437 replies to this topic

#1 Glyfi Ironbeard

Glyfi Ironbeard

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,327 posts

Posted 17 June 2021 - 05:54 PM

Dawn broke over the horizon as the Berebeli pulled up at Castle Grauenburg.  The survivors sat huddled upon the deck in various degrees of shock.

They were the lucky ones that had been rescued after the fall of Bögenhafen.  It was widely believed that most of the roughly ten thousand citizens had been consumed by the opening of the chaos gate.

Josef Quartjin, the captain of the Berebeli, and his small crew had seen the gate open and managed to get the ship away from the dock and out of the town quickly.  Four other boats had managed to escape from the wharf but one had sunk in the middle of the night and a second had run aground a few miles up the river.

During the escape, in a moment of self-sacrificing pity, the captain had turned aside to rescue a few of the survivors who had fled the town along the river banks.  It was here that Theo, Bjovril, Igor, Henie, Ottmar, and Alfred had been reunited as the Slyvanian was rescued after fleeing the fall of the Temple of Morr.

They also managed to pick up about a dozen other survivors before they fled further down the river as the remnants of the city guard were effecting a fighting withdrawal across what had once been the Bögenhafen festival grounds.

Having watched the destruction of the town, Bjovril, Igor, Henie, and Ottmar had each faced their own doubts, fears, shocks, and anguish.  Theo and Alfred, though shaken, had managed to maintain a calm demeanor.  The events of that night would leave a mental scar for each of them.

Now as they pulled up alongside the castle they saw that word of Bögenhafen had already reached the ear of Graf Wilhelm von Saponatheim.  The castle was in disarray as two regiments of infantry were hastily trying to assemble into a marching column.

The group could hear the shouting of officers as they moved about the lines trying to get the men into formation.  It was obvious that the news had only just arrived and that this force wasn't prepared at all to begin the march to Bögenhafen.

A careful check of their mismatched equipment stamped with the coat of arms of von Saponatheim also spoke about how they were also unprepared to face off against the deamons they would find there.

Captain Josef gave a command and the poles were set to hold the boat in place.

"We be setting off survivors 'ere," he proclaimed as he pointed to a small jetty that stood out from the bank.

It already had two of the other boats at it and a number of survivors were walking ashore in a daze from the ordeal.  They were met by additional soldiers and a few bureaucratic types that were trying to figure out how or if they even wanted to house refuges.

The Berebeli pulled up alongside of one of these boats and a gangplank was extended to allow the passenger to go ashore.  There was no place to tie up so the group had to hold the boat in place with the poles as best as they could.

"We be best to shove on," said the captain as most of the passengers went ashore.  "We be heading to Weissbruck.  We should be putting more distance between us and..."

His voice trailed off as he looked up river and he gave a slight shudder.  The town was a number of miles away and completely hidden by low hills and forest yet they all knew what terrors lurked there.

Turning back, Captain Quartjin said, "Will ye be willing to keep crewing m' boat?"

He then looked around and saw that there were four others who had not gone ashore yet.  Two of them proclaimed quickly that they would work the boat for nothing just so long that they got further away from Bögenhafen.  One had the look of a boatman and the other looked like he had only been in Bögenhafen for the festival.

The captain grunted his acceptance of the offer.  He then turned to the other two strangers to await their replies and to find out if Alfred, Igor, Ottmar, Bjovril, Henie, and Theo would remain aboard as his crew for a while longer.

#2 Hero of Rome

Hero of Rome

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,819 posts

Posted 17 June 2021 - 08:06 PM

Alfred had initially considered enlisting with the local militia to try and clear the ruined town of the filth that now inhabited it. He felt some sense of guilt about the whole thing. He had been in the city after all and so felt a sense of obligation to sought out the mess that he had a hunch might have been averted if he had dedicated himself to the cause of the gods more fervently. Nonetheless, after taking one look at the motley crew of men which made up the supposed "relief force" he was quick to conclude that it was not the most prudent of decisions.

"No silver weapons or protective talismans. All that awaits that lot is madness, mutation and death in the grip of chaos and desecration." Alfred thought to himself. Risking the purity of his body and soul on some foolhardy errand was, at present, not something he desired. He turned to Josef and gestured to the man with a wave of his hand.

"Of course, captain." He said.

A time would come to return to the ruins of Bogenhafen and cleanse it of the corruption and misery that had engulfed it but now was not that time. And it wasn't like Alfred could think of anything better to do than remain in the company of the captain. 

Edited by Hero of Rome, 22 June 2021 - 09:47 AM.

#3 Skull Krusher

Skull Krusher

Skazastoki

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,019 posts

Posted 18 June 2021 - 03:29 AM

Theo had watched as the wharf became fully engulfed in flames; the Berebeli with her mooring lines cut and as the crew hurriedly polled away down river, they were heartened that they managed to escape the death of Bogenhafen.  He remembered looking back towards the town and watched as pink and purple flames danced from roof top to roof top spreading throughout the city as Moorslieb leered as panic spread amongst the citizens of the city as the chaos moon consumed their souls.  Those few nearest the city gates pushed their way through in a bid to escape the infernal and the growing chaos vortex.  It was a lucky few that sought the safety of the river and upon being seen;  Captain Josef ordered the river boat to pulled up along the shore in a desperate bid to rescue those lucky evacuees.  Theo wondered if Elvyra Kleinestun and her neighbors managed to escape, he hoped so since the fair was situated outside the walls of the city.  Shrugging, perhaps he would see her in Weissbruck; Theo grabbed his medical bag in case any of the refugees needed his care.  Looking towards the Captain, “Aye I shall stay aboard.”

#4 LordMort

LordMort

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 51 posts

Posted 18 June 2021 - 01:27 PM

One of the newcomers, a young man wearing the clothes of a priest but carrying a huge warhammer, seemed to be torn. Lothar had been in Bogenhafen for the festival, but he had also been there to visit with a close friend. Joachim was a soldier he had served with on several deployments, and the two had developed a close bond. Both were devoted Sigmarites, and Joachim had protected Lothar on several occasions. Being a warrior priest was his calling and he knew the risks of being a leader in battle, but it had been nice to know his friend always had his back.
But now his friend and his whole family had perished, taken by those horrifying creatures. Their corpses were probably ashes already, and for the first time in years, Lothar was on his own. He wanted badly to go back to Bogenhafen and seek revenge, but he knew that even Sigmar’s powers would not be enough to win that battle. So he resigned, deciding this fight had to wait. “I will stay on as well, Captain. Hopefully you’ll find some use for a man of faith.”

#5 Glyfi Ironbeard

Glyfi Ironbeard

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,327 posts

Posted 18 June 2021 - 07:06 PM

Captain Quartjin nodded at Alfred and Theo as they indicated their desire to stay on.  He then turned as one of the refuges spoke to him.

"As long as ye can shove a pole and get us to Weissbruck your welcome to stay aboard," he grunted.  "What be ye name son?"

#6 Hero of Rome

Hero of Rome

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,819 posts

Posted 18 June 2021 - 07:41 PM

Alfred's optimism rose at the sight of the priest. He was sure to be helpful in a fight and, Alfred guessed, would likely end up having some... interesting exchanges with Hennie and Igor that would probably be rather humorous to listen too.

Edited by Hero of Rome, 18 June 2021 - 08:46 PM.

#7 Pennysworthe

Pennysworthe

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 18 June 2021 - 10:58 PM

From among the throngs of bustling, semi-panicked soldiers, a small child weaved his way through the mass of bodies. 

"Wait! Wait!" he shouted, waving furiously at the boatmen.

As he rushed over, the bare, furry feet and ruddy face of the diminutive creature suggested that it was not, in fact, a child, but rather a native of the Moot - a Halfling.

"Where are you going?" He gasped in between heavy breaths. "How much for passage? Or better yet, I can earn my keep! Do you need a cook?"

Edited by Pennysworthe, 18 June 2021 - 10:59 PM.

#8 Skull Krusher

Skull Krusher

Skazastoki

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,019 posts

Posted 19 June 2021 - 02:18 AM

“Captain, do we need another cook? Or perhaps an assistant cook,” Theo asked.

Then turned to the fellow Halfling and speaking in Moot, “Who are you and how did you come to be in Bogenhafen?”

#9 Pennysworthe

Pennysworthe

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 19 June 2021 - 03:14 AM

"Ah, I had not noticed you, my good kin," the Halfling said in Reikspiel. His eyes studied the other in careful detail, lingering on his clothes for perhaps a moment too long.
"Albert Rotapfel at your service," he said with a deep, flamboyant bow. "But please do call me Al. Albert is far too formal for my liking." He flashed a wide, toothy grin. "I am but a humble cook by trade. These Doublings pay well for good food you know. But I do believe, eh, perhaps it is best I be weighing my future prospects ... elsewhere." He shifted uncomfortably for a moment as his eyes returned to the opposite Halfling's garb.

"And what do you do?" He asked. "Are you a cook as well?"

Edited by Pennysworthe, 19 June 2021 - 03:32 AM.

#10 Glyfi Ironbeard

Glyfi Ironbeard

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,327 posts

Posted 19 June 2021 - 03:47 AM

The captain just looked at the two halflings and laughed a big belly laugh.  For that single moment he had completely forgotten about the horrors of the previous night as he watched the two halflings.

"More'n the merrier!" he finally proclaimed as he wiped away a tear of joy.

#11 Skull Krusher

Skull Krusher

Skazastoki

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,019 posts

Posted 19 June 2021 - 06:18 AM

Theo smiles at the laughter, turns to Al and says   "With your permission Captain, First thing we gotta do is refill the empty barrels on deck with water.  We had to quench the deck to prevent fires and in our haste to  leave Bogenhafen we have not refilled them.  Please give me hand Al." as Theo heads toward the bucket that had a rope attached to it.  He would use it to haul the water up to refill the barrels.

Edited by Skull Krusher, 19 June 2021 - 06:20 AM.

#12 Hero of Rome

Hero of Rome

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,819 posts

Posted 19 June 2021 - 08:58 AM

Another l'il bugger. Alfred thought to himself when he saw the halfling. He'll get all enamoured with the elf, just like Theo, Alfred concluded.

Edited by Hero of Rome, 19 June 2021 - 09:08 AM.

#13 Skull Krusher

Skull Krusher

Skazastoki

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,019 posts

Posted 19 June 2021 - 03:11 PM

Theo had looked toward Alfred at the Captain’s agreement and so a slight grimaced.  But Theo (OCC perception) also noticed Al’s subtle lingering gaze.  Perhaps Al was embarrassed about his own attire, or wondered if Al thought I was putting on airs.  Theo also hoped that it was not the gaze of a light-fingered cut-purse looking for an easy mark.  He recognized the gaze from one of his cousins. Shrugging at that thought Theo began lowering the bucket over-the-side and began refilling the first of four water barrels.

“Captain Quartjin” Theo called out; “What be the head count for the evening meal,” glad that the captain had fresh provisions brought on board the day-before the Bogenhafen disaster.

#14 Pennysworthe

Pennysworthe

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 19 June 2021 - 07:15 PM

"Barrels, water, easy enough, I'll check the storeroom for the evening meal, shall I?" He pauses a beat. "I'm sorry did you say fire?"

#15 Hero of Rome

Hero of Rome

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,819 posts

Posted 19 June 2021 - 08:26 PM

Alfred raised his eyebrows at the mention of the word fire. He had not escaped a city now consumed by fire into a boat which was, by the mere mention of the same word, liable to be set alight.

"What happened? Some of the moon's ichor strike the boat?" Alfred asked Theo.

#16 LordMort

LordMort

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 51 posts

Posted 19 June 2021 - 08:42 PM

Lothar was very skeptical of traveling with not only one, but two halflings. They were pretty harmless creatures, but he wasn’t sure if they could be trusted in battle. And from what he had heard, they were hard to trust out of battle too. He didn’t have a lot, but he wasn’t intent on sharing any of it involuntarily…

#17 Skull Krusher

Skull Krusher

Skazastoki

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,019 posts

Posted 20 June 2021 - 01:33 AM

Alfred raised his eyebrows at the mention of the word fire. He had not escaped a city now consumed by fire into a boat which was, by the mere mention of the same word, liable to be set alight.

"What happened? Some of the moon's ichor strike the boat?" Alfred asked Theo.

"Only one Alfred, and while Igor attacked it I upended two barrels of water onto the deck.  It screamed and died," Theo replied.  "Perhaps the good warrior/priest or yourself can bless the Berebeli."

Edited by Skull Krusher, 20 June 2021 - 01:35 AM.

#18 Davidolo

Davidolo

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 20 June 2021 - 07:28 AM

Igor looked back in the direction of the city, destroyed by chaos. Did he feel guilty about not doing more to help them? „No, boy, your survival is much more important“ he thought and pushed the thought of guilt away.
„Could somebody tend to my
Wounds? I am badly injured.“ he asked around. „Captain, I will stay on board but I will need some time to recover.“

He saw the two newcomers, the halfling and the priest. „Greetings to the two of you! I am Igor the strong, known for my battle prowess and skills with the ladies. Nice to meet you. Maybe we play a round of dice later on!“

#19 Hero of Rome

Hero of Rome

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,819 posts

Posted 20 June 2021 - 09:31 AM

Alfred remembered the daemons - those pink tentacled...things maraude through the streets of Bogenhafen slaughtering soldiers and plebeians alike. It wasn't a pleasant thing to think about in the slightest and still sent shivers down his spine.

"Now I see why you need to re-fill the barrels." Alfred said. He marvelled about the wonders of water, blessed by the gods the substance truly was. For it sustained the body and soul while proving a great and terrible weapon against all beings that would desecrate the children of the gods. "I'm no priest but can offer Morr a prayer for our good health. As for the barrels, if you need any help re-filling them or anything to do with the boat let me know."

Edited by Hero of Rome, 22 June 2021 - 09:53 AM.

#20 LordMort

LordMort

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 51 posts

Posted 20 June 2021 - 11:58 AM

“I’ll be happy to take a look at your wounds. You don’t look or sound like you’re from around here. What’s your name and where are you from?”

Lothar was used to meeting people from all over the Empire, but he had never heard the Kislev accent before.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users