14 replies to this topic

#1 King

King

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 97 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 03:09 PM

So I recently got back into Warhammer, and I'm so far looking at T9A to use as a ruleset for the games I am planning on forcing my friends to play with me. But while my games will be strictly casual, I like to be on top of the meta and would like to know if someone could give me a reasonably sized and detailed rundown of what the strongest/weakest units are in 1.3.5, what kinds of lists work best and so on, since I am nowhere near experienced enough to figure it out on my own. In case there is a thread/blog/whatever answering my question that I may have missed, I welcome you to send it to me.

Edited by King, 04 July 2017 - 04:00 PM.

#2 Shaun

Shaun

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 09:20 PM

King ... i dont play ninth Age and i dont think of or have Metas but as for a "standard army" ... take a powerful leader and some magic defense and base your army around powerful regiments of warriors ... also take some war machines for a ranged threat ... i suggest having fun planning and collecting your army...

#3 Falgrin

Falgrin

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 06:34 AM

You could take a look here and see what the ETC teams bring.  http://www.the-ninth...7-dh-armylists/

#4 Pellegrim

Pellegrim

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,838 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 10:20 PM

Most ETC list are swiss army knife lists with miners darts, copter darts, warrior darts and one big block of "pick your core unit", accompanied by dual cannons (always), and a king (mostly), or smith and anvil.

Mind you those are anti-list that have a team tournament purpose - though waaaaay less then in the old days, when it was corner hammer gunline for dwarfs at the ETc. Current lists are surprisingly mobile and fun to play, but require a high skill level to play right. If you want to play more casual I'd go for MMU and take at least one big block of Seekers (or smaller block with Dragon Seeker), for full forward pressure (the vanguard) and one other block with banner of Swiftness (vanguard).

#5 King

King

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 97 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 10:00 AM

Cool. So what about smaller point games?

#6 Pellegrim

Pellegrim

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,838 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 05:51 PM

Well ...... where to start ... :)

The 9th Age is more balanced then 8th Ed was, so it's now more about synergy and strategy then auto-picks. You can see this by looking at the (just published) ETC 2017 lists. Let's start with core. There are people using shield warriors for core, but also great weapon warriors, and graybeard with shields. There are some players just using core as 10-man darts, and there is a player who fields 25 crossbow dwarfs with great weapons as core.

Your core choice should influence your special choices, or vice versa. With Dwarfs, core still works best if you park a beefy character inside, one that has damage output potential. This can be a Thane with a Rune of firebreath, or a King that throws multiwound attacks. The heavier the character, the less heavy the unit needs to be to be scary. So a fully kitted killer King is fine in a block of 25+ shield warriors. If you go with great weapon warriors you'll need more bodies to remain steadfast - cause they'll die like flies. Shielded greybeards are an option to. Anyway, 25+ shield dwarf are a great anvil that not alot of opponents can break if you provide some assistance. The character is in there to make them regret to have ever charged the unit. Low point games can fit in a scare King on foot (300 - 400 points) in some shield warriors (possibly with spears. Remember any shield dwarf has a 5+ ward save the first turn he gets charge in the front (versus none special attacks).

Then you move over the special. Obviously you need some movement (copters, miners or vanguarding Seekers) to force your opponent to move; unless you go gunline and corner up. One cannon or organ gun never fails to be functional, but since Copter fire 4 S5 shots that hit at 4+ if you are within 9" range (and you can march and shoot 16"), so two copters already land 4 S5 hits per turn. Besides all that fun, a Vengeance Seeker never disappoints. 120 points for a gnarly mad dwarf that .... always hits first (only simultaneously versus impact hits due to i10) .. does 3D3 attacks .. S5 .. 3 wounds .. minus 1 to be hit in combat ... minus 1 to be hit shooting ... march 9" (like all dwarfs now) .. unbreakable ... hits back one more time when he dies ... you get the drill. And you might want complete the list by a damage output unit like Seekers, Kingguard or a Grudge Buster. Or additional shooting !!!!

My list last Bloodstorm tournament (2.000 points, used to be 1.000 old points)

Dragon Seeker with monster Seeker upgrade, to go in 10 skirmish vanguard Seekers
Thane with Dragon Breath and Iron (for a 2+ save) to join 24 shield warriors with vanguard banner
11 guild crafted handgunners with shields (core choice, they ignore long range penalty, always hitting on 4+)
Vengeance Seeker
Steam Copter
Ballista

This list did not really work, as the gunners were almost always left behind and could not assist in combat, so 340 points of waste. I optimalised the list and replaced them with 15 great weapon warriors with build in vanguard, I kicked out the ballista too and made the copter into a unit of two copter and gave them skirmish. Good luck shooting T5 copters with 6 wounds and skirmish!

Hope this helps somewhat

#7 King

King

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 97 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 10:48 PM

I can assure you, it does. I don't see you mentioning DW (still Ironbreakers to me, tbh, but copyright :(), but in the lists I see on the t9a forums, thay're decently popular. High point games only?

#8 Pellegrim

Pellegrim

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,838 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 05:46 AM

Yes mainly; if you go DW in low point games, your hammer unit must come from core, which is less optimal. But it is still possible.

#9 King

King

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 97 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 02:35 PM

Ok, so followup. (I hope you don't mind this constant interviewing) As for magic at 2000-3000 point games, I really want to field my runesmith (have the really nice looking new GW model), but find that even at 3000, the anvil-smith combo is a bit too expensive if you also want to field a BSB and King. So is a singe Runesmith enough magic, or does everything he does get dispelled? Or should I skip the King and go for a RS general?

#10 Pellegrim

Pellegrim

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,838 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 04:52 PM

I think you got the notion of DH pretty well. And on smiths, It's a matter of taste - a King is simple, he holds his own versus anything. Using a smith instead requires more skill - those lists usually play copters, vangeance seekers and miners also, so basically high skill level play.
Check Polux list and Fnarrs lists over at the T9A website for examples. My experience is that lone smith does close to nothing. For low points you can combine a light king and smith, but you'd have to skip a bsb. Which is no problem, as Seekers don't require one, and the block that hosts your king and smith should be fine :-)

#11 Pellegrim

Pellegrim

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,838 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 06:46 PM

R u tinkering in Battlescribe yet?

#12 King

King

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 97 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 09:06 PM

Yea, but I cant lug my computer around, and can't get the ropositories for t9a to work on my phone, so only when I get the chance. Otherwise a simple piece of paper is working well!
Edit: Also, since I have the beautiful creepy bsb (that I believe maybe Montegue has as a profile pic) there's no way I'm skippin' the BSB.

Edited by King, 08 July 2017 - 09:12 PM.

#13 Pellegrim

Pellegrim

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,838 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 09:39 PM

Lol yes sometimes you just have to use your beloved models - have fun!

#14 Bugman

Bugman

Master Dwarf Brewer

• Brewery Masters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,577 posts
Contributor

Posted 08 July 2017 - 10:10 PM

As Pellegrim says, 8th is great but it appears the meta varies via county, the USA meta for instance focuses on huge blocks whilst the Italians spam seekers until the cows come home!

Enjoy the T9A and any questions please ask!

#15 King

King

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 97 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 10:31 PM

Many thanks!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 1.3.5, dwarven holds

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users