6 replies to this topic

#1 Skull Krusher

Skull Krusher

Skazastoki

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,221 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 01:44 AM

Where I live and game it seems that KoW is dead or dying.  No one is playing at any of the gaming stores and people are using (converting or rebasing) their armies something else.

#2 jtrowell

jtrowell

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 128 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 07:47 AM

Well, as you said, it's mabe so in your place, other might see more activity.

Usually unless you can reach a certain threshold in the number of players, what game is played locally is often strongly influenced by a few very active players that organize events, even it the "events" are simply weekly games between friends or improvised games in a club, and it's often enough for one or two such players to become less involved in the game for various reason (sometimes they move to another town, or they get married/got children, or they simply found another game that now occupy most of their time even if they still love KoW)

If you have a strong enough community, then you have several such players and can renew them easily when this happen, but in smaller communities even one stopping playing (or paying less) can have a large impact.

The easiest solution is usually simply finding someone else  motivated and charismatic enough to fill the void, maybe try yourself to organise games with your friends ?

#3 jouke1988

jouke1988

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 10:30 AM

In my local store people play all systems. AoS, 9th Age, 8th and older. I myself tried a few games of KoW and I liked it. I am unable to join the club at this time but will so when christmas has passed.

#4 Killer Angel

Killer Angel

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 25 December 2017 - 02:18 PM

KoW got its niche, which may not be huge but it's well and good.

Btw: i have just knew that DWARFS won the global campaign "edge of the abyss"
...there is always room for more glory!

Edited by Killer Angel, 25 December 2017 - 02:19 PM.

#5 Montegue

Montegue

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,751 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 06:34 PM

I've been out of the loop for my last half of grad school, but our GT scene continues to thrive in the US. The Masters is coming up in February, Mantic continues to produce new (And really pretty nice looking) models, is on the way with a new 2018 Clash of Kings supplement, and is still a really great company. I'll be working up a new competitive list for after I graduate, and my beloved dwarf army should be completely painted sometime next summer. I'l be moving to an all-Mantic Basilean army thereafter, now that they're re-doing the plastics. I did the Vanguard kickstarter at full buy-in, and am excited to have a bunch of warbands from which to build new armies. 

Oathmark is coming, as well, and it might wind up proving to be real competition to KoW (better quality hard plastic models out of the gate). We'll see. 

#6 silashand

silashand

Living Ancestor

• Brewery Masters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,802 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 12:13 AM

From what I can tell, KoW seems to be going strong still. I don't have any insight into 9th Age as no one around here plays it. Age of Sigmar has somewhat of a presence, but it's not huge. No one where I am at has mentioned Oathmark and my own personal history with Osprey games is that they are decent, but not great. But we will wait and see. I could easily be wrong.

All that being said, the biggest threat to all those is likely going to be Star Wars: Legion. Pretty much everyone I've talked to plans on taking that up when it ships (I have Rebels pre-ordered :) ). Yes, it's not fantasy. But it's *Star Wars* and the brand recognition is insane. As long as FFG doesn't hork it up too badly I think it will almost immediately be picked up by a large number of gamers of all systems. JMO though.

#7 Pellegrim

Pellegrim

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 06 January 2018 - 01:25 PM

Adepticon kicked out The 9th Age this year. Cause no tied companies etc etc. Big hurt in the community. Who now hosts a tourny at the same dates, 5 minutes away from Adepticon, CornerhammerGT (LINK), which has 67 people on board currently. However, KoW is present at Adepticon. Multiple events actually. One 20 player event that 11 people on board, one 40 player event that has 16 people on board, and another 40 player event that no one signed up for. So 27 player down to the official events. Is that good? I dunno, doesn't seem to be smashing it. 

Edited by Pellegrim, 06 January 2018 - 01:26 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users