10 replies to this topic

#1 Lord Alisk

Lord Alisk

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,451 posts

Posted 31 December 2020 - 08:14 PM

Hello everybody. Firstly, I want to wish everyone here a very happy start to 2021. I know the Brewery is very quiet compared to what it was in past years, but I still very much enjoy coming here to read & post, and I certainly am very pleased that the Brewery is still carrying on. Many thanks to everyone who is involved!

On this last day of 2020, which has been a most unusual year in so many ways, I thought it might be interesting to think about what we've done hobby-wise this year we're proud or pleased about, and what we want to do going forward.

For me, the hobby achievements I'm most pleased of for 2020 are:

- Painting considerably more dwarfs than I bought (and painting them all to a standard I'm happy with), meaning my dwarf bare lead/plastic pile is somewhat smaller than it used to be (the same cannot be said for my other collections, which will Segway nicely into something on the 2021 list)

- Making a start on a set of modular gaming boards & making some individual pieces of terrain which I'm pretty pleased with

- Not buying anything miniatures related where I afterwards felt guilty about how much I'd spent

For 2021 I would hope to:

- Finish my first four modular gaming boards to a high standard (giving a 120 by 240 cm gaming area)

- Finish at  least 3 Table Top world buildings in my collection to a high standard  (this has been a growing embarrassment, to be honest, I've a lovely collection of these buildings but the only one I've actually finished painting is the tiny village well model)

- Paint more than I buy for all my various armies (not just my dwarfs)

- Get painted up at least one of my non-dwarf armies (this will almost certainly be my Orcs  & Goblins army) to the stage where I can run decent sized battles with my own figures on both sides 

This may mean that my dwarfs get a bit less love this coming year, but I do have some plans for them (building up their artillery train & air force, in the main, but also some scenery projects if I get chance).

Anyway, I for one would be very eager to hear what other people here have achieved this year on the hobby  front, and what their main plans are for 2021.

Thanks again to everyone, and wishing you all a happy start to 2021,

All best,

LA

#2 Kallstrom

Kallstrom

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,701 posts

Posted 02 January 2021 - 11:27 AM

That sounds like some great goals for 2021!

This year has been strange for all of us, but it has been the best hobby year for me, at least. I have painted more miniatures than ever before, and I have several projects which I want to explore and develop even more. 

At the moment the projects worth mentioning (the ones I either plan to, or at least want to, get started with or continue with) are these, in no particular order:

- Painting more dwarfs! I have an endless stream of dwarf miniatures to paint so any that I flick some color on would be a plus to me.
- Painting up my Beastmen army. I have almost all the models I could ever need for this army, so it is all about sitting down and actually paint the miniatures.
- Painting up my new-started Empire project. I have started a new Empire army (I already have one but I am going with a completely different theme on this one) and I plan to base them like I base my dwarfs so they can be used as allies or whatnot.
- Paint terrain. Both small scatter terrain pieces and bigger pieces like houses and such. Painting miniatures for my armies will probably go before painting terrain, but when 2021 is over I hope that I have painted miniatures from all of these 4 categories.

I should probably keep track on how much I paint this year. It could be fun to see how productive I have been once the year is over.

May this be the best hobby year for all of us! 

#3 Thorgrimmir

Thorgrimmir

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 03 January 2021 - 10:43 AM

Well, 2020 was a rough ride, but hopefully it will get better in 2021. As for current proyects; I have been painting a 1500 points Dogs of War army to use in 6th-7th ed. Always liked the DoW range, and it's a shame I didn't get my hands on many of the models while GW still sold them... But enough lamenting! The DoW army I've been painting consists of:
-Mercenary captain (using the Mordheim freelance knight). Painted
-Paymaster (using Mydas the Mean). Painted
-Hireling sorcerer (using Nicodemus from Mordheim). Painted
-20 pikemen (using Pirazzo's Lost Legion). Painted
-12 Crossbowmen (using Marksmen of Miragliano). Painted
-8 Duellists (using Vesperos Vendetta). Painted
-5 Heavy cavalry (using Volands Venators). Painted
-5 Ligh cavalry (using ungol horse archers). Painted
-16 Long Drongs Slayee Pirates. Painted
-20 Paymasters bodyguard (using 4th ed empire halberdiers). Unpainted
-Halfling hot pot. Painted

So far so good, but as we all know the pile of unpainted stuff only grows! What I'd like to (and probably will) paint im 2021 is the following;
-20 Paymasters bodyguard. I have thought more or less what colour scheme and banner to give them
-A truthsayer with his pet fenbeast
-5 Golgfag's Maneaters (the old metal ones) for when I want extra muscle in my DoW or dwarves
-Lucrezzia Belladonna, to use her as either herself or a mounted hireling sorceress
-The mounted version of the Mordheim freelance knight on a pegasus
-A 5th ed gyrocopter. Must find a decent flying stand
-A 6th ed organ gun
-5 6th ed longbeards (2 troopers + command)

I do have some other unpainted stuff, but I'd rather keep the list short and managable.

Here's to a good year!

#4 Lord Alisk

Lord Alisk

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,451 posts

Posted 18 January 2021 - 10:43 PM

Hello again  - very good to  hear from  you both.

Kallstrom, that seems to overlap a fair bit with what I'm doing. I too  am an Empire dabbler, again with a vague plan to make an  allied contingent. Which province are you going for?

And I can heartily recommend keeping a painting diary. I've been doing that for the last 18 days now, and it is quite satisfying to record things as they  come off the painting table - I'm doing more than I thought, actually, and it's nice to see the little tally of painted figures increase (my wife is very indulgent of me having a permanent painting table, but miniatures do  need to be tidied away - so you don't 'see' progress over time, making the book more valuable). 

And I do understand, Kallstrom, why miniatures push terrain down the pecking order a bit - though there's more time to paint, one cannot game. But I'm hoping that when all this is over I'll be able to host good looking battles, so hopefully  that'll inspire me to get the table finished.

Thorgrimmnir - that's a great project. I do love the old DoW stuff, and have a fair bit of it myself. I did love the varied nature of a DoW army back in the day, and I found it so odd GW edited them out well before the end of the Old World. Any progress on the DoW front since you last posted?

For me, there's been a fair bit of progress on the Orcs and Goblins front, starting off painting some squigs and squig herders, and starting to chip away at a unit of boar boys (both  are still below 8th ed legal minimum sizes, but there's still some progress).

Also, I have to say that given  that there's so much to be depressed about in the world, a good bit of escapism does do wonders for morale. 

Any, really good  to hear about your hobby plans for 2021 - it does help inspire one to keep to targets/projects - so thanks for posting up what you're engaged with at present.

All best for 2021, and all things hobby-related.

LA

Edited by Lord Alisk, 18 January 2021 - 10:44 PM.

#5 Thorgrimmir

Thorgrimmir

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 19 January 2021 - 08:40 AM

Well, I haven't begun painting the paymasters bodyguard yet, but the rest of the army is painted. Currently im painting a truthsayer as a break from painting rank and file of the 20 man (dwarf?) unit of Long Drongs Slayer Pirates.

Next would be the fenbeast to accompany the druid into battle and then (hopefully) i'll start with the first 5 troopers of the paymasters bodyguard

#6 Kallstrom

Kallstrom

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,701 posts

Posted 19 January 2021 - 12:19 PM

Kallstrom, that seems to overlap a fair bit with what I'm doing. I too  am an Empire dabbler, again with a vague plan to make an  allied contingent. Which province are you going for?

And I can heartily recommend keeping a painting diary. 

[...]

And I do understand, Kallstrom, why miniatures push terrain down the pecking order a bit - though there's more time to paint, one cannot game. But I'm hoping that when all this is over I'll be able to host good looking battles, so hopefully  that'll inspire me to get the table finished.

[...]

For me, there's been a fair bit of progress on the Orcs and Goblins front, starting off painting some squigs and squig herders, and starting to chip away at a unit of boar boys (both  are still below 8th ed legal minimum sizes, but there's still some progress).

I am making a mercenary army of sorts, with soldiers from all the different provinces represented. The main reason for that is that with the Empire army I want to force myself to paint with more colors, so getting to paint all the different and vivid color schemes of the Empire really fits that plan well. My Empire project will be something I tackle in between when I am getting a bit too tired of painting with browns for Beastmen or greys for my Dwarfs. 
What province are you going with for your Empire army?

I will tally up all the miniatures I paint for 2021 and so far, if the coming months are almost as productive as january has been for me thus far, this will be a great hobby year! 

Maybe we could have terrain painting competitions here on Bugmans side by side with the single miniature and unit competitions?

Greenskins are always a treat! Are you basing them in the same way that you are basing your Dwarfs, as a nemesis force of sorts?

#7 Lord Alisk

Lord Alisk

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,451 posts

Posted 19 January 2021 - 01:40 PM

Hello again.

- Thorgrimmnir - sounds really great. I'm  disappointed I never got chance to paint up a fenbeast when they were (relatively) easy to track down. I look forward to seeing it painted up.

- Kallstrom - I've gone Reikland with my Empire army 

e.g. 

gallery_13812_1171_3677584.jpg

gallery_13812_1171_2127988.jpg

Basically, my dwarf hold (Karak Zhufdrin) is up in the Grey Mountains (basically where Karak Azgaraz is - this Karak has become fully canonical after I started my throng, so my dwarfs are sort-of Karak Azgaraz in an  accidental sort of way), so painting my Empire forces as from Reikland made sense. And it does give a significant contrast with my dwarfs, which is all to the good. 

Indeed, yes, the greenskins are being based up exactly like my dwarfs (well, some of the ones I've had for a while have the older grey/green bases I used to do along with my older dwarfs, rather than the brown/black bases I do now). So  yes, they are intended as enemies.

I'm also dabbling with undead (being near the Mound of Krell, Blood Peak, etc. makes sense), a few skaven and High Elves (oh the shame of it all...).

Re. the scenery contest. Yes, why  not? I'll see if there's any  interest in that now, but I'm certainly keen. I'm not expecting many entries as the Brewery is so quiet these days, but if it helps even one person make some scenery then that's a good outcome in my view.

All best,

LA

#8 Thorgrimmir

Thorgrimmir

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 19 January 2021 - 05:50 PM

To show what's painted of my Dogs of War;

To the left, the Paymaster Uccello "The Greedy" and to the right the mercenary captain El Don Bigote

gallery_15819_1270_1513559.jpg

Nicodemus "The Great", level 2 wizard for now

gallery_15819_1270_1130534.jpg

Aguirre's Devils, lead by Lupo Agirre

gallery_15819_1270_1068052.jpg

The Marksmen of Miragliano

gallery_15819_1270_2846482.jpg

Vespero's Vendetta

gallery_15819_1270_1278934.jpg

Dschingis Khan's Riders

gallery_15819_1270_6418.jpg

Voland's Venators

gallery_15819_1270_681440.jpg

Long Drongs Slayer Pirates

gallery_15819_1270_826911.jpg

Arghi Niano's Halfling Hot Pot

gallery_15819_1270_31228.jpg

The units I have named are small real life references like GW used to do back in the day, since the Dogs of War are a fun army with some fun lore. 

#9 Lord Alisk

Lord Alisk

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,451 posts

Posted 20 January 2021 - 09:22 PM

Thorgrimmnir - that's a really rather impressive collection of OOP metal. The Dogs of War were really cool, and I do love seeing them painted up. Many  thanks for sharing.

#10 Thunderförge

Thunderförge

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted 20 January 2021 - 10:16 PM

Yes those Dogs of War are really special, came out around the time I was getting my teeth into the hobby.

I can’t say I’ve achieved much on the painting front; one war machine, and forty-one half’s of a dwarf. Oh and some goblins.

But I have been learning to sculpt, improving my greenstuff skills and starting out in 3D digital sculpting. It’s a very long and arduous learning curve, but I can chip away at it over many weeks. A belt buckle here, an improved tunic there. I started with some simple hammers and axes, then built up to a Sytone-Thrower. But now I’m nearly ready to do a test print of whole figures.

Yesterday I made a pose-able (rigged) hand, so rather than sculpting a whole new hand for every pose, I can just bend the fingers to how I need them.

This is a few of the dwarfs-in-progress;

gallery_15288_1331_218988.png

I’ve got plans to make a whole army with war machines and everything, so watch this space!

#11 Skull Krusher

Skull Krusher

Skazastoki

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,725 posts

Posted 20 January 2021 - 11:00 PM

My Dwarf army is pretty much done.  No empty spots to fill or neat conversions.  Of course the three triplet daughters are painting their own armies when I am not busy and they have finished their homeschooling homework.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users