Photo

[8Th] - Facing Ogres And Warriors Of Chaos - Tips?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 LiveWaaaaagh

LiveWaaaaagh

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 04:30 AM

Hi all! This weekend, I’ll be facing Ogres and Warriors of Chaos - 2 armies I’ve never faced before and I was hoping someone with more experience would shed some light on how Dwarfs best fight these armies!

#2 Lord Alisk

Lord Alisk

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 01 December 2018 - 01:16 PM

A lot depends on how 'hard' your opponents play, to be honest. I've seen / heard about pure filth warriors of chaos armies built around chariots, chimerae and unkillable flying daemon princes, all of which are very difficult to counter. At a friendly level both armies are fine (iron blasters and hell cannon are a bit broken  but if there's only 1 of each then they're not too bad).

I've not that much experience fighting these armies, but for what it's worth:

- Gyrocopters are essential. They won't kill much, as they can't do much against heavy armour or multi-wound models, but they'll be able to get in the way of the major enemy threats and clog them up. You'll probably need to keep the enemy at arms length as much as possible. Both armies have very  powerful  monstrous cavalry - so they're prime targets for clogging up with gyrocopters.

- I'd advise a flame cannon or two.  As they always cause panic tests if they inflict wounds and chaos &  ogres have average leadership then the more panic tests the enemy have to take the better. And they're multi-wound too boot - excellent against ogres.

- Also, forcing panic tests generally is a good idea due to low enemy leadership (esp. for ogres) - so if there are small and vulnerable units, the destruction of which will force a panic test, make sure that you try to destroy them. 

-  Both ogres & warriors are good with chaff - so lone sabretusks or small units of chaos hounds - which are a real menace for your war machines. There's no easy counter for this, but an engineer with a rune of impact (plus a rune of stone) can help with minor chaff nuisances. Gyrocopters are decent at anti-chaff duties, as too are dragon slayers. Also, rangers and iron drakes (as they're quick to fire) can help a lot here. 

- I think slayers are under-rated - they're very handy tarpits, and are very characterful. You can experiment with having lots of giant slayers to force the enemy to  direct their attacks and so probably result in lots of wasted wounds.

- Rangers will be very handy to mess up with enemy vanguards. Rangers are the same price as great weapon quarrellers anyway, so if you've enough core and points spare in rare you get scouting and throwing axes for free. Also, given the lowish leadership of the enemy, you might get lucky with march blocking and/or forcing frenzied troops to charge unadvisedly. 

- Anti-armour (versus warriors) - I'd advise lots of rune smiths and hammerers. Certainly, try to get every S4 infantry unit a rune smith - longbeards with shields are pretty decent with armour piercing, and it makes iron breakers or iron drakes quite nasty. 

- Stubborn, stubborn, stubborn - so hammerers with Groth one Eye, ironbreakers on one flank  with the Rune of Stoicism, etc. Hammerer will also be the main offensive threat in the army, and will help no end with banners (maybe 2 units, one with Valaya, the other with Groth), so I'd try and get two units if possible. Your enemy are at their most nasty on the charge due to the abundance of impact hits - so it's essential you can take the charge & grind them down.

- Though the Anvil of Doom *is* terrible, I've seen a friend run one with the master rune of adamant and the runes of parrying & striking. And then entrench it (it's a war machine after all...). You've then got an unbreakable T10, 5 wound model which cannot be stomped or killing blowed and is -2 to hit on the first round of combat, and -1 after that (everything less than WS8 hits it on 6 on the 1st round), and can never be attacked by more than 6 enemy models. He is very expensive (so only viable for larger point games), & I do appreciate that for the same points you could get a huge unit of slayers, but this combination was very, very effective at anchoring the flank of a static dwarf army. Plus it does give some help with dispel dice and gives some minor spells to cast. Only one for very big games (my friend used it in a 24,000 a side game...) but it is just about the only useful deployment of an anvil of doom I've seen. 

Anyway, I've not got that much experience, but I do hope that that's of some help.

#3 LiveWaaaaagh

LiveWaaaaagh

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 01 December 2018 - 02:55 PM

Great, great stuff Lord Alisk! Thank you so much for the insight and ideas!

So, here's a quick update as I'm about to head over and play the game. I'm bringing semi-fluffy armies, as opposed to super competitive. Based on my previous games against this person, he plays fun, competitive, but friendly armies. He fielded Skaven without arillery and magic once, for example.

So, we're hoping to get 2 games in. In one, I'll be bringing the one and only Belegar Ironhammer. In the other, A rune lord on the anvil of dooooooooom! :) I wanted to instead field Thorek, but he's just so bad, I can't.

The core of both armies is the same because these are the units I have. I recognize that against Warriors of Chaos especially GWs or Hammerers would do well. But alas, I don't have any (maybe an excuse to go on a shjopping spree!). So we're going with 20 Shieldbeards, 20 Ironbreakers, 1 Gyro, 10 Irondrakes for flanks/chaff, 15 Thunderers, 1 runed organ gun, Thane, Runesmith and engineer!

Oh and stubborn :)

Let's see how this goes!

#4 Lord Alisk

Lord Alisk

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 02 December 2018 - 08:48 AM

No worries - my pleasure.

How did the games go? I'm sure Belegar would do really well with the Iron Breakers.

Fun and friendly-yet-competitive games are generally great fun. I hope you got on well. 

#5 LiveWaaaaagh

LiveWaaaaagh

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 11 December 2018 - 02:31 PM

I'm hoping to get proper Battle reports, or at least 1 for the games vs Ogres. Hopefully this week!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users