#1 Gurnissonson

Gurnissonson

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 February 2020 - 12:33 PM

Hi folks,

First time poster, long time lurker.

I haven't played a game of Fantasy in about 10 years, but recently came into an awesome collection of dwarf minis that I'm taking to the field against the dreaded Vampire counts for the first time this weekend.

Super excited, still a bit lost with best loadouts for generals, I've got a pretty chunky collection, so any input on swapping units out or separate loadouts would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Lords:

Lord on shieldbearers,

Great Weapon

Rune of Fortitude x 2

Rune of Stone

Heroes:

Master Engineer

Handgun

Great weapon

Runesmith

Master rune of breaking

Great Weapon

Shield (?)

Thane

BSB

Great Weapon

Core:

Dwarf Warriors x 30 w full command and great weapons

Longbeards x 20 w full command

Thunderers x 10

Thunderers x 10

Special:

Canon

Rune of Forging

Canon

Rune of Forging, Rune of Burning

Hammerers x 20 w full command

Rare:

Organ Gun

Rune of Accuracy, Rune of Burning

Organ Gun

Rune of Accuracy

In total, I have another:

unit of iron breakers x 30

another 25 warriors with great weapons

20 quarrelers

2 grudge throwers

2 bolt throwers

2 gyrocopters

1 gyrobomber

Thorgrim

12 irondrakes

Let me know how I'm shaping up!

Thanks again.

#2 LiveWaaaaagh

LiveWaaaaagh

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 20 February 2020 - 08:15 PM

Hi there! 

Exciting battle ahead it looks like. Do you have any idea of what sort of units he/she likes to field? 

Regardless, Vampire counts have no shooting, which helps our Hammerers for example, and GW Warriors. But do we do need to watch out for a few things, so let me recommend a few edits.

In general, the Lords/Heroes all should get new runes. 

Let's start with the thane:

Thane

BSB

Great Weapon. 

So here, we can choose to put a rune on the banner, or on him. Many here choose the Master Rune of Grugni because of the 5+ ward against shooting and4+ for the wearer. However, Vampire counts have no shooting. So you could instead go with the Master Rune of Valaya for some magical defence (+4 to casting, so it acts as if you had a lvl 4 dispelling). 

If not, you can tank him out with something like3x rune of Warding (4+ Ward), Rune of Stone, Rune of Iron. This makes him very surivable.

Can't do both as it's either the banner or him. 

Runesmith

Master rune of breaking - if you meant the Master Rune of Spellbreaking, then yes. 

Great Weapon

Shield (?)

if you meant the Master Rune of Spellbreaking, then yes. I'd maybe even do 2x Rune of Spellbreaking, Rune of Stone, Shield. That gives him a dispel scroll, a chance to eat the spell for the remainder of the game on a 4+, and a 2+ armor save. 

for the Master Engineer, I would look at giving him a brace of pistols for the stad and shoot and extra attack, rune of stone, and that should be good enough to keep him on the cheap. I assume he'll go with an Organ Gun?

On to Core:

Core:

Dwarf Warriors x 30 w full command and great weapons

Good all round. And since there's no shooting, this is good. 

Longbeards x 20 w full command

- Great! Could give him the rune of stoicism to make them stubborn. But consider upping their numbers a bit. Maybe 25-ish? 

Thunderers x 10

Thunderers x 10

Great!

On to Special: 

Special:

Canon

Rune of Forging

Canon

Rune of Forging, Rune of Burning

Runes are good. But do we need two cannons? Vampires can field a Terrorgheist (or 2), Mortis Engine and not much else that's competitive in terms of large monsters. Maybe 1 might be enough. If not, keep both. All good!

Hammerers x 20 w full command

I like! do you have more? A horde of 30 can be very good. 

What I notice here is lack of Ironbreakers, and Gyrocopters. My recommendatino would be to drop a cannon, and add 1-2 Gyrocopters. Great for things with regen and vs Grave Guard.

Onto Rare and I see the Organ Guns. I can never say no to Organ guns. I love me some organ guns.

What you could do is try to add a 2nd Master Engineer, and part each organ gun with accuracy and an engineer. Nasty stuff, but also could be seen as starting to get a bit... emmm.. "mean". I don't know how well you know your opponent, and whether you like to play competitive games, or not so much. 

Beware a blender lord with Vampires - he/she will have red fury, quickblood, and I cant remember what else. He can dish out a lot of pain. 

#3 Gurnissonson

Gurnissonson

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 February 2020 - 12:22 PM

Thanks so much for the advice!

I'll drop the second cannon, and bring in a gyro, I'll be a bit over on points after taking your rune recommendations, so will see where I can drop (39 points over, damn!)

In terms of his playstyle, I'm anticipating a black coach, a big block of grave guard, and possibly some blood knights, as well as a strong old Vampire.

I suppose I'll run up the flanks with the gyro to do some flame templates along his flank into the big grave guard unit, then snipe off the black coach with my cannon, and tackle the rest of his targets with the organ guns and the thunderers/quarellers.

Any advantage for taking a bigger unit of 20 of one or the other, rather than a block of each?

Thanks again, can't wait to field them.

#4 LiveWaaaaagh

LiveWaaaaagh

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 21 February 2020 - 02:09 PM

I like that change! The gyro is great - gives you mobilitiy, can attack the Grave Guard, but can also bait Frenzied charges and re=direct which is going to be important if he has Vargheists or Blood Knights (I think they're frenzied? don't remember). 

Some people like smaller units, some people prefer hordes. 25-30 Longbeards would make for a SUPER strong block. But I'd also be a bit apprehensive about having only 2 combat blocks. So run the 3 blocks and see how it goes for you! 

Oh, and come back and tell us how it went!

#5 Gurnissonson

Gurnissonson

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 February 2020 - 01:20 PM

So, rangers reporting back in.

Not bad! Managed to fit 2 games in an afternoon, turns out in the first game we hadn't discussed point limits, so I *may* have been playing with 400 more points. Regardless, here's a quick rundown.

Game 1

Set up as best I could (we played longways on the table, no set scenario for our first game back), basic organ guns and cannon behind, with quareller/thunderer support and defensive dwarves up front.

Picked off targets from a distance but didn't manage to snipe off any vampire heroes from afar, my opponents first mistake came where he charged in a black coach, who started to crumble when my hardy dwarf warriors with great weapons didn't buckle and started to win on combat res.

Great work from the hammerers who managed to take out the big unit of skeletons with his vampiric Lord. My lord on shieldbearers managed to hold his own in a challenge, meaning after a good showing from the Hammerers, most of his unit crumbled at the end of the turn.

Longbeards faced down the grave guard who had been whittled down from range, allowing for the dwarf warriors to charge in the flank to start the crumble.

Zombies started to self destruct once general was taken out, his necromancer got taken out by a miscast, meaning we stood victorious!

Game 2 - actually balanced at 2400 points.

Diagonal deployment, so set up in the same defensive position, managed to roll a 1 for deployment on almost all my artillery, meaning turn 1 wasn't very explosive!

Same deal really, bided my time to whittle down his troops and dispelling invoation of nehek, no real worries when he started getting into CC. My hammerers, again did a great job, so did my sturdy lord on shield, Longbears started to crumble but generally not too bad!

In this game, I realised why Gyrocopters are used, with great annoying flame templates down his flank. Ended up getting nuked from spellcasting.

Thoughts:

- Love the dwarf playstyle, defensive, but with some good damage output when it comes to it.

- Hammerers, yes. I need to bump up to 30 I think

- Still can't decide between thunderers and quarellers, may still take both.

- Organ guns outdid themselves (1 may have blown up from a misfire), Cannon did some cool work, but may not be as effective for points as another gyro/grudge thrower combo.

Questions my side:

- Master rune of Vallaya, can I not take this on my BSB?

- How do we fit in more for the points! I wanted to ramp up to at least 3k to have some more interesting units on the field and a bit more of a buffer for magic items.

- When limited on points, what are the MUST TAKES to ensure my lords and heroes stand a good chance, especially against some buffed up vampires? I get a bit lost in all the possibilities for runes, and never seem to have enough points to invest.

Thanks again, loved getitng back into the game, can't wait for my next one!

#6 Gurnissonson

Gurnissonson

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 February 2020 - 01:28 PM

Oh one last question,

How do Line of sight rules work for infantry with crowwbows/handguns, as well as cannons/organ guns, can I fire through a line that includes my own troops?

AoS has confused my rules brain.

#7 Flamefist

Flamefist

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 February 2020 - 01:48 PM

Great that you had some good experiences fielding the Dawi.

As for your questions

Q: Can you take the master rune of vallaya on your BSB?

A: Yes you can. You can even mix in two more runes on the banner as long as they are not master runes. It will fit on your Hammerer units banner as well though, leaving the Master Rune of Grugni for your BSB

Q: Higher points and must takes

A: Have a look at Greyhnir's 8th edition Dwarf handbook http://www.bugmansbr...dwarf-handbook/

It goes through more or less everything and rates it. 

Q: LOS

A: True LOS if I remember correctly, and I'm probably not. Rules cover mechanic works depending on how much of the enemy unit is obscured, I believe.

If I'm wrong on anything, feel free to correct me. Just recently got back to WFB as well, from the occasional Big Battle that we hold once a year.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users