2 replies to this topic

#1 Thuradin

Thuradin

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 04:10 PM

Good day Kinsmen,

I've become enamored with the Kharadron Overlords and I've started writing some fluff as background for my own Skyport. I've come to a minor issue as to the crew composition of their ships.

Now as a serving member of the Navy I've been flooded with mostly useless facts about naval vessels. With that I know most frigates throughout the ages have crews from ~100-250 sailors. The new models and artwork don't support the idea of a crew anywhere near that size. So I looked at the basic functions that would need to be maintained and compared it to practices of similar ships.

I.E. The Frigate has three weapons, therefor it would need at least 3 gunners, likely an officer in charge of those gunners and possibly 1-3 “loaders”.

With that I cobbled together a crew number of roughly 24 members, not including the Arkanaut Company that may or may not be stationed aboard her.

I know the fluff is my own to do with as I wish but I really want to know how those numbers feel to the community here.

Cheers,

#2 Graydon Ironshield

Graydon Ironshield

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 01:05 AM

Well, consider the crews of the old 'landships' used in the First World War. The average tank, such as a British Mark-IV or a French St. Charmond carried a crew of eight, while the German A7V had crews of eighteen. Ostensibly they crewed them like small navy ships. Standardly crewed weapons in the game use three models as crew, figure in the frigate has three weapons, so yeah there's nine guys there, add a ship's captain, an XO, at least a couple midshipmen and a rating or two, plus a Chief of the Boat, a Purser, and at least a couple guys running the galley, as well as a Chief Engineer, plus guys to handle the ship's drives and the rigging, a Surgeon and a couple lob-lolly boys. I'm coming up with similar numbers myself here. Given their approximate size, one has to doubt these ships really have the legs for anything like a real long-distance voyage.

I used to read the old Alexander Kent and Horatio Hornblower books when I was a younger man.

#3 Thuradin

Thuradin

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 01:22 PM

I'm feeling that the miniatures are no where near to scale with what GW is intending their lore to be like (as with pretty much every vehicle they make for 40k) I think I'll go ahead and proceed with a crew of 20+ for my fluff.

Now should I get it all put together would I post it in the outlands or one of the other subforums?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users