#1 Bugman

Bugman

Master Dwarf Brewer

• Brewery Masters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,587 posts
Contributor

Posted 17 June 2017 - 08:15 PM

I’ve said several times in interviews that joining Games Workshop turned my hobby into my job. I’ve always loved Warhammer and 40K but when I parted from GW nine years ago I needed to create some separation. I went from being at the heart of the development of these games to an outsider looking in like everybody else, and to be honest I’ve never been much of an off-the-shelf sort of gamer.

So, I haven’t played 40K in nine years (I played a bit of Warhammer before 8th edition, and used LOTR for some small historical games for a couple more years). I’ve kept in touch with the background, for obvious reasons, and followed the miniatures releases with interest but I became a Lapsed GW Hobbyist. I found other games – boards games and card games mostly but also keeping my toe in the water with miniatures gaming.

Gav-with-Betrayal-at-Calth-225x300.jpegAnd it was board games that lured me in, much like the generation of fans that got swayed to the Grimdark side by Heroquest and Space Crusade. It started with Betrayal at Calth. Having been involved with the Black Library side of things – the ‘Mark of Calth’ narrative – with my audio Honour to the Dead I was aware of the game and what was being planned, but it was actually not until a couple of months after release that I picked it up. I had been in GW Derby, and left with a few paints, but the thought of it nagged at me and, after a bit of shopping, I went back and bought it.

Slippery Slope

Gorechosen was next, when I was in the Scarborough store for a signing. And now I couldn’t go to a meeting with a Black Library editor in Bugman’s without first passing through Warhammer World… Each trip wore away my reservations a little more. Warhammer Quest: Silver Tower followed after a demo game during another signing at Derby, and my fate was almost sealed.

White-Dwarf-and-CBeebies-Magazine-230x17

My two current magazine subscriptions

My reintroduction began in earnest with the relaunch of White Dwarf magazine. The chat around the magazine sounded promising and knowing some of the people involved I showed a little faith and opted for a 12 months pre-order subscription. I haven’t been disappointed. Each month my attachment to the hobby and gaming side of Warhammer and Warhammer 40,000 has grown again. Credit also to the wider community, on social media in particular, who continue to create and share an constant stream of so much inspirational stuff.

And the models… Oh my. I saw advanced pictures of the new Sylvaneth range for Age of Sigmar when I wrote Wrathspring and I knew that things were really stepping up a gear in terms of design. With the introduction of Adeptus Mechanicus and the return to Genestealer Cults I was bitten by the nostalgia bug like so many others.

Strike-Force-e1497729734141-230x208.jpg

And then it was the fault of Dave, a new gaming friendship made when I did an interview for Four Dads of the Apocalypse website. My Betrayal at Calth models actually got a couple of run-outs. Then it was a game of the Horus Heresy strike force rules. And that segued into me picking up a copy of the Shadow War: Armageddon book and the Harlequins plastics…

Harlequins-Assemble-230x219.jpg

Taking the Plunge

So here I am on 40K release day, and the postie hasn’t arrived with my parcel, so I’m filling my time writing this blog. I ummed and aahed about just getting the rulebook, but I figure if I’m going to do this, I might as well do it properly, Primaris Marines and all.

And in that spirit, I’m going to paint them as a homebrew Chapter. I don’t know who, or what, or anything yet, and that’s really the point. I’m still not an off-the-shelf kinda gamer and the new 40K seems set to be more accessible and mutable than any edition since Rogue Trader. Perhaps I can recapture some of that excitement that first attracted me thirty years ago.

I’ll be taking a look at the exciting background developments in the near future.

Dark-Imperium-pic.jpg

So have you taken the plunge with the new edition?

**To make sure you don’t miss out on any blog posts, you can keep up-to-date with everything Gav by signing up to my monthly newsletter. As a bonus, every other month I randomly pick a newsletter subscriber to receive a free signed copy of one of my books.**

Please Feel Free to Share:facebook.pngtwitter.pnggoogle_plus.pngreddit.pngpinterest.pngtumblr.pngmail.png

View the full article

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users