#1 Bugman

Bugman

Master Dwarf Brewer

• Brewery Masters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,614 posts
Contributor

Posted 28 July 2017 - 07:34 AM

Gav-Cuppa-Small-200x300.jpgThis is a compilation of questions that have been emailed and messaged to me recently.

If you want to ask anything, you can post a comment here or get in touch through the contact page (and newsletter subscribers can just reply to any of my emails).

I’ve been posting Q&As for a while now, so if you’ve found this one interesting, you can look back at previous Q&As here.

Thomas emailed some thoughts about Harlequins, along with this question: I was trying to flesh out my own Masque (called the Purple Rain, because stay classy) and was wondering how those players lived on a day to day basis.

My point is: is it completely mysterious and codified somewhere in the webway or do they just chill casually in a nice big house on some virgin planet?

I see them very much like the wandering troubadours of the middle ages, calling no place home but where they lay their heads. To this end I think they would either have their own ships or ‘work passage’ on the ships of other aeldari by giving performances. If they have any static spiritual home it would be the Black Library, but even that is probably an occasional, temporary sanctuary rather than a base of operations.

It is possible that some Masques might have a little corner of the off-webway to call their own, as you describe, but rather than a single Masque perhaps it would be more like a hunting lodge, shared between and used by passing bands as and when they are in the vicinity.

And Thomas also asked: Why do you answer people’s questions? Do you consider it some kind of customer service, the sole pleasure of chatting about the fluff, maybe another occasion to reflect on what you wrote by hearing someone’s opinion? Just curious.

One of the first things drilled into me when I joined Games Workshop was that if someone has taken the time to write to you, take the time to write back! It’s always good to see what people are thinking about, and sometimes to have my views on things challenged or probed.

The-Doom-of-Dragonback-by-Gav-Thorpe-BlaPaddy emailed: I’m just wondering if you have plans to write any more historical Dwarven books like Doom of Dragonback. It’s probably the best written Dwarven book and really captures the spirit of the Old World Dwarves 1f642.png

I would love to write more Old World dwarfs for Black Library but for the foreseeable future that isn’t going to happen. While BL haven’t ruled out returning to the World That Was, the focus is certainly staying on the Age of Sigmar for the time being.

Paddy then went on to say: I also loved the Elven trilogy [The Sundering], even though I bought the first one just until another Dwarven book arrived. Very much reminded me of the Peloponnesian wars.

The Sundering (and high elves in general) draws quite heavily on classical history and culture, so the Peloponnesian War was definitely a touchstone for how the different states, princes and factions interacted. The rivalry between Caledor and Nagarythe can be couched in similar terms to that between Athens and Sparta, with the lesser states forced to choose sides.

Stahly from the Tale of Painters site (see here and here) emailed to talk about Eldar, among which was this question: How do you feel about the journeys of Yvanna and Yriel. Are they pretty much over or is there still something to come for them?

The best answer I can give you is that I have an aeldari novel coming out later in the year entitled ‘Ghost Warrior‘, book one of my series Rise of the Ynnari. You can probably guess who one of the feature characters is. As for Yriel, since a lot of his story has been covered for the moment I haven’t included him in my plans for the time being, but I see his arc in the same way as a lot of 40K material, a hanging thread for a developer or writer to follow at some point in the future.

Nick commented on my Eldar Q&A Part 3 blog post: Given the information in 2nd edition the terms “Phoenix Lord” and “Asurya”, are slightly different. On Page 11, the description of a Phoenix Lord is basically an Exarch that has no home, potentially not even a shrine any more. While on Page 82 in Asurmen’s description, the title of Asurya is applied to the first Exarch of an aspect. They are also known as the children of Asur.

So technically Karandras would be a Phoenix Lord but not an Asurya, might be something you could delve into Gav?

By my understanding of the lore Karandras took over as Asurya when Ahrha fell, as he was part of the group before the betrayal. It’s not set but I get a bit of an Obi Wan and Anakin vibe with Arhra and Karandras, that maybe Ahrha recruited too early. Except he was the one corrupted by it, not the apprentice. We’ll see…

Lorgar-by-Gav-Thorpe-GENERAL-RELEASE-BlaDave commented on my Lorgar Author’s Notes: Really enjoyed reading the notes, it’s interesting to see where inspiration for different elements of the story came from. I guess building up the readers’ empathy and liking of Lorgar would help the tragic nature of the story that came later. Also interesting that you turned down Horus! I would have loved to see what you did with that one.

I’m still in two minds whether that was a smart move or not. With Lorgar I instantly had a story I wanted to tell. With Horus I would have had to go away and think a lot harder.

Nicholas asked on Facebook, also in response to my Lorgar Author’s Notes: So, you’re saying that nobody’s snatched up the Raven yet?

They may have by now – my last conversation about it with the editors was nearly a year ago.

Paul commented on my Lorgar blog post: Good luck with this one Gav. I’ve really enjoyed the Primarch series so far but the battles of faith pre-Imperial Cult is something that really fascinates me. I like the way you tackle religion, with a lot of ‘the mystery and pull of faith’, over ‘flying warp Angels answering prayers’ – so I think this is going to be my favourite.

I’ve always tried to keep faith as faith, rather than proven. As in, there are daemons and the warp and whatnot, but I shy away form any large warp entity (including the Emperor…) being consciously involved in what’s happening to the mortals. So much of it is just little fleshbags telling each other stories to make sense of the nightmares.

Ghost-Warrior-by-Gav-Thorpe-Black-LibrarJohn asked on Facebook (following my cover reveal for Ghost Warrior): Gav, how do you pronounce Gyrinx (which autocorrect wants to call Gurkin’s!)?

Hard ‘g’* – eer- rinks.
*(as in ‘get’)

Might be different in the Eye of Night audio

Erik asked: Can I jump into this book [Ghost Warrior] by itself or are there some must reads before this one?

It works alone, but follows directly from my audio Hand Of Darkness.

Dale also commented on my Ghost Warrior Facebook post: Enquiring minds must know: what is the Gyrinx called?

Mr Floofy. (Which is pronounced Alorynis)

To which Mike replied: I was hoping for flea-roy

[clap, clap, clap] Very funny Mike!

**To make sure you don’t miss out on any blog posts, you can keep up-to-date with everything Gav by signing up to my monthly newsletter. As a bonus, every other month I randomly pick a newsletter subscriber to receive a free signed copy of one of my books.**

Please Feel Free to Share:facebook.pngtwitter.pnggoogle_plus.pngreddit.pngpinterest.pngtumblr.pngmail.png

View the full article

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users