hairy

Hairy

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 07:41 PM

I have just read your entire saga and boy was it long but "I swear too much" it was definetly worth it.What a story,what a dwarf.

#66 Daft

Daft

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,878 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 09:33 PM

Bravo Orcslicer. Is the epic done? Is there an aftermath? What is your next plan?

#67 Orcslicer

Orcslicer

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,415 posts
Contributor

Posted 20 May 2005 - 09:41 AM

Looking round the gulley, Drokki let out a dejected sigh. The broken bodies of over a thousand skaven and dwarfs littered the valley, its grassy slopes sodden with blood. Most of the survivors were milling around, a mixture of triumph and misery in their expressions. The bright daylight was begging to fade as the sun dipped low in the sky, dying the clouds a deep crimson, a mockery of the blood that had been spilt during the day. Drokki sighed again, reaching down for the hammerhorn and reattaching it firmly to his belt.
“Back up to the hold men” ordered Drokki sullenly, “Bring the wounded with you.”

The haggard dwarfs formed a rough marching column with Drokki at its head and began to progress slowly towards the hold, carrying the wounded between them. They spoke little amongst each other, silently taking in the carnage that had ravaged a once peaceful community.
“Balik, we need to reorganise defences as soon as possible, our hold lies open to any foe who wishes [warhammertag127]US[/warhammertag127] harm. Tell Grogar–”
“He fell sire. ‘gainst the daemon...” Interjected Balik, motioning back towards where Grogar had fought the greater daemon.
Subdued they passed through the broken gateway in silence, walking through the deserted subterranean realm of Karaz-a-gnoll. The bitter street fighting from the night before was still apparent, with hastily made barricades scattered around the streets, mingled with the odd broken weapon or corpse. As they moved towards the city centre, Drokki granted the survivors permission to return to their homes in the residential quarter and many dispersed into the surrounding streets and alleys.

Drokki sat down heavily on his ornate gold throne, a gift from nearby Karak Hirn from several centuries past. His body ached all over from the days fighting, and blood seeped from the wounds his runic armour had failed to protect him from. Pushing discomfort to the back of his mind [warhammertag56]HE[/warhammertag56] surveyed the council that had met only two days before. A pitifully small number remained; almost two thirds were missing from the room. Drokki tried to count them off in his head. Of his fifteen thanes only six stood around the throne, Grogar, his close friend, dead. Dorin Skalflinson, Ironbeard and protector of the underway, dead. Many of the city elders, longbeards of centuries past, all dead. Few of the hold’s runesmiths were present, most noticeably absent was the runelord Vungar Gotrason, the oldest and wisest elder of the hold. Drokki glanced towards Balik, who noticed him staring at the runelord’s empty place and replied before Drokki could ask of his fate.
“He lives y’ lordship. I foun’ him on the floor bleedin’ t’ death. The dwarf’s got some resolve in him though I’ll give you that. I got a couple of beardlings to carry him up t’ infirmary where [warhammertag56]HE[/warhammertag56]’s getting’ patched up.”
Drokki smiled and his face lifted with relief.
“Balik, it’s going to be a long night. The names of the dead need to be recorded in the Dammaz Kron before [warhammertag132]WE[/warhammertag132] do anything else tonight. Go and get yourself a drink at the troll’s head, I hear its one of the few taverns left standing.” he said warmly. Balik nodded courteously and left the room, grateful for a chance to rest his weary limbs.

Balik walked leisurely through the worn stone corridors of the citadel, past tapestries of great hero’s from millennia ago. His great beard was tangled and knotted, sprayed with grime and blood from the days fighting. He reached for his small oakwood pipe as [warhammertag56]HE[/warhammertag56] passed two hammerer guards standing guard at the small gateway to the inner fortress of the city. They allowed him through respectfully, and Balik had to admire their flawless stances, despite the fatigue in their limbs.

He sauntered through the streets of the residential quarter, dappled oil lamps lighting the pathways at regular intervals. Balik was surprised at how quickly the survivors had readapted to their normal lives, with the lamp lighters completing their regular rounds as normal. As [warhammertag56]HE[/warhammertag56] turned the corner [warhammertag56]HE[/warhammertag56] saw the lights of the troll’s head glowing invitingly at the end of the street, the tavern sign swinging merrily in the wind and the usual raised voices filtering through the open windows into the cool night air. Picking his way through the debris and round several dwarf maidens vainly attempting to sweep the streets using worn straw brooms, Balik smiled. Life was quickly returning to normal, maybe it wouldn’t be to hard to pick up the pieces and continue with their lives after all. The door rang merrily as Balik stepped into the tavern for a relaxing pint of Bugman’s XXXXXX.

Durak Greymane stopped talking for the first time in hours. Sitting in his favourite chair by the fire [warhammertag56]HE[/warhammertag56] had finished the great saga with an air of triumph. He paused to swig down some ale to soothe his arid throat and chew on some venison that [warhammertag56]HE[/warhammertag56] had ordered earlier in the evening.
“Four in five dwarfs died that terrible day. The hold was almost crippled. Luckily some of the runners sent out to the other holds arrived back the day after the battle, bringing with them reinforcements from other holds as well as supplies to help with the rebuilding effort.” Durak looked round pointedly at his audience as [warhammertag56]HE[/warhammertag56] paused. “A dwarf never forgets a promise kept or help offered, but neither does [warhammertag56]HE[/warhammertag56] forget a grudge. The deaths caused by the treacherous skaven have not yet been struck out from the records of the Dammaz Kron, but you mark my words young un’s someday [warhammertag132]WE[/warhammertag132]’ll get our revenge…” He trailed off and glowered into the bottom of his hand-carved tankard, recalling the wrongs done to his race.

“Master Greymane..? Sir..? May I ask how the horn summoned the daemon, and what became of it after the battle?” a rather timid barmaid asked from the bar as she haphazardly washed plates in the sink.
“Aye young missy,” replied Durak with a courteous nod. “There are several schools of thought on the matter, but fr’m the most reliable records I’ve studied it seems the account of Vungar Gotrason was the most factually based. See, the horn was made by the craftsmanship of the ancestors themselves at the dawn of the world itself. Inscribed with a powerful rune by each of the ancestors and decorated with the rarest and most precious stones in the old world. Then was the coming of chaos, from the little gathered from those times before the ancestors’ disappearance, it seemed the horn began to act as a siphon to the winds of magic.” An uncomfortable silence followed Durak’s comment. The dwarves had a grave mistrust of [warhammertag106]RAW[/warhammertag106] magic, and disliked association with it. Durak mentally shrugged, and after taking another fortifying gulp of ale continued.
“From the records it appears it was presented to Snorri Whitebeard, the first high king of the dwarf’s, and, he in turn entrusted it to our clan to guard its secret from our enemies. Although it had the power to do good fer our people, an unprepared mind could just as easily be ensnared into serving the powers of chaos. It should never have been discovered by our enemies, and it’s our duty to ensure it’s not used again unless grave urgency calls fer it. For the past three millennia it has rarely left the vaults under the great temple overlooking the city, where it is guarded under lock and key.”

Durak drained the last of the dregs from his ale and stood ungainly to his feet. An evening of constant storytelling mingled with drinking had given him a rather redder nose that usual, but otherwise [warhammertag56]HE[/warhammertag56] was no worse for wear. He draped his travelling cloak over himself and tightened the catch around his throat. “So that concludes the saga of Drokki Hirndour fer you all. I only hope I get this much enthusiasm fer tomorrow’s teaching – Why a dwarf’s only as big as his beard.” A collective groan echoed quietly round the tavern as Durak made his way to the door. He passed the usual oddball collection of visitors on the way out, a group of northern looking smiths playing cards with a manling in flamboyant garb, a cluster of five cloaked figures sat quietly in a corner, examining a pair of keys held up by one of them. Finally, as [warhammertag56]HE[/warhammertag56] reached the door [warhammertag56]HE[/warhammertag56] passed a ragtag group of dwarfs arguing good naturedly amongst themselves over concoctions of ale. The most noticeable of them a nautical fellow, with a rather odd looking lizard perched on his shoulder.
“I’m tellin’ yer Rufus. Blun’buss brew’s bin a shipshape drink in m’ family fer over tenscore years–” roared the pirate to one of his companions, who was wheezing and clutching his stomach, muttering undiscernibly. Durak shook his head and smiled as [warhammertag56]HE[/warhammertag56] walked out of the tavern and into the streets. You got some odd sorts passing through karaz-a-gnoll, some very odd folk indeed. Humming an old sea shanty to himself, he trudged down the cobblestone street [warhammertag56]HE[/warhammertag56] made his way slowly home.

And that ladies and gentle-dwarfs was the saga of Drokki Hirndour! I hope you enjoyed reading it as much as I did writing it, and hopefully I shall put quill to paper again soon. I’d just like to thank anyone who commented on it while I was starting out, as without the encouragement I got I probably would’ve never finished!

(I shall be soon moving the saga to preacher’s corner where it should rightfully belong, at least until Bugaman sorts out the glitch in submitting stories to the library…)

#68 Bran Irongrip

Bran Irongrip

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,810 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 09:47 AM

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

Brilliant stuff Orcslicer! Wow, you and Grimgar finished within days of each other, obviously that's the perfect sagatelling length grin.png

Not a lot else to say really, have a drink on [warhammertag83]ME[/warhammertag83] and good luck uploading it to the library! grin.png

#69 Magni Flamebeard

Magni Flamebeard

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,209 posts
Contributor

Posted 20 May 2005 - 09:49 AM

Wow. That was absolutely brilliant work Orcslicer. A rousing and excellent end to a rousing and excellent saga!

That would be two fluffateers who have finished their sagas! Hopefully Durgrim will complete his tale soon! What are the chances of you writing another saga BTW?

#70 Orcslicer

Orcslicer

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,415 posts
Contributor

Posted 20 May 2005 - 09:52 AM

Don't know yet Grimgar :shock: . I was thinking of trying my hand at a more narrative tale like Chiz and Grantos have done... I'll see how it goes, although I think i'll break off for my exams...

#71 grantos

grantos

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 10:49 AM

Fantastic end, just read the lot in this hour of college, gotta go for an hour break.

Fantastic stuff it really is, inspired [warhammertag83]ME[/warhammertag83] to get on with my own stuff!

#72 Durgrim Ironbeard

Durgrim Ironbeard

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 11:42 AM

=D> Brilliant stuff master Orcslicer. Or should [warhammertag132]WE[/warhammertag132] be calling you Durak Greymane from now? tongue.gif :wink:

I really hope you'll be writting more in the future! grin.png Good luck with the exams and such like!

Brilliant stuff Orcslicer! Wow, you and Grigar finished within days of each other, obviously that's the perfect sagatelling length

:oops: My saga is already a fair bit longer than these and i'm no way near finishing. :? Hope its not a bad thing!

Congratulations again Orcslicer (Durak :wink: ) and a barrel of Bugmans finest is in order i feel. grin.png

#73 Orcslicer

Orcslicer

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,415 posts
Contributor

Posted 20 May 2005 - 01:25 PM

Cheers to you both Durgrim and Grantos, and I wish you luck with completing both your saga's. Hope its as good as the rest of your tales so far...

#74 grantos

grantos

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 02:22 PM

Well now you've finished yours there's more pressure on [warhammertag83]ME[/warhammertag83] and Durgrim to finish ours because the focus will be on [warhammertag127]US[/warhammertag127] :shock:

But then of course it gives you an excuse to begin work on something new, which will be brilliant I'm sure!

#75 Durgrim Ironbeard

Durgrim Ironbeard

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 02:58 PM

QUOTE(grantos)
Well now you've finished yours there's more pressure on [warhammertag83]ME[/warhammertag83] and Durgrim to finish ours because the focus will be on [warhammertag127]US[/warhammertag127] :shock:

Oh cripes. Im still around 20 odd instalments away from finishing. At a total guess. I've done 14 so far (as far as i remember) and its 24,000 odd words long :shock: :?

It could end up as a stupidly big size. :?
Hmmm.......need to think about this one!

#76 Daft

Daft

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,878 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 04:45 PM

Now, that is a proper ending to a tale. Thanks for taking the time to share it with [warhammertag127]US[/warhammertag127]. It was quite a hit.

#77 Hairy

Hairy

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 06:32 PM

Orcslicer, i take my hat and the hats of all my kin off to you on the completion of this most awesome of sagas.Im still lost for words and just wish to say that it has been an honour to read your work and long may it continue in the same vein.

#78 Burlok Blackaxe

Burlok Blackaxe

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 21 May 2005 - 05:41 AM

Bravo Orcslicer bravo =D> =D> this is one of th best stories I've ever read. I hope your next tale will be as good as this.

#79 Orcslicer

Orcslicer

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,415 posts
Contributor

Posted 23 May 2005 - 10:32 AM

QUOTE(Burlok Blackaxe)
Bravo Orcslicer bravo =D> =D> this is one of th best stories I've ever read. I hope your next tale will be as good as this.

So do I Burlok, but i'll need some kind of plan smile.gif :? . For a month or so I think i'll hang my quill while I get through my exams. It'll give [warhammertag83]ME[/warhammertag83] time to finish painting those clansmen too :shock: . See you on the other side people...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users