9 replies to this topic

#1 Skull Krusher

Skull Krusher

Skazastoki

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,069 posts

Posted 20 January 2023 - 05:36 AM

How would both Umgi and Dawi tell someone what hour in the day is.  Candle marks.

Nippon and Cathay did it by the following:

• 11:00 PM to 1:00 AM is the hour of the Rat.
  • 1:00 AM to 3:00 AM is the hour of the Ox.
  • 3:00 AM to 5:00 AM is the hour of the Tiger.
  • 5:00 AM to 7:00 AM is the hour of the Rabbit.
  • 7:00 AM to 9:00 AM is the hour of the Dragon.
  • 9:00 AM to 11:00 AM is the hour of the Snake.
  • 11:00 AM to 1:00 PM is the hour of the Horse.
  • 1:00 PM to 3:00 PM is the hour of the Goat.
  • 3:00 PM to 5:00 PM is the hour of the Monkey.
  • 5:00 PM to 7:00 PM is the hour of the Rooster.
  • 7:00 PM to 9:00 PM is the hour of the Dog.
  • 9:00 PM to 11:00 PM is the hour of the Pig.

or perhaps this:

The list of twelve Horae (Goddess of the seasons) representing the twelve hours of the day is recorded only in Late Antiquity, by Nonnus.

1. Auge (first light)
  2. Anatole (sunrise)]
  3. Mousike (morning hour of music and study)
  4. Gymnastike (morning hour of exercise)
  5. Nymphe (morning hour of ablutions)
  6. Mesembria (noon)
  7. Sponde (libations poured after lunch)
  8. Elete (prayer)
  9. Akte (eating and pleasure)
  10. Hesperis (start of evening)
  11. Dysis (sunset)
  12. Arktos (night sky)

So my fellow Dawi what would you do?

What animals or perhaps weapons or tools would you replace for the first set of hours to be truly Dawi

Edited by Skull Krusher, 20 January 2023 - 05:36 AM.

#2 Thunderförge

Thunderförge

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 22 January 2023 - 12:16 AM

The longbeard sat beneath the large clock in the crossroad cavern, nodding into his beard. His snore woke him and looked up sharply. "Oh yes, where was I?" he grunted. 
"First time of the day is know as First-light. Now let me get this straight, it ain't sun up! All those forges and workshops need the furnaces hot and the boilers primed afore any work can start, so some bugger's gotta get down there a few hours early and light the fires first. That's while everyone else is still asleep y'see.
Course, some of the poorer lads can't afford clocks, so they pay a few coppers for a knocker-upper, a beardling who's job it is to wake 'em up. He'll run round the poorer parts of the Hold knocking on doors an hour or so before first shift. This is when they'll be drinking up breakfast and grabbing something to eat. Enough time for a quick preen of the beard, grab pick and duds and head to work.
Most dwarfs will be at work before the sun comes up over the mountain, and often be still at it after it's down. Five til Nine is a pretty standard shift across the board. A couple of hours in we usually stop for a smoke break, and mid-shift there's a yell of "Grubzup!", which is time to stop for a bowl of heartwarming stew. At the end of shift a steam-whistle or bell marks time. Often a night-shift will come in and take over, especially in busy Holds like Zhufbar. Then it's all off for a mug of ale on the way home.
Once back at the home-hearth there's time for an evening meal. As us dwarfs live in clan units even the unmarried lads'll have a communal meal waiting for them. Then an hour or so for leisure, usually unwinding at the forge after a long day at the forge. If y'don't appreciate the irony of this, we metal-smiths certainly do.
Then it's off to bed. O'course some of the more... err... "committed" artisans have been known to work for days without sleep if they're engaged in a special job. Runesmiths are well known for this, but many mundane trades can become an obsession as well. 

As for measuring time, there's a few ways. When you're many leagues below the earth ye can't keep an eye on the sun, so we use geared clocks, marked candles, or a sand-glass. A few songs are around an hour long so you can mark a rough time in yer head. We split the day into it's hours and numbered them, and passed that on to the manlings. I hear the elves have given the hours each to their gods, which frankly I don't see much point in, some would have to be waiting all day for and others would be woken up early for. Very disrespectful if you ask me!
I suppose the truest dwarvish measure of time is the Age, great lengths of hist'ry named for what was happening at the time. You manlings will have heard of the Golden Age, the Time of Woes, or the War of Vengeance, but amongst our people are known the Age of Steam, when the Engineer's Guilds first approved commonplace use of the steam engine; the Age of Hydraulics, the Blast-furnace Renaissance, the Fire-Lamp Conflict, and not least, the Black-Powder Age. These all marked times of bitter conflict between clans as the changes rocked dwarven society. 
Now, if you don't mind, I'd like to get to the pub afore I miss Last Orders!"

#3 Thunderförge

Thunderförge

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 22 January 2023 - 12:26 AM

The game Dwarf Fortress uses types of stone for the months of the year (ie 5th of Granite), so presumably you could use metals for hours? Gold for midday, silver for midnight, etc.

I think a lot of names for times would be very trade specific, things that happen at a certain time in that trade (for example when the fires are banked for the evening, or when the bread goes in the ovens) but would only be used within that trade. 

#4 Saranor

Saranor

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 68 posts

Posted 23 January 2023 - 07:39 AM

The game Dwarf Fortress uses types of stone for the months of the year (ie 5th of Granite), so presumably you could use metals for hours? Gold for midday, silver for midnight, etc.
I think a lot of names for times would be very trade specific, things that happen at a certain time in that trade (for example when the fires are banked for the evening, or when the bread goes in the ovens) but would only be used within that trade.

I would support this. It just feels right in the game and I took this over for my own dwarves tales.

#5 Skull Krusher

Skull Krusher

Skazastoki

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,069 posts

Posted 24 January 2023 - 05:46 AM

I would support this. It just feels right in the game and I took this over for my own dwarves tales.

Agreed.... doing the same...

#6 Skull Krusher

Skull Krusher

Skazastoki

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,069 posts

Posted 25 January 2023 - 05:40 AM

I think I  will go with this.  What do you guys think?

Type Metal        Melting Pt                            Hour of the day

Gromril       3000                     21:00-23:00                                                         

Iron             2786   Klad           19:00-21:00

Nickel          2646                     17:00-19:00

Steel            2550   Grimazul   15:00-17:00

Copper        1981   Izor            13:00-15:00

Gold            1946  Gal             11:00-13:00

Silver          1762  Azril           09:00-11:00

Brass          1652                     07:00-09:00

Bronze        1562                     05:00-07:00

Lead            621                       03:00-05:00

Tin              450    Zint             01:00-03:00

Pewter         338                       23:00-01:00

#7 Thunderförge

Thunderförge

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 25 January 2023 - 10:44 AM

Looks good to me, I like the order by melting point, very technical!
Should we start a Dwarf Fortress thread on the Brewery? I have tried some Warhammer modding which may be of interest.

#8 Saranor

Saranor

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 68 posts

Posted 25 January 2023 - 02:04 PM

Should we start a Dwarf Fortress thread on the Brewery? I have tried some Warhammer modding which may be of interest.

That would be totally dwarven!

I support this!
Btw. I may have to extend my current fortress, as 3by3 quarters seems to be very small…
And maybe a second entrance for bigger caravans :)

#9 Rinn Zylra

Rinn Zylra

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 26 January 2023 - 02:51 AM

Sounds fine with us, not sure what Dwarven Fortress is?  Is there a link?

Caravans.... S.K. is writing a story about caravans

#10 Thunderförge

Thunderförge

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 26 January 2023 - 05:20 PM

It’s a world building game, you start with seven dwarfs with various skills and supplies. You can build, hunt, mine, but there are many forces working against you (including goblins, carp, thirst, magma, bureaucracy, rain…)
The user interface is notoriously awkward, but the recent Steam release has helped this.

Every year a certain amount of migrants are attracted to your settlement to increase the population (and demands on resources), also trader caravans may visit to buy and sell goods, although these may be elves!

This is an excellent video by Kruggsmash who posts beautifully illustrated walkthroughs of his games.

Edited by Thunderförge, 26 January 2023 - 05:50 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users