Photo

Just Picked Up A Dwarf Army... Where To Start?

help 8th first dwarf army

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Karnus

Karnus

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 02:35 PM

Hello!

I have just come into possession of a dwarf army that is in desperate need of some TLC (please check out the pictures in the forge if you fancy a laugh ;)  ) I plan on resoring them to thier former glory!

I already play 8th edition lizardmen with my gaming group and I am hoping these dwarfs will lend a bit of variety in terms of playstyle.

I have (I think?):

~55x Warriors with great weapons

~30x Warriors with sword and board

~30x Thunderers

2x Organ guns

1x Cannon

1x Ropey gyrocopter/bomber

+ "I Swear too much" ton of extras/bits

I don't have an 8th edition Dwarf army book unfortunately (and they seem to be a bit like rocking horse "I swear too much" online) but I have added that up to be around the 1500-1600 point mark before adding any runes or other extra gubbins.

What would you recommend to add to it to get it up to the 2500 point mark? I don't think I got any dedicated characters in the lot, I wouldn't know what I was looking for if I did!

#2 LiveWaaaaagh

LiveWaaaaagh

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 02:43 PM

First of all, welcome and it's great that we have another Dawi playing 8th edition. It's funny - I played Dwarfs as my main forever, but I'm now switching to Lizardmen to have as a 2nd army, so vice versa to you.

I haven't checked yet the thread on "The Forge", but what you have is a great start. The Warriors can also act as Longbeards, or if you're re-paiting them, you could easily give some grayer beards and you're set.

The GW variety are great to field as a horde of 30+. The Sword & Board warriors, 30 would be a good number. Any less than that, and it might be tough.

A lot of Thunderers, recommend doing 2 units of 12 or so, or even 3 units of 10. That'll give you flexiblity.

2 Organ guns, 1 cannon and 1 Gyro are all amazing to have and almost must-include in most lists.

But regardless, a great start, so what to add?

Characters:

If you like fluff, Belegar is always a good choice. A strong lord, but also fluffy. Regardless of that, find yourself a Runesmith and Thane BSB ASAP. You could likely even convert a warrior into a BSB thane with the bits, if you want. A lord on shiledbearers is also a good choice for 2500 pts.

Units:

I'm a big fan of Ironbreakers, so I could definitely encourage you getting 20 of them. It'll also depend a bit on your playstyle, right? If you want to to play more defensively, ironbreakers will be your best bet. Another altnerative would be Hammerers - great unit that packs a punch. I've seen hordes of 30 do massive damage.

1 more Gyro is never a bad idea as well.

So 20 IBs, 1 Gyro and some characters would be where I'd go next!

#3 Lord Alisk

Lord Alisk

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,368 posts

Posted 16 February 2019 - 02:38 PM

Pretty much what LiveWaaaagh said.

I'd definitely advise hammerers, more gyrocopters, rangers, runesmiths and an army standard bearer as a priority for the first round of additions. 

I'd rate hammerers above iron breakers on the basis that they can have a more expensive banner, so can have either the runes of Groth One Eye or Valaya, both of which really support the rest of the army really well. I find iron breakers pretty situational - they're brilliant against elves - but the amount of damage they can do is hit-and-miss. Iron breakers certainly benefit from having a runesmith with them to boost their damage output. However, if you use a lot of great weapon warriors in core, Iron breakers might be more useful. I tend to use a lot of hand weapon and shield longbeards, so hammerers complement them nicely, but as you've got more GW warriors, iron breakers *might* be more useful.

I quite like running 2 units of hammerers if the points allow - a big unit to smash the enemy, and a small one to provide support (and carry either the rune of Groth One Eye or Valaya). However, for main battleline units of hammerers, you do need to have huge numbers - as in over 30. They die as easily as a normal greatweapon dwarf, and every ranged weapon will target them, so they usually get badly shot up, and they always strike last in combat, of course.

Gyrocopters are for me essential - they're good value for points and are really irritating to the enemy. Also, if you've got Groth One Eye nearby, you can have interesting shenanigans with stubborn gyrocopters - with T5 and 3 wounds, they're hard for S3 enemies to get rid of, and they're ranged damage output is pretty decent, meaning that the enemy will often shoot them before your hammerers (which in my armies at least are the real threat). 

Rangers are just handy. They're good value for points, and give you plenty of options (miners are the same). 

Rune smiths are vital to dulling the enemy magic and adding a bit more bite to units which do not have great weapons. And an army standard bearer will keep you in the fight, and (with the Rune of Grungni) will offer a bit of shelter from shooting.

So for me, I'd go:

- Rune smith and army standard bearer

- Either hammerers or Iron breakers - depending on how you want to play. 

- Gyrocopters

- Rangers 

(in that order).

It's great to see more 8th edition players around, and welcome to the forum.

#4 Karnus

Karnus

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 February 2019 - 10:37 PM

Thanks for the welcome! I often buy job lots from the classifieds to sell on and keep what I fancy - as such I’ve picked up the battle for skull pass models so I’ve got a character at least (and a random slayer lol).

I’ve noticed that a lot of the 8th edition dwarf options aren’t in production anymore? Shield bearers and other characters seem to be running a premium in the second hand market :(

#5 Lord Alisk

Lord Alisk

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,368 posts

Posted 18 February 2019 - 08:35 AM

My pleasure! 

Shield-bearers are tricky to track down for a reasonable price, but I've seen people do decent conversions using plastic iron breakers or hammerers which look  pretty straightforward to  do.

In terms of characters, I'm a massive fan  of Black Chapel Miniatures: https://blackchapelminiatures.com/en/ The dwarfs are a bit more slender than the GW ones, but they do mix in OK on the whole (their not-Empire miniatures are a better fit scale-wise). 

Miners might be a tricky unit to source too for a reasonable price. 

#6 Thunderförge

Thunderförge

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 18 February 2019 - 12:49 PM

I have lots of sprues with spare arms and weapons and stuff, PM me if there's anything you think you might need!

#7 Karnus

Karnus

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 08:58 AM

I have lots of sprues with spare arms and weapons and stuff, PM me if there's anything you think you might need!

That's very kind of you to offer! but I suspect you are in the US? I am based in the UK so postage might be an issue!

I am unsure what I may need just yet, telling myself I need to finish painting 30 lizardmen templeguard and 2 salamanders + handlers before I properly start work on the dwarfs. The temptation to jump ship early is strong!

#8 Thunderförge

Thunderförge

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 11:00 AM

Nonsense! I’m not some dirty colonial! I live in deepest darkest Devon, caan’t yerz tell by uz aaccent? :-)

#9 Karnus

Karnus

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 08:36 AM

Nonsense! I’m not some dirty colonial! I live in deepest darkest Devon, caan’t yerz tell by uz aaccent? :-)

Well that is most helpful! I will be sure to let you know! right now the most obvious thing missing is siege engine crew, I've found a few engineer bodies mixed in with the great weapon warriors but I don't think they are salvageable as crew :(

#10 Thorfar Salokin

Thorfar Salokin

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 03 March 2019 - 08:25 AM

An 8th edition dwarf army project! Excellent & great to hear you're rescuing these poor abused dwarfs.

Plenty of good advice already. On the ironbreaker vs hammerer debate it's the IBs for me. Appreciate the point about damage output but their ability to absorb punishment is incredible. If you take hardly any casualties you only need to cause a few in return to win the combat!

A few ideas in addition ...

I do have a BSB but often go to battle without him. Dwarf leadership is so good & often find an extra runesmith more valuable. That might be because I'm getting more and more magic being thrown at my dwarfs (desperation I call it)

Deployment - big units & plenty of war machines mean I've often finished placing all my army before my opponent. Which means you a clever opponent can set up to take out your best units (sneaky underhand elgi tactics sort of thing). I have x2 units of basic slayers at 60 points to try & lessen this effect

Talking of slayers .... yes I know that they rarely get a mention in the optimised dwarf army list but .... who doesn't want a unit of FROTHING MAD UNBREAKABLE DWARFS! It may be a bit down the line but they are great fun

As for GWS alternatives I like the Avatar of War figures. A little bigger than GWS but ok. Depending on where you are in the UK there are some hobby shops that do grear deals incl 8th edition characters. Area 51 in Bristol is a treasure trove - they did have plenty of plastic dwarfs.

Good luck and may your clan banners be honoured with victories

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: help, 8th, first dwarf army

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users