3 replies to this topic

#1 Hammerfest

Hammerfest

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 September 2020 - 02:20 PM

Hey guys,

After parking my dwarfs at the start of 8th edition, I haven't played any battles since. A friend of mine just finished his army (after years upon years) and went to his first 9th edition tournament.

He convinced me to get dig up my dwarves again and have a go at battling him. If all goes well, and I like the changes to the game, we'd be looking to tour the local(-ish) tournament scene together in 2021. I must warn, after reviewing some lists online, that I think my mindset is somewhere between 7th/8th edition Warhammer and the 9th Age. This might be an issue, I know.

So I've assembled a list and would like your feedback. Not knowing the meta of the game, I could be looking at all the wrong things.

So without further ado, I present:

- King (general) + holdstone + shield + 2x rune of iron, 2x rune of might, rune of destruction and rune of shielding

- Dragon Seeker + monster seeker + rune of fury, rune of quickening, rune of smashing

- Engineer + wyrmslayer rocket + rune of denial

- Thane (BSB) + ancestral memory + shield + rune of dragon's breath, rune of fury, rune of might

- 14x marksmen (handgun) with shields and musician

- 10x clansmen (great weapons) with musician and vanguard rule

- 10x greybeards with full command, shields and throwing axes

- 10x greybeards with full command, shields and throwing axes

- 1x attack copter

- 1x flame cannon with flaming shot upgrade (just to make the attacks magical)

- 1x organ gun, rune crafted

- 3x hold guardians, including champion

- 26x king's guard with full command and banner of discipline + standard of wisdom (BSB and King go here)

This leaves 204 points to spend. An extra hold guardian or attack copter? A runic smith or an extra thane? A second small core unit?

I've noticed seekers seem hot, but I don't have enough slayers. My entire army is very oldhammer (pre-plastic) and I don't really want to pay ebay-prices for extras.

Any advice and tips would be welcome!

Edited by Hammerfest, 30 September 2020 - 02:20 PM.

#2 Thunderförge

Thunderförge

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 754 posts

Posted 30 September 2020 - 04:28 PM

A box of Avatars of War Seekers, they're great models I'd highly recommend.

But fluff-wise my clan won't fight alongside dfilthy oathbreakers, so I'd go for a runesmith or two.

#3 Hammerfest

Hammerfest

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 September 2020 - 05:19 PM

I agree... a couple of slayers (or crazy hermits, whatever) are ok. Swarms of oathbreakers? I’ll pass... which is why I never invested heavily in them.

I’ve noticed most people aren’t hot on great weapons. Does this have a specific reason? I have a lot of miniatures with great weapons. Are they a sub-par choice?

#4 Thunderförge

Thunderförge

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 754 posts

Posted 02 October 2020 - 03:11 PM

I've always thought they were more thematic, but only worth taking if you're up against high toughness or well armoured opponents.

If you're up against swarms of rats/goblins/elves then hitting last isn't worth the extra strength.

But then again, unless you've got the charge you'll probably be hitting last anyway.

Maybe having shields is more dwarfy, better to be well protected I guess!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users