71 replies to this topic

#1 Durgrim Ironbeard

Durgrim Ironbeard

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 09 February 2005 - 11:14 AM

My hold is Karaz Grong, or anvil mountain in the umgi tongue!
(though no one here should have been need to be told that)

The colours of my hold are predominately a medium tone blue (festering), but with hints of dark greens and whites!

I am the King of Karaz Grong, but much to my dismay my clan had to flee the hold after a combined attack from greenskins above and the foul skaven from below!
*grumbles into beard*
The skaven are clan Merkit and had been beaten off of the hold for literaly hundreds of years! They broke the ranks of ironbreakers with foul sorcery and weaponary!
There is almost an entire tome of the holds grudges recorded against this clan and [warhammertag132]WE[/warhammertag132] have all vowed eternal vengance upon them!

The hold is to the north of Karak Azul (where i am currently residing and planing the retake of my hold and gromril crown) and to the east of Karak Eight Peaks. We shared many family ties with that off the queen of the silver deeps before it fell.
Our hold was taken from [warhammertag127]US[/warhammertag127] in a very similar way to that of the Eight Peaks and it makes my beard bristle with rage when i think of it!

The hold was originaly formed as a mining settlement due to the large vein of gromril ore found there. This accounts for the large numbers of ironbreakers in the holds deeps, defending its wells from poison by the skaven (like in Karak Eight Peaks) and patroling the tunnels, protecting the many miners at work there!

The name Karaz Grong was founded after bitter years of fighting where every army that attacked was hammered upon the mountain in the furnace of battle against the dwarves!

There is also a powerful runesmith and great personal friend of mine that resides here with [warhammertag83]ME[/warhammertag83] in Karak Azul. Thalgrim Grudgehammer! He is a venerable runelord and has many grudges to against the foul ratmen! They killed his wife as [warhammertag132]WE[/warhammertag132] fled the hold!
He could not take the slayer oath as [warhammertag56]HE[/warhammertag56] has resigned himself to taking back the hold with [warhammertag83]ME[/warhammertag83] and continuing his great runework there. He also has a son, Malgrim, that is becoming a fine young engineer.
My own son is Durak and a great leader of his ironbreakers in the deeps of Karak Azul (despite his young age of 114) and wields a potent rune axe forged for him by Thalgrim!
He is definately a hazkal!

Together [warhammertag132]WE[/warhammertag132] shall retake our great hold and reopen the mines there! Great Grungni willing!
Of course there will be many grudges avenged upon that road!

Anyone like my fluff at all?

#2 Orcslicer

Orcslicer

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,415 posts
Contributor

Posted 09 February 2005 - 01:59 PM

Sounds good, I like the link with Karak eight peaks, considering you've shared a similar fate with them its good to link it in. Oh and your post isnt too long you should see my saga posts!

Follow the link on my signature if you want too read them, i still havent got many comments.

#3 Durgrim Ironbeard

Durgrim Ironbeard

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 09 February 2005 - 02:35 PM

Cheers for the nice comments Orcslicer!

Ive read the first part of your saga and liked it! Posted a reply too!

Will read the second part soon!

#4 Rik Riorik

Rik Riorik

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,651 posts

Posted 10 February 2005 - 11:29 AM

To think I forgot about answering this post...and now you're pleading for replies. No dwarf in the Brewery should ever have to do that.

The idea for the Hold seems perfectly nice to [warhammertag83]ME[/warhammertag83], although I personally prefer to be from the already created holds. I guess the reason why no one's really replied to your post is that there really isn't anything wrong with it. I think it is good and wholesome and definetly some good buttocks. Just flesh it out more, since contrary to your belief it isn't too long. Stories about the olden days can never be too long, at least not when [warhammertag127]US[/warhammertag127] Dawi are concerned!

#5 Durgrim Ironbeard

Durgrim Ironbeard

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 10 February 2005 - 11:50 AM

Cheers for the comments Rik. Much appreciated. Have a beer on [warhammertag83]ME[/warhammertag83].

The reason i decided to create my own hold, as opposed to come from an existing one is that i could develop its story as my actual army develops!
Though i did try to make ties in with other holds, Karak Azul and Karak Eight Peaks.
Plus i could write VERY long sagas about the hold and will have full artistic liscence to write about anything i want. With an existing hold i'd have to stick to the defined history of the hold and couldn't write about anything to drastic.
Guess i just have an over active imagination that needs to be vented!

There will be more info soon on the hold, and also the weapon of Durgrim Ironbeard, the spike hammer!

#6 Maxxev

Maxxev

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,075 posts

Posted 10 February 2005 - 01:04 PM

yep seems fine, i'm with Rik, but only cause I really coulent be bothered to make up a new hold and I like the colour scheme of whichever hold is mine (the blue and read one... is it Karak Hirn?) But I have my own Clan within its walls, and the Glorious Clan of Krumfinn, is a great clan within the Hold, the Kings royal guard indeed!, 35 odd hammerers, the same again in ironbreakers, 3 Nobles 1 Runelord 4 thanes, 3 engineers, 1 Runesmith, 20 longbeards, 140 warrirors, 30 x-bows, 35 Thunderers, 4 bolt throwers, 2 cannons, 2 organ guns, 2 gyros, 1 flame cannon, 1 stone thrower, etc.

Also the Clan of Krumfinn, supports the re-taking of holds 100%!

#7 Durgrim Ironbeard

Durgrim Ironbeard

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 10 February 2005 - 01:38 PM

Thats a very impressive throng Maxxev.
What is it roughly in points value?
How long have you been collecting?

I raise my tankard to you, and bow so low my beard scrapes the floor.

I only have around 3000 points worth, that i'm just finishing painting at the moment! Not a very dedicated painter, i get distracted *cough* ale *cough* laugh.gif
Am getting better though! tongue.gif

Am looking to have at least 10,000 points when i'm done!
Maybe more!

#8 Durgrim Ironbeard

Durgrim Ironbeard

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 11 February 2005 - 03:01 PM

This is a continuation on some fluff for my hold and characters!

Durgrim Ironbeard is working in the mines and also as a weaponsmith whilst staying in Karak Azul. This is to keep him strong and also because being around anvils reminds him of his own hold and keeps his grudges white hot and to the fore of his mind!
During his time in the forges [warhammertag56]HE[/warhammertag56] gained experience in armour smithying and his thoughts returned to war with his enemies once again! Whilst punching holes through solid metal armour [warhammertag56]HE[/warhammertag56] stumbled upon the idea for a new weapon!
The idea being that if a piece of metal is heated to a very high temperature and a metal spike driven through it with a hammer, it punches a hole in the armour!
Seeing that his ancestral hammer was left in the rune locked vaults of his old hold when [warhammertag56]HE[/warhammertag56] had to escape [warhammertag56]HE[/warhammertag56] needed a new powerful weapon.

He went to his old friend and asked im if a weapon like this could be made! Thalgrim Grudgehammer assured him it was possible. But would take time and much gold.
After a full month of working together the spike hammer of Durgrim Ironbeard was forged!
A normal looking dwarf warhammer, but on one side of its head there is a large spike protruding from the surface. Thalgrim has worked a rune into the spike, so that when in battle it heats up just as if it had been plunged into the molten heart of the furnace, though the spike and entire head of the hammer is made from gromril, so its stays harder than tempered steel even at that heat!

Along the shaft of the hammer there are two strips of gromril running the length of the shaft, so that blows can be parryed and caught upon the axe shaft and a devestating counter sent back at the foe! There are still spaces for Durgrim to place his hands upon the shaft though!

This double headed weapon can be used in two ways! One is as a normal hammer and the second is to use the white hot side of the hammer. This will leave large smoking holes through the strongest of armour and come as a nasty surprise to many foes!

Once work on the hammer was complete Durgrim wished to test it in battle as soon as possible! He doned his rune encrusted armour, that [warhammertag56]HE[/warhammertag56] was wearind during the escape from Karaz Grong and headed into the lower workings of Karak Azul with his son, Durak and a contingent of ironbreakers to fight the greenskin skum of the blueface tribe that infested the very lower workings of the hold.

#9 Durgrim Ironbeard

Durgrim Ironbeard

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 11 February 2005 - 03:05 PM

Any thoughts or opinions? :oops:

i can write a story about this battle and post it in preacher corner, if anyone would like to hear it? tongue.gif

#10 Bran Irongrip

Bran Irongrip

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,810 posts

Posted 11 February 2005 - 05:05 PM

Like it Durgrim, good solid stuff there. Give the preacher corner thing a go, but be warned that many people won't go in there on a regular basis as it often takes a while to read entire stories...must take longer to write them though, which is why I'm waiting until after my dissertation :X to write some stuff about Durazi.

If you do give it a go, I'll do my best to give it a good read! grin.png

#11 Durgrim Ironbeard

Durgrim Ironbeard

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 11 February 2005 - 05:39 PM

Cheers Bran. Thanks for the comments.

I'll give it a go! Have alreaded drafted the start out!
Shouldn't take [warhammertag83]ME[/warhammertag83] too long to finish it. Maybe i'll do it in several parts, so its easier for people to read!
Could try and make it short, but that wouldn't be very saga'esque would it laugh.gif

Or i could just do a whole series of shortish stories about the reclaiming of my hold! Hmmmm ideas formulating! grin.png

I remember my dissertation! By Grungni i was almost tearing out my beard! I almost shaved my head and renamed myself Dissnir Grudgebearer! laugh.gif tongue.gif

#12 Bran Irongrip

Bran Irongrip

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,810 posts

Posted 11 February 2005 - 05:51 PM

Well I'm heading down the route of Lazyass Studentdrinker atm :roll: Although I shall be morphing into Swiftquill Writesalot as of this coming tuesday cry.png

Anyway, back on topic: it's up to you which style you go for, it's your story grin.png I'm just saying that I tend to read the really long stories only when I've got a lot of time on my hands...not because they're dull (far from it)...but because it can take a while grin.png

Good luck! grin.png

#13 Durgrim Ironbeard

Durgrim Ironbeard

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 14 February 2005 - 11:17 AM

Dissertations are the work of the chaos gods. I'm sure of it.
Sent to this world to drive people to insanity!

I've posted the first part of my story now. Its in preacher corner under the title 'The test of mettle and metal'.

Would be grateful if people had a look. tongue.gif

#14 Durgrim Ironbeard

Durgrim Ironbeard

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 02:57 PM

If anyone is interested i have now finished three short stories that have become the start of a long saga about the retaking of my ancestral hold.
They are in the preachers corner section under the title 'The test of mettle and metal'

I am currently working on a fourth instalement!

#15 Orcslicer

Orcslicer

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,415 posts
Contributor

Posted 21 February 2005 - 12:11 PM

Yeah i'll be looking out for it. PM [warhammertag83]ME[/warhammertag83] when your done.

And while [warhammertag132]WE[/warhammertag132]'re on the subject, the saga of Drokki Hirndour (part 3)conclusion is 3/4 done. Wont be long now!

#16 Durgrim Ironbeard

Durgrim Ironbeard

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 02:24 PM

The fourth instalement was done on friday, go check it out!

No battling though! Looking forward to seeing more of your stuff Orcslicer.

#17 Maxxev

Maxxev

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,075 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 03:23 PM

just read your question about haw many points i had.. think i answerd this elsewhere since but just to make sure:

8911 points (plus a second alrik is in the post (going to convert a king). I i have no hold, i'm just one clan in Karak Norn I think it is (where is Karak Norn... should realy know this is suppose)?
10 years in april, but only 5 with dwarves

#18 Durgrim Ironbeard

Durgrim Ironbeard

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 03:42 PM

I think you answered [warhammertag83]ME[/warhammertag83] in a PM a while back!

Still pretty impressive. Just need to get painting them eh? laugh.gif
Just like [warhammertag83]ME[/warhammertag83]! My first 300 points is almost done! grin.png Finaly. Taken nearly 5 years to paint. :oops:

#19 Orcslicer

Orcslicer

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,415 posts
Contributor

Posted 22 February 2005 - 11:41 AM

Only 5? I'm seven years in and they're still not done :oops: . And yet i've managed to paint my empire, and skaven are on the way...

#20 Durgrim Ironbeard

Durgrim Ironbeard

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 22 February 2005 - 11:47 AM

Sounds to [warhammertag83]ME[/warhammertag83] like you may have your priorities wrong young man! tongue.gif laugh.gif

How many points worth do you have then? Of dwarves that is. And how much painted?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users