4 replies to this topic

#1 Grangit

Grangit

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 February 2021 - 12:25 AM

Hello fellow Dawi ๐Ÿ‘‹

I'm currently working on a dwarven outpost belonging to the hold of Zhufbar. 

This project is my first larger terrain piece. Iโ€™m using it to test and practice many things like mountains, rivers, trees, snow, etc. I'm aiming for a โ€œrealisticโ€ look - but that requires a lot of practice, knowledge, and materials.

I already learned a lot by making many mistakes ๐Ÿ˜„. I should be able to avoid them for future projects and make everything look better ๐Ÿคž. Speaking of future projects - I plan to create a larger terrain piece that includes the main gate of Zhufbar, large walls, big statues, and the famous waterfall. There is so much more like retractable towers, water wheels, lighting, etc., but I am getting ahead of myself.

Why Zhufbar? I love the fluff behind it, especially that the principle shrine of the Dwarf Engineer's Guild is located there. My army will/is also Zhufbar themed, and I am making heavy use of my 3D printer to fill the ranks ๐Ÿ˜„.

This is how I started:

zhufbar_0.jpg

zhufbar_1.jpg

zhufbar_2.jpg

Some paints slapped on and some epoxy resin for the river. I was scared that the resin will attack the foam but it worked out well.

zhufbar_4.jpg

zhufbar_7.jpg

The rocks turned out fine, although darker than I wanted. They're not done though, I will later add some snow and maybe trees.

zhufbar_3.jpg

I also started to experiment with some plants and ground texture.

zhufbar_5.jpg

Here's a close-up of the entrance. I don't like the wall texture yet, it's too dark, simple, and similar to the rocks. I also made the mistake of gluing all the buildings to the plate before painting it.

zhufbar_6.jpg

In general, I do like how certain areas look, but I also know what I would do differently and I made quite some mistakes. Anyways, I'm happy so far and can't wait to finish so I can start my big Zhufbar project ๐Ÿคช.

Cheers!

#2 dazza36

dazza36

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 23 February 2021 - 04:18 PM

STUNNING

As W.I.P goes this is just awe inspiring .

If you don't mind I will add some suggestions (which you may already be planning).

1. Add verdigris to the statues to give a nice contrast and age them.

2. I like the stone work but again could do with being aged, some selected green washes on areas and adding grass turts/moss like on statues would look really good.

3. The gold rivets on helmet although nice I personally think turning them into jewels would look really good and maybe remove one to give a little story (what happened was it stolen/lost ???).

4. Probably to late for this one but cheap brush hairs can make great water reeds which would have helped break up the flatness of the water.

5. Bird poo on a statue or the dwarf head !

I think on such big projects its the little details that can really make it pop.

I will definitely be looking forward to seeing more. Keep up the great work

#3 Skull Krusher

Skull Krusher

Skazastoki

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,785 posts

Posted 26 February 2021 - 01:25 AM

You have earned a keg on my tab.... stunning, awe inspiring, brilliant to say the least for a first time effort.

#4 Grangit

Grangit

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:59 PM

Thank you guys! ๐Ÿ™

@dazza36 I couldn't agree more, the little details and stories are really important in big terrain pieces.

1. Great idea, I've done something similar. The statues are bronze and turquoise in some spots as old bronze statues tend to get. It's not strong enough so I will make it stronger.

2. Yeah, it's too late for washes but I added some more moss and will definitely improve on the stonework in the future ๐Ÿ’ช.

3. Awesome idea! I don't know what to use as jewels since it's very small. I'll probably 3D print some or do it on the next project in a larger scale. However, I also love having small stories on the terrain so there will be something else ๐Ÿ™‚.

4. Too late for that, yes. The water is not done though. I'll add some ripples and white water to break the flat surface.

5. That's a grudge! ๐Ÿ˜ฑ

#5 dazza36

dazza36

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts

Posted Today, 09:13 AM

Here are a few of the things I've worked on over the years.

A gyro base with poo on statue

dwarf185.jpg

The remains of a long dead dwarf 

base17-zpsa91d2f2b.jpg

Another dead dwarf this time with added cobwebs

dwarf265-zps687396bb.jpg

A base for a dwarf lord trying to create a mosaic effect

dwarf1015-zpsfce7f2b1.jpg

And lastly a little cannon base ! Not only does it show how I've tried to weather the base with washes of greens and browns but you can also see how I've tried to draw the eye in with the small details.

base19-zps6e4c032d.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users