• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 dienekes

dienekes

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 09:42 PM

Hello, I'm pretty new to actually playing a proper game of Warhammer, even though I've dabbled in it a bit through the years - now my interest in it has returned after close to twenty years due to other games (Frostgrave mainly, bringing me back to the gaming table). I dug out my old dwarf army which pretty much hadn't seen a battle, or the light of day, and was just wondering what sort of tips you could give me fighting 6th edition Skaven. At least, I believe it is the 7th edition dwarf army list I have and my opponent has the same (from way back in 2005 I believe).

I am only using what figures I have, so will have to stick with these for now, and am aiming for a 3000 point game. 

I have met the point spot on (or at least I hope so!), and this is what I have:

3 Heroes:

1x Dwarf Lord equipped with a Great Weapon, gromril armour, and shield bearers. .... 306pts

Runes are Master Rune of Alaric

Rune of Striking

Rune of Cleaving   (overkill with a great weapon against Skaven?)

On his armour 

Rune of Resistance

Rune of Stone

Rune of Preservation      

and his talisman: Rune of Furnace (thinking to protect him from those pesky warp throwers!)

1x Thane with hand weapon, gromril armour and the army battle standard.....125 points

Runes are Master Rune of swiftness

Rune of fire

and the Rune of Stone

1x Runesmith equipped with hand weapon, shield, gromril armour.....87 points

Runes are Rune of Striking and Rune of Stone

Core Troops:

Longbeards x 23 including veteran, runic standard, musician (unit is also going to be where dwarf lord will reside with his shield bearers) - Master Rune of Grungni on standard.......391 points

Dwarf Warriors x 50 split into two regiments of 25 each - both with veterans, standards and musicians, armed with hand weapons and shields...... 500 points

Dwarf Warriors x25 armed with great weapons, includes veteran, standard and musician...275 points

Thunderers x16 with veteran, standard and musician...249 points

Thunderers x14 with veteran, standard and musician... 221 points

Slayers x25 (including 1 giantslayer) .... 290 points

Ironbreakers x 22 (unit my runesmith will accompany) with ironbeard, standard and musician .... 316 points

A Grudge Thrower including an Engineer with Rune of Accuracy .... 120 points

An organ gun. 120 points

Hopefully my math has not been terrible or I've misunderstood something somewhere, but this all comes to 3000 points. 

Target enemy, Skaven.

Any suggestions on anything, and what to look out for etc against the ratmen. For the glory of Karak-Bolg, we must prevail. 

Thanks for your time! 

Edited by dienekes, 19 March 2019 - 08:53 AM.

#2 dienekes

dienekes

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 08:53 AM

I've made a few changes and additions - though wondering if my lord really needs the rune of cleaving and striking against Skaven. I might swap them out for a rune of fury for an extra attack, which leaves me 5 points to spend on giving my engineer a brace of pistols or another rune on the grudge thrower - rune of burning...

Edited by dienekes, 19 March 2019 - 02:21 PM.

#3 Thunderförge

Thunderförge

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 11:42 AM

Looks like a nice solid army for 3000pts. I'm not much able to comment on which troops work better in 6th, but prepare to be overwhelmed by numbers!!

The Thunderforge clan send a cartload of ale to bolster your resolve!

#4 dienekes

dienekes

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 02:22 PM

Thanks, we accept the cartload enormously!  I think I shall take out the Rune of Striking and Cleaving from my lord, and replace it with a rune of fury, as I'm hitting and wounding on decent scores already with a greataxe and weaponskill of 7 naturally. Skaven are not the most skilled or toughest, so that extra attack might be worth more. 

Edited by dienekes, 19 March 2019 - 02:25 PM.

#5 Thorfar Salokin

Thorfar Salokin

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 02:47 PM

Great to hear you're taking the Dawi to battle!

In terms of your army since it is what you've got there's not a huge amount you can change. You've a good number of dwarfs to deploy which is good

Skaven are an interesting foe. I think of the Skaven list from that time as 7.5 - in effect developers threw in units in prep for the 8th. So think the hellpit abomination is in there & plenty of war machines. Often unpredictable you can only plan so much for these. A bit of fire to cancel regeneration is handy though

But for me the scariest thing in the Skaven arsenal is magic. To that end I'd go with a rune lord for that edition. Spell eating or master rune of balance along with the bonus dispel dice helps shut down the Skaven spell phase a lot (warp tokens aside)

Obviously that would mean a major overhaul of your heroes & lords so may be one for the future

Post how you get on! And may the ancestors guide you

#6 dienekes

dienekes

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 24 March 2019 - 12:08 AM

Thanks for your thoughts! Can't wait to get a game in, but have to wait until easter week - at least I have plenty of painting to keep me occupied. 

Any idea how to track down a 7th edition Regiments of Renown/Dogs of War book?

#7 Zidane_blade

Zidane_blade

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,321 posts

Posted 24 March 2019 - 06:46 PM

Do you mean, army book?
Because, as far as I recall, dog of war didnt have a 7ed army book.
Their latest dates back to 5th or 6th..

#8 Thorfar Salokin

Thorfar Salokin

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 25 March 2019 - 01:00 AM

Dogs of war is earlier - was it 5th? But the points values aren't to difficult to convert

Ebay your best bet although in the uK there are good independent games shop that have lots of old books. There were a couple of issues of White Dwarf that had some too

#9 dienekes

dienekes

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 07:41 PM

Thanks guys, I will just have to adjust a few things if we use it then. I have been on an ebay spending dwarf craze. The missus ain't happy, but I can now add another organ gun, a cannon, two gyropcopters and ten old metal miners to the army list for more tactical options :) My Dwarf Lord Grimwald Ironbelly of karak Bolg will enjoy their use. 

Edited by dienekes, 27 March 2019 - 07:42 PM.

#10 Thorfar Salokin

Thorfar Salokin

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 07:43 AM

Aaah! The use of gyrocopters against T3 horde armies greatly pleases the ancestors :-)
My regular opponent hates my gyro pilot Cluggie McAlbran. He's been shot down mamy times but always miraculously survives to fly another day despite the desperate shouts of "He's dead he is - dead dead dead"

#11 dienekes

dienekes

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 10:07 AM

Hahaha. Ok, I've somehow managed to spend several hundred and raise a 6500 point dwarf force for a gigantic battle against Skaven with an extra 1500 points worth of counts allies to bolster his Skaven ranks. The battle looks set to be long, probably crazy.

I have this now as a simple run down of units and lords

1x lord and shield bearers,

1x thane with army standard

3x Thanes

1x Runelord

2x Runesmiths

1x Master Engineer

3x Organ guns

1x cannon

1x flame cannon

1x grudge thrower

2x gyrocopters

35x longbeard regiment

42x ironbreaker regiment (with rune of stoicism for double unit strength)

23x hammers (lords unit)

25x great weapon warriors with shields

25x warriors hand+shields

20 x warriors  hand+shields

20x warriors  hand+shields

25x slayers

20x Thunderers with shields

18x thunderers with shields

10x thundererss with shields

10x thunderers with shields

14x miners

15x quarrelers upgraded to rangers 

Phew, there we are... I might have gone Dwarf crazy. My missus thinks so... 

Edited by dienekes, 28 March 2019 - 10:09 AM.

#12 Thorfar Salokin

Thorfar Salokin

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 30 March 2019 - 05:52 AM

Woo-Hoo!!! Serious dwarf addiction alert 😄 ... excellent stuff.

I hope you have somewhere to set up and leave this battle as 6500 could take a while! And an enormous table! 5000 points of raki is mind boggling - at least the VC could be elites but even so.

You've a good mix of units there & fully deployed is a sight to bring tears of joy to any dwarf general.

But once you are deployed (& you will have finished deploying first!) the raki will keep on coming & coming. There will be a mountain of fur across the table... with a few boney bits. You nay find you're beating off wave after wave before you've even had a chance to advance. There'll be gutter runner packs, war machines & probably half a dozen spell casters at least!

You've a few units that have more flexibility - rangers, miners & gyro copters. Just keep in mind that when away from your main army they'll be in a sea of raki. For instance I've often picturd my miners popping up & heroically trashing war machines or characters. ... they've duly popped up & then been swamped & wiped out! Harsh lesson & so now I think it's better they survive & are a nuisance rather than the go for the big kill

Have fun and good luck

PS - when your missus starts wearing a false beard & carrying a pick is the time to start worrying

#13 dienekes

dienekes

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 01 April 2019 - 12:22 PM

No false beard yet! 

I have a boarded attic room which I use for gaming, so it can be left up there, and a 6x6 table which I hope should suffice!

Thanks for the advice. I'm not sure what to do with the rangers just yet, i might just have them hidden halfway up the table... for the miners, just the threat of them attacking his machines might make him hold back some stuff... we will be documenting the battle and taking some pictures, so I'll let you know how it goes!

#14 Thorfar Salokin

Thorfar Salokin

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 07:41 AM

Look forward to hearing about it. The attic sounds like a good set up - just what you need!

6×6' table may help your dwarfs too. I play on one with 4' width so a fast enemy can be on you pretty quick. The extra 2' gives you a bit more time to soften the little furry gits up

Good luck

#15 dienekes

dienekes

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 April 2019 - 09:33 PM

Heh, I apologise, the table is 6x4, so no extra room! 

Just a quick question, as I can't find any 7th edition battles to watch online, and the only ones are from 8th and have organ guns firing two dice with upwards of 20 shots, that is not how it works in seventh, right? I can only re-roll if I want to, which will wipe the first effort if I hadn't misfired that is. I seem to just need to roll the artillery dice and then to wound, so automatic hits...

My brother (my opponent) and I will be able to get three days of battles in over the Easter period (he will be bringing lots of extra models for my daughter to paint, she will love that!). So, we have decided to play a 1000 point battle to break the ice, then a 2000 point battle the same day, and leave two days for a whopping 7000 point a side battle. We are designing a narrative behind it, and so it begins with two small forces accidentally bumping into one another as the main armies lay encamped miles away. 

For my 1000 point scouting force I have this: 

Army general is Thane Gurir Plainstrider... 129 points

He is equipped with a great weapon (Rune of Striking and Rune of Fury), gromril Armour (Master Rune of Gromril) 

Thane Duris Emberrock carries the Battle Standard... 165 points

Equipped with hand weapon (Master Rune of Swiftness), gromril Armour (Master Rune of Adamant, Rune of Stone) 

20X Dwarf warriors with full command equipped with hand weapons and shields

10xThunderers  with full command equipped with shields (though I am tempted to change it to shield, and great weapon quarrelers - though the hand weapons and shields may give the thunderers better staying power?)

16x Longbeards  with full command equipped with hand weapons and shields

1X Organ gun (though tempted to switch out for a gyrocopter?)

Anyhow, that is the small force that will encounter an unknown Skaven force. 

Edited by dienekes, 05 April 2019 - 09:50 PM.

#16 Zidane_blade

Zidane_blade

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,321 posts

Posted 06 April 2019 - 11:22 AM

Regarding the organ gun, you are indeed correct.
One die, reroll if the number is not high enough and automatic hits 👍

#17 Thorfar Salokin

Thorfar Salokin

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 07 April 2019 - 08:15 AM

Agree with Zidane. Don't forget if you get a misfire on the reroll all you get is a 'fizz... clunk' so a minor fault.

On your general's build if you want to add runes to a great weapon you need Master rune of Kragg the Grim (20 points - sorry!) His basic ws is probably enough for skaven though so you might not need rune of striking & you'd need to drop that anyway to meet his rune points max.

Alternatively don't have the 'great weapon' part. Thane profile is reasonably good for a 1000 point battle

Great to see you have your characters named. May the Skaven squeak in fear at the name of Gurir Plainstrider! Pity about the 2'on the table but never mind ... you just get to settle grudges up close & personal that much quicker!

#18 dienekes

dienekes

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 07:29 AM

Thanks for the rune help, I hadn't noticed the properties part, so have added Kragg on my large point battle for the main lord, and this one too. 

Today the dwarfs of Karak Bolg go to battle. A 1000 pointer and a 2000. I am a little concerned about my 2000 points army, having little shooting (only 10 thunderers, an organ gun and a grudge thrower) in order to bulk out on a few infantry regiments of warriors (25 and 20 strong hand weapons and shields), 24x longbeards (hand weapons and shields) and 20 ironbreakers, along with two runesmiths and two Thanes (BSB and general). I shall see how we go and make changes in future! 

#19 dienekes

dienekes

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 01:07 PM

That was a close battle, will post a report soon, but one regiment of skaven clanrats killed my organ gun, and then wiped out the dwarf warriors who had charged their rear in the same turn (damned low initiative!) by overrunning them after failing an awful combat res (due to being outnumbered, and the organ crew causalities going against me meant I was rolling against a -3 leadership test which they failed twice!) they proceeded to charge into Gurir Plainstriders flank in pursuit of the dwarf warriors on my turn, and caused the longbeards to break in his turn... was that the end of the dwarfs? Find out in the report when I get around to writing it! Soon I hope! :)

Edited by dienekes, 10 April 2019 - 05:25 PM.

#20 Thorfar Salokin

Thorfar Salokin

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 11:49 PM

Aah hard luck ... I can't remember the combat res rules in 7th but getting a charge into the rear of any enemy unit is usually a good outcome! So sounds unlucky.

Look forward to the report though!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users