214 replies to this topic

#1 Glyfi Ironbeard

Glyfi Ironbeard

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 02:10 AM

As the sun begins to set on another day in the badlands, the small village of New Haven is alive with activity.  Amidst the gusting wind, a wind that blows the red dust of the scrub lands about and creates a red haze across the windswept valley, the small town is seeing a number of strange sights.

To the west, colorful pavilions have been erected in the center of the city’s ancient ruins [Zan’ek Map location 11].  These multicolored tents stand out against the harsh red landscape that is the scrub lands that make up the majority of this region.  From this newly erected camp two humans and a dwarf move towards the local tavern [Zan’ek Map location 5].

The tavern, like most of the buildings of this area, is covered with a fine layer of the red dust that seems to always be blowing through this region.  The dusty sign that is hanging above the door depicts two snotlings bashing each other over the head with crude little weapons.  It is situated between what looks like warehouses to the north [locations 3 and 4] and a small village center to the southeast [location 6].  Beyond the tavern to the south lies a number of fields and farm houses [locations 7 and 8]

The inside of the tavern is warm.  A large fireplace sits on one wall and ten large tables dominate the room along with benches at each.  The tavern has an oddity as there is no bar but there is a large iron cage that dominates the center of the room.

Drunken Snotlings

Another strange occurrence for the area is two of the three keel boats being present in the settlement at the same time.  Both the Darting Otter and the Queen of the Border Princes are currently tied up at the wharf [location 1] and the crews involved in various activities.  Amid the bustle of dock workers and river men, a dwarf moves off towards the dock master’s office [location 2] leaving a second dwarf behind to watch and attempt to cover his mouth against the prevailing dust.

All of this will be visible to yet another dwarf as he makes his way into the town from the wilderness areas west along the lower river.  He is a strange looking dwarf with a number of large axes and wild hair.  The group of humans within the tavern however will not see the sudden appearance of so many dwarfs in a human settlement.

With the sun setting, these new comers will need to begin thinking about lodging and the only place that offers accommodations is the local tavern.  If the new comer is lucky, their employer may help provide accommodations, otherwise they will need to fend for themselves.  As the night is closing in, the temperature is beginning to drop rapidly from the upper 70s that was the high of the day.

To the south, two soldiers move up the road next to the river towards New Haven.  Each is liveried with a gold sword and torch crossed on a field of scarlet.

To the east of the river, yet more dwarfs are arriving to board the ferry across the river.  All three of them are heavily armed and sporting mail armor.  One of them is also sporting spiked up hair that is colored orange.

[OOC: The intro is a bit different, since everyone should have a bit of an intro in a private message already.  At this point, I’m just combining everyone into a single thread.  Below is the listing of where everyone is located as the game begins.

Hero of Rome is inside the Drunken Snotling (5).

Thunderforge has just entered the Drunken Snotling (5).

Skull Krusher is standing on the wharf (1).

Ragnar is on the outskirts of the village (Northeast of 16)

Bonecrusher is waiting on the ferry (opposite side of the river from 6)

HammerJohn and Hovamol are moving up from the south (southeast of 6)

The temperature is now roughly 70 and falling, the wind is blowing, and the sky is changing to more oranges and reds, heralding the coming of night.]

#2 HammerJohn

HammerJohn

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 10:06 AM

'Bugger that smug fool Caneletto' Markus thought to himself as he walked towards New Haven. Not only had he spent his fair share of time patrolling around Haven Rock, paid his fair share of bruised knuckles and nosebleeds, but now he also had to endure the prospect of doing the same job in an area that was even less likely to listen to him whenever he told people to seize their bickerings and troublemaking. As an added ironic bonus, he had been an outsider at Haven Rock and therefor not been able to really fit in with anyone and now he was stationed with a Tilean. Another Tilean! He just hoped that this guy would be down to earth enough to at least have someone to talk with. If not, this could turn out to be a very long stationing.

'So Tilean' Markus started. If nothing else at least it was worth a shot. 'What made you come to this place and Caneletto's folk?'

#3 Hero of Rome

Hero of Rome

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,227 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 11:07 AM

Lars turned towards the door, von Klink - the Drunken's Snotling's barkeeper - evidently disappointed by his refusal. Stopping for a few seconds Lars turned around. "Von Klink, while I am not interested in becoming patron of this week's snotling cage fights, I will be willing to pay for a room where I can spend the night and a safe place for my horse."

Edited by Hero of Rome, 02 January 2019 - 11:35 AM.

#4 Glyfi Ironbeard

Glyfi Ironbeard

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 12:07 PM

As Lars turns back to deal with von Klink, two humans and a dwarf make their way into the tavern.  The first human is young man with deep blue eyes and blond hair while the second human is also young with green eyes and brown hair.  The second human looks to be sulking.  The dwarf of the group looks to be much older than these two with brown eyes and black hair.  All three are covered in the red dust that blows through the region.

"What sort of room would you prefer?  I happen to have a private room available, or the common room for two pennies."

Edited by Glyfi Ironbeard, 02 January 2019 - 12:08 PM.

#5 Hero of Rome

Hero of Rome

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,227 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 12:20 PM

"I'll take the private room." Lars replied.

#6 Skull Krusher

Skull Krusher

Skazastoki

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,516 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 12:42 PM

Before taking Garil Hugnirsson's advice to head over to the Drunken Snotling tavern, Drazhdrakk covered and tied a wet cloth over his nose and mouth to keep from breathing in any red dust that was constantly blowing in the area.  He wondered if he would see Garil, his employer again, if he was his bodyguard why did Garil tell him to go to the tavern.  Shaking his head, Drazhdrakk gathered up his belongings, departed the keel riverboat and headed to the tavern before the sun sets.  Once inside he will ask for a minimum of a nights lodging in a private room and a meal.

Edited by Skull Krusher, 02 January 2019 - 12:43 PM.

#7 Glyfi Ironbeard

Glyfi Ironbeard

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 02:08 PM

Hurrying to wait on the new comers, von Klink says the private room is 8 pennies for the night. Before Lars can reply, the man is taking an order for the blonde headed man that just walked in.

The young man is placing a silver on the table which the barkeep happily swipes into his pocket before hurrying off to bring back a few bottles of spirits.

As he passes Lars, he says, “I’ll see to the room in a minute.”

As von Klink disappears into the back, Drazhdrakk walks into the bar to find a man and a young woman watching all the new comers from a corner table at the back, the two men and a dwarf he saw from outside, and another human standing there waiting on von Klink to return about the room. After a moments pause, the hpyoung woman slides from the bench next to the man and hurries into the back room after von Klink.

#8 Glyfi Ironbeard

Glyfi Ironbeard

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 04:14 PM

As the two soldiers make there way towards New Haven, another man is gaining on them as he also travels from Haven Rock to New Haven.

#9 twigsthesage

twigsthesage

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 06:09 PM

Lykos Valorous long stride carries him down the road towards New Haven. He is tall and strongly build, long, dark, unbound hair swirling behind him in the breeze one could mistake him for a warrior but the robes he wears beneath his breastplate marking him as a priest of Sigmar. He'd spent months traveling to his new station in Haven Rock, and he was not impressed by what he saw.

Lost in thought he mutters to himself as he travels. "Deplorable. To see the men of the empire so lost. Not even a proper temple within the town in which to worship. They let the greenskins run rampant just beyond the borders of the town! This cannot continue. It is no wonder I was sent here. I must remind these lost souls of the path before them."

#10 Ragnar Alpaca

Ragnar Alpaca

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 06:58 PM

Yarick sighs a breath of relief as a small town appears ahead of him on the horizon through the dust. He had made his way this far south to ultimately seek a glorious death. He had heard rumors of many nasty beasts and roaming greenskins in the area, which would mean many opportunities for his demise. Before he could meet death though, he first must get a place to stay for the night that’s isn’t the ground for a change, and to buy some food and drink. He walks into the small town cautiously and observes the buildings surrounding him.

Edited by Ragnar Alpaca, 02 January 2019 - 06:59 PM.

#11 Glyfi Ironbeard

Glyfi Ironbeard

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 07:03 PM

Yarick passed an ancient stone wall that was mostly covered by years of dust as he walked into the town. He saw the dock and dock master’s office, the warehouses, and even what looked like a human tavern. The dust covered sign was blowing in the wind above the door and had an interesting image of two snotlings bashing each other. There was writing on the sign as well, but the image captured his attention as he approached the building.

#12 Ragnar Alpaca

Ragnar Alpaca

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 07:40 PM

Yarick wasn’t the brightest, but he knew this sign meant one of two things, drinks inside or grinskins to slay, he entered without hesitation.

#13 Glyfi Ironbeard

Glyfi Ironbeard

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 08:17 PM

As yet another dwarf entered the Drunken Snotling in the form of Yarick, von Klink came out of the back room with an armful of bottles and made towards the young, blonde haired man.  The younger girl followed him out and was tying on an apron as she walked back into the main room.

"I'll be with you dwarfs in a minute," called von Klink to Yarick and Drazhdrakk as he started depositing 4 bottles in front of the young man.  Lars was still standing and waiting on the finalization of the transaction for the room and his horse's stabling.

Another man was still sitting at a table in the back, watching the crowd with interest.

Edited by Glyfi Ironbeard, 02 January 2019 - 08:18 PM.

#14 Hero of Rome

Hero of Rome

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,227 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 08:25 PM

As von Klink quickly brushed past him, Lars politely grabbed the barkeeper's arm. "Excuse me, sir, but please could you get my room and stabling sorted out. Afterwards I won't be requiring anything else."

#15 Glyfi Ironbeard

Glyfi Ironbeard

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 09:00 PM

"Sure, sure..." said von Klink as he turned from dropping off the bottle for the blonde haired man.  "I'll take care of the horse and the room, just let me help these new dwarfs a second.  By the look of the dust, they have traveled a bit.  Katrin!"

He pulled free of Lars' grip and turned to walk towards the three dwarfs.

"So what can old von Klink get you?" he asks the dwarfs.

The young woman, presumably named Katrin, moves towards Lars.

#16 Hero of Rome

Hero of Rome

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,227 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 09:03 PM

"Typical." Lars grumbled, following von Klink through the ever growing crowd.

Edited by Hero of Rome, 02 January 2019 - 09:40 PM.

#17 Thunderförge

Thunderförge

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 10:44 PM

A black-bearded dwarf stood near the kitchen door, dust clung to his chainmail and sweat soaked through his wooden tunic. A rolled up fur cloak rested on top of his travelling pack.
Thrang eyed all the newcomers suspiciously, he tried to brush the red dust off of his clothes and out of his beard, but it didn’t seem to help.
“Klink!” he called as the landlord hurried past. “A pint when you’re able, and another for while I’m waiting!”

Edited by Thunderförge, 02 January 2019 - 11:01 PM.

#18 Glyfi Ironbeard

Glyfi Ironbeard

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 11:17 PM

"You got it.  Katrin bring a pint dear," cried von Klink before asking, "So, any luck snaring a snotling?"

The young girl who had just reached Lars turned and headed off to fetch a pint for Thrang.  The barkeep didn't wait for an answer but started rattling off prices at the other dwarfs.

"I have some vegetable stew for a penny, some bread and butter for two, a pint is a penny, and m' special brew is two a pint.  What'll you have?  Maybe your here for a game?"  He said this last with a bit of extra excitement.

#19 Bonecrusher

Bonecrusher

Kro'undi

• Brewery Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,709 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 11:26 PM

Mordrin's boots scuffed the red dust on the planks of the wharf, as he looked over the river at this umgi town he wondered whether the rumours were true and whether his oath would be fulfilled. He wrapped his cloak around himself to keep out the dust as best he could, though it was turning his crest from orange to red.

Turning to the other dwarfs waiting with him and addressed the in Khazalid,"Why was the mine closed and whose behind its reopening? Any dark creatures I it's depths?"

#20 Glyfi Ironbeard

Glyfi Ironbeard

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 11:41 PM

Hoenir responded to Mordrin as a ferry came bobbing into view from the far side, a single lantern shining out in the deepening gloom.  "I'm not sure the history of the mine.  All I know was the seal was intact when we got there and we didn't meet anything once we got inside aside from a handful of vermin.  As far as creatures in the mine, I've not seen one."

Snorri spoke up at this point and said, "Well, I've not seen them, but some of the miners are swearing that they have seen signs of giant centipedes burrowing around down there.  There was even that story about one coming up to the lower hall...".

"Now you know Thane Brokkson doesn't want that sort of talk circulated to outsiders," interrupted Hoenir.  "He'd have our hide if we started scaring people away."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users