8 replies to this topic

#1 jouke1988

jouke1988

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 12:39 PM

Hello Fellow Dawi, This sunday I will go and smash some ratheads into eternity. The question is, which units will I use. We agreed on using a legendary lord, I only possess the Belegar model, so I'll probably use that one, I will need some help composing the rest of the list. I have any model available, except for the Gyrocopters. Any suggestions? It's going to be a 2000 point list.

#2 Lembocha

Lembocha

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 03:30 PM

Is your opponent using the 7th ed. army book or the one made for 8th by Warhammer Armies Project?

#3 Thoric

Thoric

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 08:23 PM

Hail, Dwarf-Brother!

In the 8th ed. there is not much room for tactics. It is pure butchery. Use big blocks of Hammerers and Warriors with great weapons. That's all. Don't forget to use a BSB with the Master Rune of Grungni, to protect your Dwarfs from the ratmen shooting and a Runesmith with a Rune of Spellbreaking, for the antimagic.

Edited by Thoric, 29 November 2017 - 08:26 PM.

#4 jouke1988

jouke1988

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 11:39 AM

I am doubting about this a lot. On one side I would like to kill him as soon as possible, a.k.a. use a lot of killer units. On the other side I expect him to use a Hell Pit which I would like to shoot into oblivion. Would you use Quarrellers/Thunderers or Warriors/Hammerers with artillery?

#5 Lord Alisk

Lord Alisk

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 08:28 PM

A lot depends on what sort of opponent you expect to face, really, and how friendly the game will be.

The lack of gyrocopters is a pity - they're absolutely invaluable against skaven.

Flame cannons are great against Skaven - flame templates & causing panic.

Otherwise, hammerers, hammerers, hammerers. I've had a lot of success with ambush lists against Skaven (so lots of vanguarding, rangers, miners, etc). Given that you've got hatred, the sheer amount of damage you can put out in combat is pretty horrendous - what a full block of hammerers (I've got over 50 painted up) can do do a unit of skaven is terrifying. Also, the amount of damage things like Warp Lightning cannons can do is frankly silly, so I'd advise closing quickly. Miners are really handy.

One thing I'd advise is either base your plan around artillery, and make sure you protect it against night runners and the like, or go full ambush. When I've tried half-way-house lists,  my artillery just got mobbed by skirmishers and/or zapped by skaven artillery.

But then the skaven player I used to play against a lot had a Clan Skyre army, so this probably isn't typical.

I've never actually played against a Hell Pit Abomination before, but I'd guess you'd want some flaming artillery to  deal with it / them. However, you could do a lot worse than runes of might and burning on thanes / lords in hammerers units which would mash them pretty effectively.  

A neat trick is a slayer character with 2 runes of fire. That means he gets a flaming breath attack which does D3 wounds a hit against monsters - it's pretty hilarious.

#6 jouke1988

jouke1988

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 01:56 PM

Ok, all things considered. I have made two lists, both having GW warriors/Longbeards and Hammerers in them. In one list I have added Joseph to the mix, to keep Belegar alive long enought to kill the Hell pit, the other list contains some artillery to deal with him. My opponent has been so kind to tell me he is using 110 core troops, which is most likely only clan rats and a unit of Stormvermin. He is also going to use Ikit Claw, which means that there is no bell. I will post our lists here on monday.

#7 jouke1988

jouke1988

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 08:25 PM

OK, so I ended up using this. I made two lists and my opponent rolled off between these. The list was:

Belegar Ironhammer, 

Halgrim Skalfsson, Runesmith, RoSpellbreaking*2, RoStone, RoShielding, shield

Bjorn Dalfsson, Thane, BSB, Shield, RoGrugni

Thane, GW, RoIron*3

25 Longbeards, FC, GW, RoStoicism 

10 Thunderers, Shields

23 Ironbreakers, FC, RoStoicism, RoSanctuary

Cannon, RoBurning, RoForging

Organ Gun, RoForging, RoAccuracy.

Both of my Thanes went into the Longbeard Unit, Belegar and Halgrim joined the Ironbreakers. My idea was to use both units to pepper up his large bricks. 

My opponent used this:

Ikit Claw

Chieftain, BSB, Tail weapon, Banner of the UnderEmpire

Warlock Engineer, Lvl 2, Warp Energy condenser, a magical weapon I can't remember

30 Clanrats, FC, Shields and Spears, Poisoned Wind Mortar

30 Clanrats, FC, Shields and Spears, Poisoned Wind Mortar

50 Stormvermin, FC

10 Warplock Jezzails

10 Warplock Jezzails

Warp Lightning Canon

Warp Lightning Canon

Doomwheel

#8 Thoric

Thoric

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 10:15 PM

I am a bit surprised by your opponent list. He got only a unit of 50 models. Usually, when I watch other people play Skaven in the 8th, they always have a few of those units of cheap rats (50 models 5 wide 10 deep) so they are steadfast and lock your good units in combat for a very loooong time. The same happens with Gobbos.

#9 jouke1988

jouke1988

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 11:00 AM

I agree, I wouldn't take one brick either, however, he will take multiple small blocks or rank them up 5 wide next time. His ability to stay in combat is one of the things he has to work on. On the other hand, his list did challenge me in this occasion, especially because of the two cannons.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users