• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Ungiboi

Ungiboi

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 09:23 PM

Hi guys, i was hoping you could help me decide on a colour scheme for my dwarf army i plan to build over the next few months.

https://image.ibb.co...05_D1953_AD.jpg

These are some test models i have done with some thunderers I bough of ebay a while back, i like the purple and brown look but i think the army needs and alternate colour so everyone isn’t just purple. Any suggestions?

Edited by Ungiboi, 07 January 2018 - 09:59 PM.

#2 Ragnar Alpaca

Ragnar Alpaca

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 10:00 PM

I think it looks fantastic as is, if you’re looking for another color though you could add white instead of the brown for some more elite units to make them stand out more.

#3 Ungiboi

Ungiboi

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 10:10 PM

I was thinking of keeping the brown on all the models but changing up the cloth colour, white was one of the first colors i tried but im pretty new to painting and i couldn’t get it to look good. I was just looking on the citadel paint app and i think this yellow colour would be a nice to splash in the army to break up the purple.

https://ibb.co/j3UZ1b
Sorry about the links I haven’t figured out how to show pictures normally yet lol

#4 Ragnar Alpaca

Ragnar Alpaca

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 10:44 PM

That could work well, but wou don’t want the army to look like two separate armies, if you’re going to add yellow to some models make sure you have some purple on them as well. Although if you don’t care about them looking like separate groups then do whatever you like. Also white isn’t too hard I find, just follow the citadel paint app recipe for white except for the nuln oil wash, water it down slightly and only apply it to the recesses.

#5 Thunderförge

Thunderförge

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 11:39 PM

Hi Ungiboi, they are great thunderers!
Personally I like armies that have a really strong, cohesive look in the table, and keeping the single purple would give you that. I imagine it as an army made for a purpose, raised, trained and equipped by one noble.
Admittedly purple is a bit of a poncy elf colour, but who am I to judge?
White is the most striking colour against purple, but obviously stick to what you’re comfortable doing. Using brown/tan as a complimentary colour is also good because you’ll need something for all the belts, boots and pouches!
Keep up the good work and I’ll look forward to seeing some more units!

#6 Ungiboi

Ungiboi

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 12:01 AM

I just had a go with white on a space marine helmet for practice and it came out much better. I think i just struggle with the organic shape of the sleeves more than the sharp edges on a helmet. I have a few more thunderers left to practice on before my real army arrives so ill try out some different styles on them and see how it looks

#7 Thunderförge

Thunderförge

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 12:26 AM

Do you have a back story? I always find I have more drive to paint if I know who and why; who’s leading your army and decided to use purple? Does it represent the high purple mountains of the World’s Edge or the amethyst jewel stolen all those years ago the army is seeking to reclaim?

The first dwarves I ever painted were blobbed in primary colours, and it was a while before I realised how awesome washes were! Ain’t nothing can’t be improved by a splosh of Oil of Nuln! :-)

#8 Ungiboi

Ungiboi

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 06:44 PM

I do like having a backstory for my army but I haven’t decided on one yet, i know Barak Var wear purple but i think id rather make my own Hold than use an existing one.

I had another go at the white after work today
https://ibb.co/eNhvsR
https://ibb.co/gygARm

I still want purple to be the main colour and just use white as a second colour to add a bit of variety. Im still struggling trying to get the sleeves to look good but hopefully that will come with practice.

#9 Ragnar Alpaca

Ragnar Alpaca

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 06:50 PM

That looks great! The white really adds imo

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: painting, modeling, dwarf, discussion

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users