• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 RaritanAnon

RaritanAnon

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 05:57 AM

So I'm just getting into AoS, coming from 8th 40k. I've had fun with that system and I'd like to play the other GW game sicne I missed out on WHFB for the most part. I really want to start up Dwarfs, since I've loved the aesthetic and the models ever since I played 4th ed 40k and saw them on the shelves. So, I make this thread to pose a question that I've been asking myself and others, without a clear answer.

How do I want to build my Dwarf army? Now the simple answer would be 'Go Disposessed' but I found a bit of a flaw with that when I wanted to take Gyrocopters and War Machines: the ally points is far too low for you to take much of anything.

So to start off, I kind of want to base this problem on a system of playing on a 1000pt matched game, with possible room for expansion to 2000. My options are thus:

• Dispossessed - Standard Dwarfs with Gyrocopter/Bomber support
  • Dispossessed v2 - Standard Dwarfs with Fyreslayer support
  • All Dwarf Tempest's Eye - Organ Guns/Cannons/Copters/Bombers with Dwarf support

So I'll tackle the first one. Obviously it's the standard Dispossessed idea with the Pickaxe+Irondrakes and a pair of Copters to support, as allies. The list looks like this. Pretty standard stuff. 

Allegiance: Dispossessed
- Grudge: Shoddy Craftsmanship
Runelord (80)
- General
- Trait: Resolute 
- Artefact: Ancestral Pickaxe 
Warden King (120)
20 x Warriors (160)
- Double-handed Duardin Axes & Shields
10 x Longbeards (120)
- Great Axes & Shields
10 x Irondrakes (200)
10 x Thunderers (120)
Gyrobombers (80)
- Allies
Gyrocopters (80)
- Gun: Steam Gun
- Allies

Total: 960 / 1000
Allies: 160 / 200
Wounds: 69

Now the second idea is the one I'm actually the least excited about, because I think Fyreslayers ought to keep with their own army, but a second set of deepstriking Dwarfs is something hard to pass up. Plus, Aurics are one of the only Fyreslayers that don't technically need Fyreslayer Hero support, like Hearthguard do. But other than that, it's essentially the same list as above, but with Slayers instead of Gyrocopters.

Runelord (80)
- General
- Trait: Resolute 
Warden King (120)
Auric Runesmiter (80)
- Forge Key
- Allies
20 x Warriors (160)
10 x Longbeards (120)
- Great Axes & Shields
10 x Irondrakes (200)
10 x Thunderers (120)
5 x Auric Hearthguard (100)
- Allies

Total: 980 / 1000
Allies: 180 / 200
Wounds: 70

Lastly there's the oddball of the bunch. Using Tempest's Eye from the Firestorm rules to run a psuedo mixed army of Ironweld and Dispossessed in kind. Out of the three, this is the one that I think will end up being the most fun, but probably not the most viable for any kind of win%, if you catch my meaning. It has a cannon, which will do wonders vs. anything that monstrous, and has two copters for flanking and support. Hammerers are there to be a deadly melee opponent accompanied with the Runelord, while the King will hang around the Longbeards and the Warriors will be a general tarpit. A friend told me that I'm just a grognard trying to relive the glory days of Gunline Dwarfs from 8th ed, with this list, which made me smile a bit. The obvious disadvantage is the lack of Dispossessed Allegiance, which means no deepstriking pickaxe and no Battleshock immunity, and no Grudges. That seems like a lot to lose, just to gain 2"/4" move and +1 to saves in the first turn, if I'm honest. Plus, the Grand Alliance: Order traits and artifacts just aren't too amazing.

Allegiance: Tempest's Eye
Warden King (120)
- General
- Trait: Legendary Fighter
- Artefact: Obstinate Blade
Runelord (80)
20 x Warriors (160)
10 x Longbeards (120)
- Great Axes & Shields
10 x Hammerers (180)
Cannon (180)
Gyrocopters (80)
Gyrobombers (80)

Total: 1000 / 1000
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 63

So those are the three choices that I've given myself, and I'm mainly leaning either the first one, or the last one, but being so new to the game, I don't really have a lot of experience one way or another. I also started up a Strawpoll for by-the-numbers decision making.
http://www.strawpoll.me/14752469

Thank you for having me on the forums by the way, and if you have any advice for me, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Edited by RaritanAnon, 03 January 2018 - 05:57 AM.

#2 Ragnar Alpaca

Ragnar Alpaca

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 132 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 12:25 PM

Well dispossessed as a whole aren’t very competitive so do whatever you like. However if it was me I would go with the first or second one, the tempests eye ability is just bad, if it wasn’t for just the first turn it would be amazing, but it isn’t. So to not handicap yourself any further I would try to stick within the dispossessed allegiance. As for reliving the gunline from 8th it’s not gonna happen, shooting isn’t as good in AoS, and this is partly why ours dwarfs aren’t that great, the other being the speed in which we walk.

#3 RaritanAnon

RaritanAnon

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 08:43 PM

Well dispossessed as a whole aren’t very competitive so do whatever you like. However if it was me I would go with the first or second one, the tempests eye ability is just bad, if it wasn’t for just the first turn it would be amazing, but it isn’t. So to not handicap yourself any further I would try to stick within the dispossessed allegiance. As for reliving the gunline from 8th it’s not gonna happen, shooting isn’t as good in AoS, and this is partly why ours dwarfs aren’t that great, the other being the speed in which we walk.

Yeah, that makes sense. I was excited to run both copters and war-machines in the same list. With allies points I'm pretty limited. So that was my 'next best thing'. I slept on it, and I think you're right. The Tempest's Eye+GA abilities aren't really worth shooting myself in the foot for. I sort of considered running 1000pts of Fyreslayers and just stopping there, but then I would never expand since for anything 2000pts of Fyreslayers, you need 90 Vulkites to be any competitive.

That may be the issue is that I'm not a competitive sort, but I already have a 'probably never going to win' army in 40k. So I don't really know if there's a 'semi-competitive' option in play I don't know about? All I know is that I don't like Kharadron models, so they're dead out. Disposessed and Fyreslayers are the only options.

That being said, that brings me to what I want to put into my allies then, running Dispossessed allegiance. For 1000pts, I'm pretty limited. Well, based on my preference I mean.
- Organ Gun and Weaponmaster (for rerolls)
- Cannon
- Auric Runesmiter and 5 Auric Hearthguard

- Two Gyrocopters
- Runesmiter on Magmadroth
- ???

So that's where I'm going. At the end of the day it sort of looks like I'll need sort of the same 'base units' for each. King, Runelord, Warriors, Longbeards, Irondrakes. After that I can do whatever I want.

#4 Ragnar Alpaca

Ragnar Alpaca

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 132 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 09:51 PM

i would go with the two gyros

#5 RaritanAnon

RaritanAnon

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 11:07 PM

Out of my two options, its sort of clear. I either run Fyreslayers and try my best to run a non-horde list, or I run the Dorfs and Copters and whatnot. What a long essay for such a flip-a-coin decision lol. So these are the two lists I came up with for both factions. Minus a bit of list wiggling, of course.

Allegiance: Fyreslayers
Auric Runefather (80)
- General
- Trait: Fury of the Fyreslayers 
- Artefact: Obsidian Coronet 
Auric Runesmiter (80)
- Runic Iron
Auric Runesmiter on Magmadroth (200)
- Forge Key
20 x Vulkite Berzerkers (240)
- War-Picks & Slingshields
10 x Auric Hearthguard (200)
10 x Hearthguard Berzerkers (200)
- Poleaxes

Total: 1000 / 1000
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 63

or

Runelord (80)
- General
- Trait: Resilient 
Warden King (120)
10 x Longbeards (120)
- Axes or Hammers
10 x Longbeards (120)
- Axes or Hammers
10 x Hammerers (180)
10 x Irondrakes (200)
Gyrocopters (80)
- Allies
Gyrobombers (80)
- Allies

Total: 980 / 1000
Allies: 160 / 200
Wounds: 59

#6 Ragnar Alpaca

Ragnar Alpaca

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 132 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 12:12 AM

That's your decision to make I am not going to tell you which to pick. It's really what you want, armored more standard dwarfs, or slayers riding dragons, although the Fyreslayers as a faction are much stronger, so if you want to be competitive they are better, but like many others like myself in AoS we prefer the standard dispossessed even though they are not very competitive.

#7 RaritanAnon

RaritanAnon

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 08:47 PM

Hm. Yeah, I think at the end of the day I would have tether been able to pick and choose both, but they don't lend a lot of synergy to one another.

For example, Ironbreakers and Hearthguard sort of fulfill the same roles. Same with Aurics and Irondrakes. I guess a good summary is that Fyreslayers are more offensively minded while Dispossessed and defensively minded.

I think that I have no idea which ones I like more. Would it be an awful idea to run Grand Alliance:Order and mix the factions? Maybe a couple gyrobombers too?

#8 AlmGandix3

AlmGandix3

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 01:12 AM

If you intend to use an army with a point cap of 1000 i would stick with the dispossessed allegiance, because u can use a runelord with pickaxe and some quarrelers (i killed a lord of change in one turn with the combo). But if you intend to go higher points wise check out the hurricanum and if you still want teleporting masses of dwarfs take some fyreslayers.

#9 RaritanAnon

RaritanAnon

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 02:22 AM

It's more of a 'to start a list and grow later' rather than a cap. But I'd rather have decent options at all, you know.

I am leaning more towards just Dorfs and doing Fyreslayers for Allies or something. Having an entire army of Fyreslayers seems rather garish. They'd be better as an accent piece rather than a bunch of naked dorfs. Though, yeah, they might not get much support. At least I have a lot of options for Allies and such. Fyreslayers seem more one-trick-pony with the 30 Vulkite spam.

But we'll see. I'm going to wait a bit and finish painting my 40k before I start up Sigmar properly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users