592 replies to this topic

#1 Glyfi Ironbeard

Glyfi Ironbeard

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,001 posts

Posted 05 December 2020 - 07:23 PM

It had been a long, cold winter and the spring thaw was a very welcome sight.  The winter of 2511-2512 IC had been harsh.  It was with great relief that the temperatures started to rise and travel was resuming across the Empire.  All around you there was signs of stirring trade within the town of Delberz.

You had found yourself in this town and looking for a reason to leave it.  While it wasn’t the worst town in the Empire it sure wasn’t the best either.  When the courier put the notice on the missive board you read it, or had it read to you, eagerly.

Handout 1

It was a chance to leave this town and seek a bit of gold to further your own ends.  Now you just needed to get to Altdorf to enlist in the Prince’s mercenary force.  Asking around, you discovered that the two river boats at the dock were heading up river to Talabheim and no one knew when a boat for Altdorf would be arriving.  That left you with trying to find a coach to take you to Altdorf.

After a friendly chat, a veiled threat, or to simply to get you to move along, one of the locals told you to head towards the Coach and Horses Inn.  This was the local coaching inn for Delberz and a place where coaches arrived and departed almost daily.

It was located just outside of town, about an hour walk.  Coaches generally arrived in the evening and left out in the morning.  Since it was currently about noon, you decided that you should head that direction and make sure that you got a seat reserved for the next coach leaving.  The truth was, with an offer that good for employment you would need to act quickly or the spots would already be filled.  Thankfully, the ride to Altdorf should only take about a day on a coach…

Igor Kaputnik, a very tall and muscular man, walked along the road.  Igor carried a crossbow slung over his shoulder along with an assortment of chains, nets, and rope strung about his body.  Anyone who had spend any amount of time outside of a backwater town knew that here was a bounty hunter, even without having to see his broken nose set amid ruddy colored, chiseled cheeks.  As he walked he gave a clip order in the foreign tongue of Kislev to his travel companion, a goat he was pulling along behind him. 

The man walking alongside of Igor was in stark contrast to this hunter.  Ottmar Burenwurschtel was a short, older lookin man with balding grey hair and dressed in shabby robes.  He seemed to be supported by a carved walking staff and had a backpack slung over his back.  While he appeared down trodden at first glance, a second look showed power radiating from his bright grey eyes.

The two followed a female, Henie Alynson.  She was apparently some sort of mercenary as she had a longbow and shield slung over her back.  Only a few wisps of her Red-Brown hair showed from beneath the hood that obscured much of her features.  She seemed to be quite beautiful with piercing blue eyes, though a scar marred her delicate looking, tanned left cheek.

Alfred von Aschendorf was just the opposite.  A tall man, he was skinny and looked malnourished.  His bright red hair framed a pale face with large purple eyes that set upon a neck that looked as if it might have once been partially severed.  A deep gash ran across one whole side of the neck, the scar looking ragged.  He was dressed in robes and he pulled up a hood as he walked.  He had a shovel slung over his arm and a lantern and doctor bag hung off his belt.

Theo Hubert Edward “The Cat”, a Halfling, with a tight grip on his doctor bag hurried to catch up with the tall man at the same time observing everything around him without seeming to.  At less than four and a half foot in height, with bright blue eyes and golden-brown curls, he seemed out of place beside the tall Alfred unless the observer was reminded of the puppet show of Mutt and Jeff.   The sight was even more comical when one looked at Theo's red embroidered dark green coat with its light green collar, cuffs, and turn-backs edged in red that he wore, as well as the half dome Troll Skull skullcap he had upon his head.  In fact if one was knowledgeable one of the great lords house-hold they would recognize that Theo’s coat was the same style as worn by a young house page or footman.  The skullcap upon closer inspection of this strange helmet of sorts showed easily recognizable symbols for medicine within the Empire.  Over the top of his coat he wears an even darker green hooded cloak that flaps open as he walks revealing a sling bag that he has over his shoulder beneath the cloak and the hood is down off his head.

"Guten tag Herr Daktor" Theo says as he tries to match the taller human's stride.

A little way away, and whistling as his boots squelched along the road, was Bjovril Cogwasher. This dwarf had unkempt brown hair and beard that framed a large broken nose between two differently colored eyes. The right eye was a light brown and the left was a deep green. His travel-stained cloak was wrapped around himself and he wore a hammer tucked into his broad belt. On his back he wore a heavy pack mostly filled with a large cheese wheel wrapped in scraps of paper.

The last of this bizarre group was Alfred Creywald and he walked alone pushing his wheelbarrow that must have had all his life possessions in it save the dark crimson gambeson and skullcap he wore.  An amulet of Morr was just visible upon his chest as he struggled to push the wheelbarrow over the ruts in the road.  He was an average build, if a bit underfed, human that looked as if he had seen hard times.  His platinum blonde hair did little to hide the ravaged face that was punctuated with the largest nose that any of the others had ever seen.  His patchy beard outlined the pox marks and ragged ears of the man as large warts covered his abnormal nose.  Additionally, he smelled worse than anyone had a right to smell.  He brought up the rear of the group and stoically marched along on his way to find employment just like the others.

#2 BmoveHacker

BmoveHacker

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 05 December 2020 - 08:12 PM

Path: 

"I can not believe this.." uttered a disappointed Henie silently as she strolled down the road, hood raised just enough to show off a few strands of her soft red-brown hair. "By Isha, who let the freak parade out today?" thought she to herself as she eyed the Halfling. Mocking the Hafling for his rather puny and almost comical appearance, she casually places her hands in her pockets, staring in front of her as she does so. 

"At least I'm finally getting out of this stinkhole.". As Henie says that, she strokes her forehead. "Fever went down, good, hopefully Isha is in a good mood today." 

"There better be another Elf, but to be fair, a little bit of solitude wouldn't hurt, or rather, I prefer not to have too much attention drawn to myself." thought she to herself while sneaking a glance at the 2 men following her. 

"By Loec, do these humans really think I don't notice them staring at me? 

Blergh, why do I heed these primitives my attention!" 

Realising that her mental monologue was getting her no where, she decided to remain quiet and instead focus on the long path ahead. A spark of curiosity, dismay and hope welled within her core. 

#3 Hero of Rome

Hero of Rome

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,567 posts

Posted 05 December 2020 - 10:16 PM

"****." Alfred muttered to himself as wheel barrow lodged itself in one of the road's many ruts. This was not the first instance where he had uttered such a profanity. As he pushed the wheelbarrow forwards the thing freed itself and the man resumed his journey along the road his mind once again filled with thoughts of his first year in the Empire as a whole. It had not been a pleasant experience, which Alfred was smart enough to understand full well was a product of his heritage more than anything else; he had been cheated at cards, people had refused to pay him, he was given the worst food wherever he went and not to mention cold beds with torn sheets. 

"First people now the roads." He again thought. It was as if this whole place was arrayed in league against him. "You'd expect them to treat a man forced to flee his home for his very life with at least a little sympathy," his trail of thought continued.

Alfred raised his head to observe the other individuals who happened to be present on the road. He was able to make out at least five other figures [OOC: I assume I can't see Hennie as Igor and Ottmar are in the way.]; the first of which was clearly a bounty hunter of some sort. "Great," Afred thought to himself half expecting himself to be the man's target. "Hopefully he spends his time ******* that goat of his and not eyeing me." 

Afred's thoughts turned towards the short man with a staff. He didn't look very impressive to Alfred. Then again, Alfred realised that the only people he had run into were other peasants and the blood sucking count. Come to think of it, this man could be anyone after all - he'd thought the same about the count and he had turned out to be someone significantly different to what Alfred had first thought.

The other tall man was equipped with a shovel and lantern. At least this one appeared more down to earth the other two. The thought of the count once again filled his head and Alfred, again, realised that the man might be much less down to earth than he looked.

The next figure was a halfling. Alfred had not seen a halfling before, but he had at least heard of their existence. He was dressed in fine clothes, certainly finer clothes than anything Alfred had ever seen before except for....yes, the count. Always the count. 

The final person who Alfred could see was a dwarf. He was, at first glance, surprised. In his homeland it was generally believed that the dwarfs and the goblins were one and the same: they both lived in the mountains and mined. However, Alfred soon felt he really ought to re-assess "conventional wisdom" for this dwarf certainly looked nothing like a goblin. At least as far as he could tell goblins didn't have beards and he had heard of no stories where a goblin ate cheese either. Alfred concluded that out of all the others the dwarf might be the one which he should get to know, at the very least to confirm this new hypothesis that goblins and dwarfs might in fact be two distinct species.

As he mulled over his many thoughts Alfred's mind once again shifted to the notice. A five crown minimum would be more than he would earn from any other job he could think of. That is, of course, if no one tried to cheat him of his pay as they normally did.

Edited by Hero of Rome, 06 December 2020 - 09:28 AM.

#4 Thunderförge

Thunderförge

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted 05 December 2020 - 11:48 PM

As Bjovril walked along he wondered if the other travellers were headed the same way. Having spent his life travelling around the Empire he’d met all sorts, and learned never to judge by appearances.
Still, this job offer seemed worth checking out, if it panned out it would turn a pretty penny, and if not there were always opportunities to be had in Altdorf.
He met the eye of the thin chap with the barrow, and gave him a cheerful grin. Poor fellow looked like he’d been through the wringer.
“Weather’s not bad for the time of year” he said, blowing on his hands to warm them up.

#5 Skull Krusher

Skull Krusher

Skazastoki

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,725 posts

Posted 06 December 2020 - 03:14 AM

Theo mentally thought to himself; "I wonder if the dwarf can read, it stated that dwarves need not apply on the job notice.  Better to have him along as they traveled to Aldorf who know what may happen along the way."  Seeing that the doctor had ignored him he slows down to a more comfortable pace as he observes the others.Spotting some Coriander growing alongside the road.  Theo looked around to see if anyone was looking at him and picked a handful of leaves put them in his bag and followed along.

Edited by Skull Krusher, 08 December 2020 - 11:49 PM.

#6 Davidolo

Davidolo

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 06 December 2020 - 09:02 AM

Igor was humming the kislevian anthem as he walked towards the coach and horses inn. He was a very proud kislevite, thinking them superior to every other nation.

He looked around and noticed a rather fat, but short man with a walking stick walking next to him. He chuckled and wanted to approach the man and make fun of him. But then his focus fell on the figure walking in front of them. This was a woman, and from what you could tell through all the travel clothes, a very fit one. He loved women almost as much as he loved ale and gambling.

He picked up his pet goat Chantalle - women loved his pet goat - and approached the women.

„Ahem, it is a beautiful, Isn’t it, my fair lady“ he said as he caught out with her. He then realized, that this woman was an elf! „Usually I am not so much into elves, but for you I think I can make an exception“ he winked at her and started laughing. He was very good with women, or at least he thought that.

#7 Hero of Rome

Hero of Rome

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,567 posts

Posted 06 December 2020 - 09:28 AM

As Bjovril walked along he wondered if the other travellers were headed the same way. Having spent his life travelling around the Empire he’d met all sorts, and learned never to judge by appearances.
Still, this job offer seemed worth checking out, if it panned out it would turn a pretty penny, and if not there were always opportunities to be had in Altdorf.
He met the eye of the thin chap with the barrow, and gave him a cheerful grin. Poor fellow looked like he’d been through the wringer.
“Weather’s not bad for the time of year” he said, blowing on his hands to warm them up.

"Certainly beats what I'm use too." Alfred replied.

Edited by Hero of Rome, 06 December 2020 - 10:37 AM.

#8 BmoveHacker

BmoveHacker

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 06 December 2020 - 10:36 AM

Igor was humming the kislevian anthem as he walked towards the coach and horses inn. He was a very proud kislevite, thinking them superior to every other nation.

He looked around and noticed a rather fat, but short man with a walking stick walking next to him. He chuckled and wanted to approach the man and make fun of him. But then his focus fell on the figure walking in front of them. This was a woman, and from what you could tell through all the travel clothes, a very fit one. He loved women almost as much as he loved ale and gambling.

He picked up his pet goat Chantalle - women loved his pet goat - and approached the women.

„Ahem, it is a beautiful, Isn’t it, my fair lady“ he said as he caught out with her. He then realized, that this woman was an elf! „Usually I am not so much into elves, but for you I think I can make an exception“ he winked at her and started laughing. He was very good with women, or at least he thought that.

Henie's ears twitched as the Kislevian approached her. "I think that goat isn't the one who'll be eating the grass within the next minute or two." snorted Henie out as she turns to face Igor. He was a rather large man, and it was obvious as day that he was a Kislevite, that irritating accent and nose betrayed it pretty well. 

"Don't bother me, I'm not a wench you can talk to at a bar, got it?". Having said that, Henie kept strolling forward. 

"Those leering eyes, how irritating." thought she to herself as she slightly quickened her pace. 

#9 Davidolo

Davidolo

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 06 December 2020 - 11:43 AM

Henie's ears twitched as the Kislevian approached her. "I think that goat isn't the one who'll be eating the grass within the next minute or two." snorted Henie out as she turns to face Igor. He was a rather large man, and it was obvious as day that he was a Kislevite, that irritating accent and nose betrayed it pretty well.

"Don't bother me, I'm not a wench you can talk to at a bar, got it?". Having said that, Henie kept strolling forward.

"Those leering eyes, how irritating." thought she to herself as she slightly quickened her pace.
„That’s what they always say at first, but they all end up in my bed“ Igor shouted after her with a smug grin as he fell back next to the small, limping man (ooc: Ottmar).

„Oh Boy“ Igor Said to Ottmar „how about a wager? 5 silver coins that the elvish chick will end up in my bed! I‘m Igor by the way and this is your lucky day. I will teach you how to live, my big bald friend!“

Edited by Davidolo, 06 December 2020 - 11:54 AM.

#10 Hero of Rome

Hero of Rome

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,567 posts

Posted 06 December 2020 - 12:24 PM

Alfred heard the tall man shout and shrugged his shoulders. He continued to push his wheelbarrow as he waited for the dwarf to respond.

#11 Thunderförge

Thunderförge

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted 06 December 2020 - 01:02 PM

"Certainly beats what I'm use too." Alfred replied.

“From the north are you?” asked Bjovril, falling into step beside him. “North East p’raps? It’s nice to see a bit of sun after such a bad winter.”

The dwarf didn’t have the distinctive, throaty accent of the mountain dwarfs, or any of the usual runic symbols. He was just dressed poorly, rough wool and patched up cloth, and spoke Reikspiel with an accent that couldn’t be pinned down to any particular province.

The dwarf also noticed the raised voices ahead of them. “Looks like there’s a bit of a throng headed to the Coach House then. Lan’lord won’t know what hit ’im.”

After trudging on for while longer Bjovril decided to introduce himself. “The name’s Bjovril. You need anything sharpened or mended, I’m your man. Well, dwarf, har har!” He extended a grubby hand.

Edited by Thunderförge, 06 December 2020 - 01:07 PM.

#12 Hero of Rome

Hero of Rome

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,567 posts

Posted 06 December 2020 - 01:47 PM

"Not the north actually. Yet the winters where I come from might well last the whole year - cold temperatures and a dark sky every day of the week." Alfred replied to Bjovril. The dwarf looked like a local for sure; indeed Alfred was very confused why even the Fennone elders could be stupid enough to believe such an individual was goblinoid in any capacity. 

"Aye, you're probably right." Alfred replied as he shook Bjorvil's hand. "I'm Alfred, you need anything transported then I guess we could use the wheelbarrow." He replied.

#13 BmoveHacker

BmoveHacker

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 06 December 2020 - 01:59 PM

„That’s what they always say at first, but they all end up in my bed“ Igor shouted after her with a smug grin

"Had it not been for these bystanders I would've struck him right where he stood." said Henie through clenched teeth, the vein on her forehead bulged and throbbed slightly. 

She looks back at Igor and flips him the bird. While she was an Elf, she knew a thing or two about human hand signs, and that happened to be her favourite sign when someone bothered her! 

Returning her face onwards to the front, her ears tingle as she catches the Dwarf speaking, presumably to someone near him. 

"Ugh, stinkin' Dwarf, yer kind is the one who causes a ruckus." thought she to herself as Henie takes a deep breath in. Touching her scar, she frowns slightly. 

#14 Skull Krusher

Skull Krusher

Skazastoki

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,725 posts

Posted 06 December 2020 - 08:06 PM

Theo heard what humans had been saying and slowly without trying to appear to be running slowly passed the them until he was alongside the lady elf.  He had noticed her post-feverish look that all humans, elves, dwarves, and even halflings shared in common.  Not so sure about orc or others of their ilk.

“Excuse me Lady, my apology for intruding.  My name is Theo and  I wish to present you these, and he reached into his bag and pulled out some of the Coriander leaves, “these are for you to help keep the fever abay not so much those who are rude to you behind us.  Just boil the leaves in a cup of water to make tea and perhaps a little honey.  Drink when cool.” With a smile he held the leaves out toward the elf hoping she would take them.

Edited by Skull Krusher, 06 December 2020 - 08:40 PM.

#15 BmoveHacker

BmoveHacker

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 06 December 2020 - 08:57 PM

Henie eyes the Hafling, his eyes almost radiated like an innocent young child. Almost taken aback by his politeness, she answers, albeit in Elfish. After all, she didn't want to lower her guard too much, even when done in good faith. 

"You want me to take these, huh, little one?"

"Very well." 

She threw him a small smile. "Okay, that's really cute." thought she to herself as she took up the leaves and stored it in a small pouch. Touching her forehead once more, it felt just as cold as before. 

"Hm, not even my little sister is that cute." 

Feeling the anger and dissent from before fade away, she places two fingers to her head as a form of salute (OOC: like a soldier's salute.). 

Edited by BmoveHacker, 07 December 2020 - 04:46 PM.

#16 Ben the Barman

Ben the Barman

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 06 December 2020 - 10:13 PM

"nniccce ttoo meet you too" stuttered Ottmar shaking the kislevitens massive hand with both his own sweaty ones." I assume we are a--a-a-lll hhh ere for the job that was put up??" he glanced at the others and looked them over, funny bunch, he thought to himself. He was nervous, he didnt like meeting new people, they always mocked him. As his eyes caught the dwarf he started. " by sigmar, did he not read the notice. It ssssaaaid no nnnoo dwarfs?! we may all get into ttttrouble ffor this! He tried to remain as calm as possible, but the situation was beginning to overwhelm him. He remembered his mental preparations at wizardry college, and also rememered that he had set out on this quest mainly to overcome his fears: confrontation, bullies, coriander, and worst of all.... women....

He gathered all his courage, not daring to look anyone in the eye longer than for a split second, and said in his loudest voice (that came out very high pitched) " i assume we are all here because of the notice!? i am burenmat ottschtl..... ahem sorry sorry, i mean Ottmar Burenwurschtl of course. at your service," he said laughing nervously..

i hope they didnt realize i said my name wrong, he thought to himself, turning away and blushing. perhaps he would keep his mout shut for a while

#17 Davidolo

Davidolo

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 07 December 2020 - 09:12 AM

"Nice to meet you too" Igor said in his strong kislevian accent, looking a bit disgusted because of the sweaty and strange handshake. Did this man just said his name wrong at first? "You are a f****** weirdo" he said in kislevian, laughing out loud. "Yeah I am here for the adventure, my newfound friend."

Igor noticed the halfling who just approached the elf. He seemed to be some sort of doctor, Igor thought. "Hey, my good halfling,can I talk to you for a minute?" Igor shouted. 

#18 Hero of Rome

Hero of Rome

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,567 posts

Posted 07 December 2020 - 09:38 AM

As he and Bjorvil concluded their handshake Aflred heard the two men at the front shout something in quick succession.

"Was told by the notice that no cowards were allowed. Seems like this Un fits just that, unless of course a crook had read it out for me. By all accounts he must be a fool as well."Alfred thought to himself after he heard Ottmar. He then heard the Kislevian shout something to the halfling. "Go **** your goat." Alfred thought to himself. The man had begun to annoy him.

"Yes, you're right Master Bjorvil." Alfred said as he turned to the dwarf. "The landlord will indeed be in for a very interesting night." Alfred otherwise ignored the ruckus that had been fermenting at the front of line and remained in a rear, continuing to wheel his barrow naturally.

Edited by Hero of Rome, 07 December 2020 - 09:50 AM.

#19 Skull Krusher

Skull Krusher

Skazastoki

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,725 posts

Posted 07 December 2020 - 04:53 PM

Why does every human have to shout as if they all belong to the minor families of Averland who shout to all that will listen to them that parts of the Moot; in particular that Aver March belongs to humans.  Not to be rude he answered in the language of his homeland.  “Good sir you need to take a bath!” Theo said in a normal speaking voice and kept pace, walking two steps behind the Lady elf, "and there is no need to shout."

Edited by Skull Krusher, 07 December 2020 - 04:56 PM.

#20 Davidolo

Davidolo

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 07 December 2020 - 05:06 PM

"Well, firstly, the bounty hunter profession doesn't allow much time for body hygiene, secondly the ladies love that odeur, I can tell you. Anyway, that's not what I wanted to talk about, actually. It seems to me that you are some sort of doctor, am I right?" Igor said. "I wanted to ask you whether you can supply something to ease pain. I was, ahem, injured, and ,ahem, I am in very much pain, yes veryyy much pain. So do you have anything funny to smoke? For pain relieve of course." 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users