#1 Pellegrim

Pellegrim

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 05:54 PM

Kings,

Look at these two saucy Dwarven lists, both contending in a two-day, 5-battle face-off at Alliance Open coming weekend. One list using a light King and spending the points on extra beefy units, the other taking the power King build on warthrone ... with multiwound weapons. 

Dik-Jan M.

280  - King: General, Great Weapon, Rune of Storms

180  - Thane: BsB, shield

320  - Rune Smith; 3x Battle Runes (Revocation, Reckoning, Oaths), Talismanic Rune of Denial

470  - 25x Clan Warriors: shield, M, C, S, Rune of dismay

447  - 16x Greybeards: shield, M, C, S, Rune of Swiftness

430  - 16x Clan Marksmen: Guild-Crafted Handgun, shield, M

282  - 12x Clan Marksmen; Crossbow,  shield, M

666  - 23x King’s Guard; M, C, S, Rune of Shielding

545  - 20x Seekers; Vanguard, M, C, S

145  - 2x1 Ballista; Rune Crafted

300  - 1x Catapult; Rune Crafted

285  - 1x Cannon; Rune Crafted

Lars "Ungrik" F.

735 - King, Army General, Holdstone, Shield, War Throne, Rune of Destruction, Rune of Dragon's Breath,  2x Rune of Might

330 - Runic Smith, 3x Battle Runes, Shield, Rune of Devouring, Rune of Iron

355 - Thane, Battle Standard Bearer, Holdstone, Pistol (3+), Shield, 2x Rune of Iron, Rune of Lightning, 2x Rune of Shielding

350 - 12x Clan Marksman, M, S, Guild-Crafted Handgun (4+), Shield

302 - 12x Clan Marksman, M, S, Shield

598 - 24x Greybeard, C, M, S, Shield, Runic Standard of Wisdom

451 - 18x Deep Watch, C, M, S

525 - 20x Seeker, M, S, Vanguard

260 - 2x1 Vengeance Seeker

420 - 2x1 Steam Copters, Steam Bomber

170 - Field Artillery, Flame Cannon, Rune Crafted

Which King will end highest in your estimation?

Edited by Pellegrim, 21 May 2019 - 05:55 PM.

#2 Lord Alisk

Lord Alisk

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 07:31 PM

I haven't played enough 9th Age to have an properly informed view, but I'd rather play with the 2nd list. This is partly because it's closer to the way I'd play, in that I like gyrocopters and have never got on that well with artillery.

I'd guess the first list is the stronger however.  I'd say the bigger units are less of a risk, and though dwarfs are a bit nippier in 9the Age than  Warhammer 8th, I'm still a bit dubious about building an army around a slow-paced character. Won't he just get avoided / chaffed into irrelevance? 

#3 Pellegrim

Pellegrim

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 07:38 AM

Ha, I agree on the second list, I'd prefer it too. About the King; A beefy King like that sort of poses an undeniable problem for opponents; it will do awesome it static scenario's like "hold the centre" and defend a piece of terrain (King of the Hill). Plus it has some nice shooting to help out. And two V-Seekers to guard flanks. It also grants two grudges (as the Throne gives you one extra), so combat lists might be a bit weary versus it. I would have added at least two bolt-throwers to the second list, but more likely one catapult and one cannon. But the vanguarding Seekers will also help directing opponents. If he plays it tight I think he'll do well. But real fast opponents will just pick him apart I think. Or avoid combat. I am not sure how the first list will do .... I don't understand the 12-16 bodied blocks. Will report back on monday most likely. 

#4 Pellegrim

Pellegrim

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 25 May 2019 - 09:48 PM

oooofff ... both lists are taking a pounding. But the second list is doing a little better then the first one. two games to go still.

#5 Pellegrim

Pellegrim

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 05:36 PM

List two took 24th place, list one ... the glorious gate close! ;-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users