5 replies to this topic

#1 Graydon Ironshield

Graydon Ironshield

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 11 August 2020 - 12:08 AM

It's been a while since I've posted anything here, and I'm hoping I'm not the only one who checks in for new content. Has anyone else been working on projects or playing games during the Nurgle Incursion?

I've been working on a small narrative campaign, involving what started with a small collection of metal dwarfs bought at a local convention a couple years back from a second-hand vendor. The dwarfs were all old Marauder Miniatures Dwarfs, oddball figures whom didn't fit anywhere else in my collection, but I bought them because I liked them and wanted to give them a good home. I spun the concept of a pair of Dwarf brothers, a 'paladin' (an Ironbreaker with a sword and a shield), and a 'fighter' (a Dwarf Warrior with a sword and a shield), tasked with investigating a missing caravan. They collected a small warband, with a Dwarf brandishing two hammers, a pair of Thunderers, and a Dwarf 'sorcerer' (a RPE figure from a recent Kickstarter) to provide needed magical firepower. I painted all of them, created my own shield icons on the computer, with the idea they were theoretically part of my regular Dwarf army, and also an independent force known as the Ironshield Expeditionary Force.

I'm using the older Age of Sigmar Skirmish rules (they work, so...), and the solo rules that appeared on the Warhammer Community a couple months back, modified so the Undead they face have the same tools as the player (me) would have. The first scrap, an encounter on the road to this other delve, took eight rounds to fight out, despite the fact the battle was fought with a handful of miniatures (six Dwarfs vs. fifteen Skeletons, which got recycled repeatedly, and the Necromancer running the horde) on a 3'x3' table, and the fight was see-saw affair until the end. The second scrap was at a small farm and took ten turns (as the game is solo in nature, I felt it fine to wave the rules about games lasting only six turns, and so they take as long as they take).

The narrative nature of the campaign allows me to build up both sides as I wish (the Dwarfs have added a Priestess of Valaya, a peglegged Dwarf Warrior, a Slayer, and a couple of retro-looking Drake gunners, and a mule carrying additional supplies, while the Undead are gaining more Skeletons (I'm an old Ray Harryhausen fan), as well as the nasty Skeleton warrior character and entourage from the Underworlds sets), including additional terrain, such as a small Dwarf brewery. It's kept me engaged in my hobby, which is what I need to keep me sane during this unquiet time.    

#2 Kallstrom

Kallstrom

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 12 August 2020 - 07:07 PM

I check in on the daily, several times per day in fact. These forums are not as buzzing with life as they once were, but it has a special place in my heart. It is nice to have a community dedicated to everything miniature war gaming and dwarf related, so I hope that the Brewery will remain. Who knows, there might be a resurgence of activity once the Old World hits in a couple of years, depending on how relevant dwarfs will be in that new game.

In these trying times I have actually managed to get some painting done. Partaking in this hobby fuels my creativity, and it gives it some focus and energy. 

I have started to paint my dwarf miniatures, which brings me much joy, I have also taken the initiative to create and assemble three different groups of painters to spur the creativity of the people around me - where we together can inspire and motivate each other to paint (more) miniatures!

I have played a couple of skirmish games this year, "Rangers of Shadow Deep", but the goal of painting my dwarf army is to have a playable army for Warhammer Fantasy 8th edition. 

Your narrative campaign sounds interesting and fun, so I hope that it can continue to grow. Some pictures from the battles and the miniatures would be lovely!

#3 Luigi

Luigi

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 12 December 2020 - 09:24 PM

I started, in January, the slow but resolute process of both

1) painting all (or almost all) unpainted miniatures I have
2) strip and repaint all the miniatures (over 400) that I have that were painted in the 15 years I've been in the hobby.

Why? Well first of all, I promised myself not to buy anything new until I truly have dealt with my pile of shame. (but there are sooooo many minaitures I have my eyes on for when this is all said and done)
Additionally, January is when I finally came up with a colour scheme that I both liked AND was actually able to pull off.

So far I have completed 67 miniatures in 2020; mostly in spurs of inspiration that lasted a few days.
Fortuantely, despite the pandemic, I've kept my full time job. Unfortunately I also went back to school (it's like... the third time since graduating uni) and have been juggling full time job and full time school since September. to add to this, I haven't been living at my place since October due to renovation so I had to squeeze a few hour of painting by remaining in the office after hour on weekends.

Despite this being a year full of obstacles, it's been one of the years where I feel the most motivated to paint; not only because I REALLY want to get some more miniatures, but also because for the first time I've come up with lore and background for my own dwarfs.|

It's very satisfying seeing my hold grow and take shape; knowing the history of each unit and how it came to be; perhaps coming up with a reason why a certain character became an engineer or a was chosen as thane.

finally, this forum has been a great source of inspiration and motivation.

As for the future...
Renovations should be in 4 days or so, so hopefully by Wednesday I'll be able to be back at my place painting. For the moment I'm just pulling random models out of my "primed but not painted" pile which I can proudly say it's almost depleted. once that is done I might work on an unit or two at the time, maybe alternating between dwarfs still untouched, and dwarfs that will be stripped and redone.

I hope to get at least 10 more models done before the end of the year, but am aiming at 20. I have a break from school starting this monday so I should be able to find some time to put paint on a model.

#4 Thunderförge

Thunderförge

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted 12 December 2020 - 09:57 PM

Having a background is so much more motivating for me; having twenty random rangers to paint is much less of an incentive than having Orrid Strongbrew and his fourteen misfits who travel the realm because the king finds them too troublesome to have at the hold all the time. The two deathrollers as unit fillers is justified because I wrote fluff about using them as covert reconnaissance vehicles.
Admittedly I haven’t painted much during this year as I’ve been trying to learn 3D design.

#5 Skull Krusher

Skull Krusher

Skazastoki

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,790 posts

Posted 20 December 2020 - 05:00 PM

Staying out of Father Nurgle's sight and breath has been fruitful and plentiful for me and mine.  Time focused on home schooling the four children; and just keeping three 12 year girls and their much younger brother focused on learning has been a challenge...  Scientific day trips to study the geology of sea-side cliffs, or to study the ecology of desert fauna...  Reading Falstaff and Shakespear in old English.  I have a friend (Jesuit priest) teaching them to read and write Latin for the last 4 years. 

For fun we play Warhammer Fantasy and do D&D, the assignment part is that they have to write up an after-action report on the battle, or a history report of the D&D campaign in view of how present day and historical  histories are written. 

Their mother, Rinn  Zylra teaches (when not doing physical therapy) math with attention on accounting.

All in  all, Father Nurgle has not hampered our family, it is stressful in that we can not go see my 92 year old parents and my sisters and their families who live 5 hours away.  We would have to travel through disease ridden Los Angles (if you believe the news reports) just to get there.

Cheers and everyone have a safe and sane holiday and have a keg or two on my tab.

#6 Luigi

Luigi

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 21 December 2020 - 06:49 PM

Having a background is so much more motivating for me; having twenty random rangers to paint is much less of an incentive than having Orrid Strongbrew and his fourteen misfits who travel the realm because the king finds them too troublesome to have at the hold all the time. The two deathrollers as unit fillers is justified because I wrote fluff about using them as covert reconnaissance vehicles.
Admittedly I haven’t painted much during this year as I’ve been trying to learn 3D design.

Absolutely! a personal background tied to an army, unit, or even just single miniatures really does help with motivation.

All in  all, Father Nurgle has not hampered our family

Spoken with the resolute determination of a true dwarf

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users