40 replies to this topic

#21 Thorfar Salokin

Thorfar Salokin

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 11:49 PM

Aah hard luck ... I can't remember the combat res rules in 7th but getting a charge into the rear of any enemy unit is usually a good outcome! So sounds unlucky.

Look forward to the report though!

#22 dienekes

dienekes

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 08:23 PM

Haha, I thought so, but if you don't cause a single casualty, you might be in trouble! Anyhow, the reports will hopefully be on at some point, as two battles were fought that day, notes were jotted and a few hastily (possibly shaky and out of focus) pictures were also taken. A 1000 point and 2000 point battle. This Wednesday a 3000 point battle is on the cards (two we hope) then following up with a 4000 the next day. God bless easter breaks and holiday, and grandparents who can look after the little one for a few days! 

Edited by dienekes, 14 April 2019 - 08:24 PM.

#23 Thorfar Salokin

Thorfar Salokin

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 04:04 PM

By Grimnir! Not a single casualty .... your throng needs more ale.

Make sure you have the odd dwarf in your units clutching a tankard. The dice gods will approve & bless you with more 6s to wound

Good luck with the 3k & 4k battles

#24 dienekes

dienekes

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 09:25 PM

Cheers. I shall try and make sure we havea good supply of Bugman's.

My current 3000 point army that will face the Skaven (possibly a Screaming Bell and Doomwheel combination, first time fighting these - and maybe two assassins and gutter runner teams tomorrow being Wednesday 17th! 

My army consists of:

1x Lord, great weapon, shieldbearers, master rune of Kragg, Rune of Snorri Spangelhelm,, rune of fury (5 attacks hitting and wounding on 2's with a -2 save). On his armour he has a rune of stone. He also has the rune of spite (4+ ward save)... 301 points

1x Runelord with the Master Rune of Adamant, Rune of stone, and rune of resistance on his armour, and having the runes of spellbreaking and spelleater... 293 points

1x Thane BSB,  with Master Rune of Swiftness, Master Rune of Gromril... 140 points

1x Master Engineer with a pistol brace... 80 points

1x Runesmith with shield, and the Rune of Balance... 102 points

1x Thane with hand weapon and shield and the Rune of Fury... 92 points

10x Thunderers with full command and shields...175 points 

20x Quarrellers with standard and veteran and shields... 260 points

25x Warriors with hand weapons and shields and full command... 250 points

20x Warriors with hand weapons and shields and full command... 205 points

20x Ironbreakers with full command... 260 points

22 Hammerers with shields and full command (lords and BSB's unit)... 329 points

2x Organ guns... 240 points

1x Grudge Thrower with runes of immolation and accuracy 135 points

1x Cannon with engineer and the rune of forging... 140 points

I am slightly concerned I have only four infantry units, and was thinking about marching with a 21/22 strong longbeard regiment instead of the Quarrellers as they will only get at most 2 shots off before being engaged, though they do have shields (4+save and still a 5 or 6 to wound in most cases, so they could, if they survive the Skaven onslaught, reform into 4 ranks and fight hand-to-hand if needed). The Longbeards automatically pass panic tests, and he is walking around usually with warpfire teams. My Thunderers will take the hill so all can fire, or maybe place the 20 crossbows on the hill instead (we have a one hill each side policy at the moment), which will also be manned by an organ gun. 

Anyhow... My heroes will hopefully get some good strikes back at the enemy, or maybe I should tone them down to fit in the longbeards and still keep the crossbows? Or should I take a gyrocopter instead of the one of the organ guns? Might be able to march block some units and slow them down.

I may drop the 20x dwarf warriors, replace them with the same amount of Longbeards, and cut out 4-5 of the quarrellers to make that happen so I've got a unit to help against panic tests, that are ws5, st4 instead of st3? So I've checked and I've managed to fit in a 20 longbeard unit in with full command, and removed 5 quarrellers. I feel a bit stronger infantry wise, and still got a sting with 15 quarrellers, plus the two organ guns, grudgethrower cannon and 10 thunderers.

Edited by dienekes, 18 April 2019 - 08:41 AM.

#25 dienekes

dienekes

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 11:07 PM

Heh, I've made another change - instead of the 20 warriors, I have 20 Longbeards with full command and the rune of Grugni (hopefully defend me from s10 doomwheel attacks) and instead of 15 crossbows, I have another full command with shields group of 10 thunderers, and my Thane has lost the Rune of Fury. 

#26 Thorfar Salokin

Thorfar Salokin

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 12:20 PM

Aaah :-) a fully deployed 3000 point dwarf army, banners held high and led by mighty heroes. Brings a tear to the eye of any true son of Grungni.

Know what you mean about not having enough units. Against horde armies they will potentially outnumber us 3-to-1 and seeing the number of units across the table can be beard curling!

Well worth trying out gyrocopters at some point. Takes a bit of practice but are pretty tough so can absorb some damage. Used right the S3 steam cannon can cause havoc in T3 units

You may be in battle right now so good luck!

#27 LiveWaaaaagh

LiveWaaaaagh

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 03:07 PM

I'd certainly love to throw my cents, but I didn't play back in 7th, so I wouldn't the best to provide advice. Best of luck!

#28 dienekes

dienekes

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 10:30 PM

I mentioned s10 doomwheel attacks - it got three s10 hits off at my lord's hammerers unit having rolled great movement rolls to charge into the unit - 13 wounds caused by these attacks on the unit (having spent turn one destroying all but four of one of my Thunderer regiments with the warp bolts - evil things). Thank god I saved 9 Hammerers with the Rune of Grugni. Bless that master rune! Battle three was finished today after fighting for 5 hours. Phew. Didn't manage to fight two battles and we didn't really record much of it, but I shall try and write down the key moments. All will be up when I get some free time, hopefully at least the first battle on Friday! Any idea what I should use to get pictures up here? I can't use google photos. Maybe I should link to a blog for the reports? 

Great fun has been had, and much slaying has been done, but who has come out on top?!!!  Has Gurir's pass fallen to the Skaven leaving the route open into Kark Bolg's upland territories? Or have the ratlings been sent packing? :)

Edited by dienekes, 18 April 2019 - 09:00 AM.

#29 Thorfar Salokin

Thorfar Salokin

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 07:15 AM

A 5 hour battle - that sounds an excellent display of dwarf tenacity! Sometimes we gain victory, or a draw salvaged from the jaws of defeat, simply because the other player falls over exhausted šŸ˜„

Great to see you've some sort of story in place. Giving your characters a reason to do what they do breathes life into a campaign. I don't remember one off battles particularly clearly (apart from a nasty burning head spell incident šŸ˜²) but the campaigns live long in the memory

Look forward to any report to hear how it went

#30 dienekes

dienekes

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 11:42 AM

Yeah, it was a bit, though it did include a 30 minute break for lunch... 

Have been a bit busy, so apologies for no reports yet. Not sure when they will come, so I won't make a promise other than they will come! 

Currently in a fourth game, but it is on pause as we won't be able to play for a few weeks. All I can do is stare and think of tactics... 

#31 Thorfar Salokin

Thorfar Salokin

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 25 April 2019 - 02:41 PM

No need for apologies!

Haha - been there when you're half way through a game, looking and plotting what to do next šŸ˜„

#32 Glyfi Ironbeard

Glyfi Ironbeard

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,584 posts

Posted 02 May 2019 - 12:36 PM

Iā€™m looking forward to the battle report and just want to add my second that campaign narratives are the best and Iā€™m glad you took the time to think up one.

My group played a lot in 6th and 7th and we finally started doing everything in a campaign flow structure where we started off with a skirmish, followed by a war band encounter, and finally a pitched battle (GW released rules for this back in 6th). Was a great way to fit three games in during an evening and we had each battle affect the starting point values of the next battle. Might be something fun for you all to try out if the mood takes you. :)

#33 Tah Kazak Rik

Tah Kazak Rik

Scion of Grimnir

• Brewery Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,161 posts

Posted 02 May 2019 - 09:11 PM

Any idea how to track down a 7th edition Regiments of Renown/Dogs of War book?

Google my beard brother will be your best bet. Dogs never had a formal book after 5th. I realize this has been said in the thread already (like Zidane for example). Just wanted to add my support to that reality. 

However my lad, you can find PDFs and scans through out the interweb. I am going to message you a link to one of the best regiments you can find, and one I think will help against the rats.

Also, excellent name. Have you read Gates of Fire by Pressfield?

It is super refreshing to see younger players making use of not only Warhammer classic...but pre-8th edition! It makes an old Dawi's heart warmed like a pint of Bugman's Original Spiced Ale!

#34 dienekes

dienekes

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 04 May 2019 - 09:39 AM

Cheers, and yes, I have read the book, one of my favorites (read it four times!).

The older editions are more appealing - it was down to 6th or 7th, and we chose 7th. Having fun with it so far.  

#35 Tah Kazak Rik

Tah Kazak Rik

Scion of Grimnir

• Brewery Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,161 posts

Posted 04 May 2019 - 06:45 PM

Cheers, and yes, I have read the book, one of my favorites (read it four times!).

The older editions are more appealing - it was down to 6th or 7th, and we chose 7th. Having fun with it so far.  

7th was my fav. The majority of my games I ever played were in 7th. 

And glad to hear it! It truly is a fantastic book!

#36 dienekes

dienekes

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 16 June 2019 - 04:25 PM

Crikey, just today did we manage to get in to finish game four! Too long. I have a couple of days off, so will try and get something up for the first game or two soon, sorry it has been ages since I last said something, but the dwarfs have fought hard, and well, mostly!

#37 dienekes

dienekes

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 06:36 PM

Any idea what I can use to put up pictures? Mine are on google photos, but I can't seem to use them on this site? Thanks for your time. 

#38 Zidane_blade

Zidane_blade

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,316 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 07:21 PM

Imgur seems to work in one way or another

#39 dienekes

dienekes

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 11:29 AM

Thanks, I will look into that! 

#40 Lord Alisk

Lord Alisk

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 23 June 2019 - 07:11 PM

Any idea what I can use to put up pictures? Mine are on google photos, but I can't seem to use them on this site? Thanks for your time. 

I use the Brewery's own gallery feature for posting my pictures. It's free!

I'm afraid I never actually played 7th edition - I stopped as a teenager fairly early in 6th, and got back into it as an adult 1/2 way through 8th. I have to say, I quite like 8th. It plays very differently to 6th though (and hence 7th - which is fairly similar). I'm afraid the amount of tactical help I can offer is limited on that front.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users