#1 Pellegrim

Pellegrim

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,881 posts

Posted 06 January 2018 - 11:58 AM

Hi gents,

Besides the European Tournament Championship, the ETC, the largest tabletop event with with around 250 9th Age players, and more 40k players and FoW players from all over the globe, some guys started the World Championship to run parallel to it. If you look where most contestants come from they would have to switch names, but hey, as long as there are many gamer together playing a great game it's all good. And next weekend is the WTC warm-up. We are traveling to Aachen, Germany with our team of five. A weekend of gaming, beers and fun. And also the unavoidable "I swear too much". We are probably not as competitive as most of the other players, but that won't prevent us from giving it our best and having fun. 

Strategy

I was tinkering around with a well balanced, competitive Dwarf list, when I though, nah, I am going full push force. More oriented at having fun! So 3 beefed up vanguard blocks, two sneaky units of miners and some assisting stuff. 

Joris Pelle van Soest - Dwarven Holds

330 - Dragon Seeker, Rune of Fury, Rune of Might, Rune of Precision. 

If you havent heard of this guy, its the ultimate glass cannon from The 9th Age. This one isnt fully kitted, but still throws 7 attacks at initiative 6, that have S6 or S6, WS7 and +1 to hit. He hits most units at a 2+ and wounds them easily also. He  has T5, is butt naked, has 3 wounds and a 6++ ward save. Sitting comfortably in a block of unbreakable Seekers he should deliver his hurt!

450 - Lords of Stone, King, Army General, Shield, Rune of Destruction, 2x Rune of Iron, 2x Rune of Might

Standard monster / character killer, with 4 S6 attacks that multiwounds at D3, 1+ armour save and 5++/6++ wardsave. Provides Ld 10 to the army and one Grudge (before the game I mark one enemy unit that all my units get hatred against). 

319 - Runic Smith, Rune of Gleaming, Rune of Reckoning, Rune of Resilience, Shield, Rune of Iron, Rune of Dragon's Breath

He is here to provide dispelling as a wizard master, some buffs on my units and a nice 2D6 breath weapon.

280 - 10 Clan Marksmen, Guild-Crafted Handguns, Shields

240 - 10 Clan Marksmen, Handguns, Shields

As the Seekers can not score and take objectives, I use two small blocks of miners and two small blocks of shooters to poke and score. 

630 - 30 Clan Warriors, Shield, Spear, Champion, Musician, Standard Bearer, Runic Standard of Swiftness

Both my Lord and Smith go in the Speardwarfs, making it a mean block that that fights in 3 ranks deep, has AP1, lethal strike versus cavalry, montrour cavalry and chariots, a king that throws punches at S6 and multiwound D3, a smith that can buff the unit throws a breath weapon that auto hits 2D6 flaming attacks at S4. Not a welcome sight for many enemies. This block moves up 12" after deployment with vanguard, and can then march 9". It can be 3" from the enemy line in its first turn. 

240 - 10 Miners, Shield, Throwing Weapon

240 - 10 Miners, Shield, Throwing Weapon

Like my two small units of shooters, these guys are here to annoy and score. With shields and base strength 4 and throwing weapons they can annoy well. Remember: dwarfs, so S5 on the charge. 

560 - 20 Seekers, Champion, Standard Bearer, Vanguard

670 - 25 Seekers, Champion, Vanguard

Headache block that are meant to pressure and earn back their points in battle. They can not score so are just here to kill. The have WS4 S4 and can each turn chose to fight with additional handweapons, granting them an extra attack and extra initiative, or great weapons, granting initiative 0 and S6. When you charge them in, the are S5 basic, so you give them additional hand weapons for 22 attacks (7 wide formation).  They never break from combat so an enemy has to kill every last model. When he kills one, it can hit back while dying, so the amount of attack can be amazing. They always wound anything on 4+. Both blocks moves up 12" after deployment with vanguard, and can then march 9". It can be 3" from the enemy line in its first turn. 

140 - 5 Rangers, Shield, Throwing Weapon

Very important little block, as is can secure my vanguarding blocks movement. When I finnish deploying first, I deploy this unit up so they create a safe zone for my vanguard block. Vanguard blocks have to remain 12" from enemies. So if my opponent has fast cavalry, and he can vanguard first because he has had the last drop, I can deploy my scout in front of my vanguard blocks. He can then move up 6" towards my ranger, and my vanguardeers can move up 6", charge after or move up 9" so they are 8" away from the enemy deployment zone. 

200 - Steam Bomber

200 - Steam Bomber

myThese guys have to roles: protect my blocks flanks and rear if need be, and harras fast troops that move around my blocks. The drop 7 autohits each turn at S3 when the fly over an enemy unit, and shoot 4 S5 shots too. So the can actually sting pretty good, and assisted by my gunners (20 shots) they should provide some cover. 

Edited by Pellegrim, 06 January 2018 - 12:44 PM.

#2 Pellegrim

Pellegrim

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,881 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 08:02 PM

So, that was fun :)

Great tourny organisation again, by the Betreutes, free breakfast (two days), warm lunch, free soda, cheap beer, not so much sleep, much, much dice rolls, great armies and fun.

As usual it took 1 game to warm me up, a 19-1 loss verus beast herds, very powerfull list with ambushers, ran by a very good german player. Then it got a little better for me, I rallied to the cause, had a draw, small loss, win and big win. 

The tactic with three powerfull vanguard blocks def. works; the two miner blocks are essential (40 shots when they come on the table), the two bombers are essential, and the two shooting blocks work ok too. Had a blast! learned alot. There are still armies out there I never played in my live (as in: factions). 

We are now looking into organising GT's in the Netherlands too - and got a good orga that wants to help to get it going. 

Pelle

#3 Pellegrim

Pellegrim

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,881 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 09:23 PM

By the way, my next adventures will not be as beardy .... but rather eh .... green!

so long

#4 jouke1988

jouke1988

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 11:24 AM

Something to do with a certain Chaos god? Or just a combination of scared and brutal?

#5 Pellegrim

Pellegrim

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,881 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 01:40 PM

My inner Orc has burst out! WAAAAAAARGHHHHHH

#6 Ragnar Alpaca

Ragnar Alpaca

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members