14 replies to this topic

#1 Killer Angel

Killer Angel

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 07:32 PM

Since I like to do BatReps, I figure having one thread is better than flooding this subforum with a bunch of posts. So here we go.

PREMISE TO THE 1ST BATREP

In our gaming group, among the newbies, there's a guy that wanted to start play AoS.
He already played some games, however he was lacking an army and he was short of money (you know, students...).

He was interested in a bunch of armies, but dwarfs would have been his first choice.

Luckily for him, I've got many dwarves and i sold him (for a very reasonable price) a certain amount of them (some old GW, but mostly mantic... i wanted to renew my collection).

I gave him these units (slightly more than 2000 pts):

1 Warden King
1 Ungrim Slayer King
1 Dwarf Lord w shieldbearers
1 Engineer
1 Runelord
20 x Dwarfs warriors
10 x Longbeards
20 x Hammerers
5 x Slayers
30 x Thunderers
2 x Cannon

Basically, I gave him a well-rounded army, with good CC, some decent shooting and a nice Rune magic / unbind. Playing at 1500, he will also have the possibility to do different lists, playing with the longbeards to use more command abilities from heroes.

Now, he obviously wanted to play its brand new army...
So, I met him with Seraphons... yeah, I know it's weird, but my first BatRep will be against dwarfs.

Seraphon Vs Dwarfs_New Gettysburg!

SET-UP

I wanted to give some fun to the guy.

Expecting a heavy shooting list, I prepare a list with no shooting and no teleport, basically I imagined a melee army, advancing under heavy fire toward the enemy's line. Gettysburg! Pickett's charge!

we played both with 1540 pts.

The battlefield was prepared with this idea: the dwarfs' army on Cemetery ridge, with the culp of trees at the center, and me advancing through the cornfields, the fences and the hedges.

I have (from left to rigth):

5 Sisters of the thorn
1 starpriest
20 x saurus guards
1 Sunblood
1 Eternity warden
5 x saurus guards
6 x kroxigor
1 starpriest

O7funLO.jpg

Detail of the dwarf army (from left to right)

20 x thunderers (into the culp of trees)
10 x warriors
1 x engineer (Grimm burlokkson)
1 x cannon
1 x hero proxied as Belegar Ironhammer (behind the warriors)
1 x Dwarf lord w shieldbearer
1 x runelord
10 x longbeards
20 x hammerers

Rk7tBkJ.jpg

Just one cannon... but with 2 heroes and the hammerers, there wasn't much room for many warmachines.

BATTLE REPORT

first round:
i go first, and i move forward with all, simple and brutal, the only thing I do is to keep my Sisters out of his shooting range, putting my skink priests behind the house and a stonewall.
I give Shield of thorn to the 20 guards and Starlight to the kroxies, failing to mystic shield 'em.

k8Hr2XS.jpg

Dwarfs shooting obliterates the Group of 5 guards and kills 2 kroxy

Second round:
in my turn, i cast mystic shield on the 20 guards (failing the shield of thorn) and starlight on the kroxigors, that charge the longbeards, annihilating them (so no more additional command ability from his dwarf lord); the pile in from the hammerers, leaves me with 2 kroxy

1OQsGx9.jpg

Dwarf turn.
his cannon kill 3 sisters, the 20 thunderers tickle my guards, his hammerers (backed by the runelord and the Lord) unleash their fury upon the remaining kroxies... after hammerers' routine, my kroxy with the moonhammer still stands, with 1 w remaining!!!

HhNrUf2.jpg

needless to say, before the killing blow from the Lord on shield, my kroxy delivers an impressive amount of attacks with his moonhammer, taking down 10 hammerers!
Will this be a turning point?

B9vpqbx.jpg

Third round:

Dwarfs go first. The cannon finishes the sisters, the thunderers manage to kill just one guard (that save on 2+), that are also charged by the lord on shield and by Belegar (which goes on the warden).
the warden suffers 6 wounds on 7, and another guard is killed. The remaining hammerers close in.

mEfg4Tp.jpg

I counterattack, killing all the warriors and Belegar

In my round, i finish the Lord on shield i was still stuck with in melee.

Fourth round:

My guards are buffed with mystic shield, but the runelord unbinds the starlight.
I succesfully charge (12"!) the hammerers and the runelord...
2kykpl2.jpg

...wiping them out
57Pr2hr.jpg

in Dwarfs' turn, Grimm fails in killing the Warden, so the thunderers concentrate fire on it. goodbye, Chakax.
The cannon shoots the guards at point blank, killing 8 of them!
kx9C3ot.jpg

Fifth round:

dwarfs win the roll! with some luck, they could stop the scaly tide...
the thunderers kill 2 guards, but the cannon, after 8 successful shots, misses.

With the 8 remaining guards, backed by the Sunblood and by the starpriests' spells, I charge both the cannon and the thunderers. End of the story.

AFTERMATH

I have mixed feelings on this.
From a certain pov, I'm happy that i won, but from another one I would have liked a defeat: i know how frustrating can be to lose when you're a beginner... a victory would be a confidence boost.

Yeah, my opponent did some mistakes: the runelord was always too distant from the thunderers, and a shooting from 20 dwarfs with rend -2 would have been devastating for my guards, while the constant shooting at rend -1 was not scary at all.
Or he should have directed the shooting from thunderers upon my sisters, thus using the cannon on the guards since turn 2.

In the end, he was not totally unsatisfied... yeah, he was not happy of my immortal guards with mystic shield and save at 2+ (and luckily there weren't the sisters with shield of thorns!), but all in all he basically decimated my army, and he rightfully said that mine was a phyrric victory.

However, i feel that he needs to win a battle, so I must think to an army that seems strong on paper, but that can be defeated by those dwarfs...

And this will be the next BatRep!

Edited by Killer Angel, 01 July 2017 - 10:20 AM.

#2 Zidane_blade

Zidane_blade

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,233 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 07:57 PM

Awesome batrep! Been awhile since i've read one with pictures. Nice.

How did you get your guards to be a 2 up?

Pile-in can quickly become a disadvantage, if you move too close to other units 😄

#3 Killer Angel

Killer Angel

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 08:31 PM

Awesome batrep! Been awhile since i've read one with pictures. Nice.

How did you get your guards to be a 2 up?

Glad you liked it! Actually, my BatReps are with pictures... they tend to be clearer and make easier to follow the flow of the game, as I've noticed that it's hard to imagine the battle without pictures or schemes.

Guards are tough guys. They start at a save 4+ and are immune to rend -1 (you need at least a -2); when they are near a Seraphon Hero, they gain a further +1 save (they are "sworn guardians"), and at that point if you cast mystic shield they go easily at 2+.

There is a battalion (Eternal Starhost) that gives them a 2+ save even without the need of mystic shield!

The downside is that they are costly (5 guards are 100 pts) and thus are highly vulnerable to mortal wounds.

I think to them as a mixed version of our Ironbreakers/Hammerers.

Edited by Killer Angel, 11 June 2017 - 08:32 PM.

#4 Zidane_blade

Zidane_blade

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,233 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 08:59 PM

Ahh, ha yeah, didnt notice the last sentence of the guardian ability 😄

Cant remember the point cost, but im also very fond of the Bastiladon. Mystic shield that, and even the bloodthirster will only claim wounds from it on a 2 up 😄

The batrep you displayed were easy to follow. Did it not impact the game, or do you om purpose leave out any battleshock effect?
I have been trying out mystic terrain in different stages when trying to learn new players the game. Some dont care for it, while others think they give you a more complex game.

What are your thoughts on terrain and newcomers?

#5 Killer Angel

Killer Angel

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 09:26 PM

Ahh, ha yeah, didnt notice the last sentence of the guardian ability 😄

Cant remember the point cost, but im also very fond of the Bastiladon. Mystic shield that, and even the bloodthirster will only claim wounds from it on a 2 up 😄

The batrep you displayed were easy to follow. Did it not impact the game, or do you om purpose leave out any battleshock effect?
I have been trying out mystic terrain in different stages when trying to learn new players the game. Some dont care for it, while others think they give you a more complex game.

What are your thoughts on terrain and newcomers?

A bastiladon is 300 pts. save 3+ and suffers no rend. Got a truly strong ranged weapon (searing beams FTW) and got a save 4+ on mortal wounds: if you combine all, you'll end with one of the best tank unit in AoS (if we don't consider broken things as the Mourngul...).

Only 8 wounds, so it's not unkillable... but nasty lists tend to have a couple of them, and an Empire Jade Mage to heal any wounds they take. B)

It becomes absolutely scary whan you have also a skink priest with celestial rites, and you risk to have the bastiladon with re-rollable saves, but it's "only" a 50% of it happening.

However, a bastiladon in a thunderquake starhost is an absolute beast, because it will re-roll saves and will heal each round, full stop.

Battleshock: when the hammerers losed 10 of them, I simply forgot to force the test. I remembered it lately, when the cannon blasted away 8 guards... but guards nearby a hero gain a 2+ to bravery, so they have 12, and i rolled a 3.

Regarding terrains... they are fun and interesting, and are appreciated after a while, but i still have to see a newbie that likes them. Even if AoS is simpler than WHFB, when you're learing a system you have enough to do even without further complications. I left the decision to my friend, and he opted to use them just for the cover effect.

#6 Killer Angel

Killer Angel

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 09:01 AM

This is the promised sequel to the first battle "Seraphon vs Dwarfs".

After that battle, my friend with dwarfs played against someone else in our gaming group. Specifically, he fought Flesh Eater Court, and he was tabled hard. And by hard i mean that in the end he just killed 3 models, being wiped out.

With this premise, we played the 2nd game of:

SERAPHON (skinks) vs DWARFS. 1500 pts.

As said previously, i decided to play an army that would favor the natural dwarfs' resiliency. Skinks.

We rolled the first scenario form the general's handbook, the ones with just one objective on each side of the battlefield (the big dices in the pictures), and you must conquer the enemy's objective in five turns, putting some of your models within 6", but with no enemy's models nearby. The perfect scenario for a defending army, which was cool, since he's slow and desn't have anything that can move to take objectives.

Set-Up:

SERAPHON (from left to right)
40 x skinks
1 x Stegadon
1 x skink chief
1 x skink starpriest
3 x Razordons (sallies models)
20 x skinks
6 x kroxygor

DWARFS (from left to right):
20 x warriors
30 x thunderers
1 x flame cannon
1 x cannon
1 x engineer
1 x runelord
1 x warden king
10 x longbeards

QAk03EN.jpg

First round.

Dwarfs cannot shoot, 'cause I'm out of range.
I move forward with all, exploiting the cover granted by the tower, and my bow from the stegadon kills a couple of dwarfs' warriors (the only models that will be killed by the bow in the entire game)

WXyFtgG.jpg

Second round

Dwarfs cannon kills one kroxy, the thunderers and the flame cannon blast away 10 skinks of my main Group (lose another couple for battleshock). Goodbye bonus for being more than 30...

the survived 28 skinks rush in the wooded hill on the left and shoot some thunderer, the stegadon advance but its shooting sucks, the right skinks enter the tower and shoot the thunderers but they're still more than 20 (re-rollable save and no rend from me help their defence!); the razordon move in safe postion and the kroxi cherge the longbeards, wiping them away.
Dwarfs are now worried by the pincer manoveur, I'm pressing their whole line of defence.

YF0dHZ2.jpg

Third round

I go first.
My entire right wing advances.  Skinks leave the tower and shoot the general, inflicting 1 wound, the razordons enter the tower and shoot the runelord (inflicting 4 wound), the kroxy charge the thunderers, killing 6 of them (other 2 run away).
On the left, the skinks in the woods kill just one warrior, and the stagadon fails the charge.

k4S3mlD.jpg

Dwarfs set the warriors on a defesive line, the cannon kills some of the right skinks, the thunderers, the flame cannon and the Lord concentrate on the kroxy, and only the moonhammer survives.

Y03nkHY.jpg

Fourth round

Dwarfs' shooting kills the last kroxy and inflicts 6 wounds to the stegadon; the lord charges the right skinks but with some luck by my part it kills just a few. They disengages
In my turn the left skinks diminish the warriors and the left ones fail to kill the runelord. The razordons kill the crew of the flame cannon, and the stegadon charges the warriors, but it's wounded and doesn't break through and receives another wound.

EuOUrZJ.jpg

Dwarfs are strenuously defending their objective... The last turn will be decisive, especially to see who will win the roll to go first!

fifth round!

Dwarfs win the roll.
the shooting kills the stegadon and decimates the right skinks; the survived warriors fall back in defence.

My left skinks advance and pincushion the cannon's crew; the engineer is killed by razordons' shooting and 3 warriors are killed by a missile from the starpriest.
the three remaining right skinks rush behind enemy's line and take the objective!
Razordons and handlers charge, inflicting further losses to the warriors and the thunderers...

iDcAEm7.jpg

...but two dwarfs models are still within 6" from their objective, and so I cannot claim it.

It's a tie!!!

Edited by Killer Angel, 02 July 2017 - 07:07 AM.

#7 Killer Angel

Killer Angel

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 09:05 AM

THE AFTERMATH

my friend was obviously satisfied, and I was happy too.
I picked an army that was competitive, but that was also a relatively "easy prey" for a dwarfs list as this one, that can play defensively and exploit all its racial advantages, as the wall of shields for re-rolling saves, and the good armor while I've got no rend.

Obviously, my list could have been far worse (just 3 sallies instead of 3 razordons would have been enough), and even so, I cold have concentrated the fire on one unit each time, or I could have killed the warmachines' crews 1 or 2 turns before. But that wasn't my objective.

I wanted to give a real fun match to the guy, so... mission accomplished! clear.png :lol:

Waiting for your comments on the battle, I'll anticipate that my next BatRep will be with me playing dwarfs.

Edited by Killer Angel, 17 June 2017 - 09:08 AM.

#8 Zidane_blade

Zidane_blade

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,233 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 05:33 AM

Nice report 👍 Very easy go follow.

I also remember when introducing new players to the game. You make decisions which deliberately doesnt exploit any mistakes they make.
But in all honesty, I always play to win, so if I my opponent wins, even in these kinds of games, within me I get a little sour 😄😄

But its lovely to see a skink army putting some hurt to it. Have you thought of ripperdactyles and teradon riders instead of the kroxies, for a complete skink army? Granted, your kroxies are the main damage, but ripperdactyles put out some decent hurting as well.

Just as a heads up, the dwarf save reroll from the shieldwall, only works in the combat phase. If it only were used in that phase, my apologies, it just seems like its used in the shooting phase too.

But awesome batrep! Would love to see more

#9 Killer Angel

Killer Angel

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 08:55 AM

Nice report 👍 Very easy go follow.

thanks!

I know that, at least for me, it's hard to follow BatReps with only descriptiive text. Even when writing is done right, an image tells much more and gives the right immersion to readers. It takes more time, but it's worth it.

I also remember when introducing new players to the game. You make decisions which deliberately doesnt exploit any mistakes they make.
But in all honesty, I always play to win, so if I my opponent wins, even in these kinds of games, within me I get a little sour 😄😄

I'm competitive too.

In the end, I really tried to win with the final charge, but in this battle i managed to keep low my level of agonism.

But its lovely to see a skink army putting some hurt to it. Have you thought of ripperdactyles and teradon riders instead of the kroxies, for a complete skink army? Granted, your kroxies are the main damage, but ripperdactyles put out some decent hurting as well.

Yeah, skinks can do something nice, but they need some efforts, and a wise use of formations and tactical movement.

Usually i don't use kroxygors, but for this battle they were nice (and indeed, the moonhammer is devastating agains models with such a small base as dwarfs).

RIppers were pretty much an auto-include in my lizard armies, and 90% with the shadowstrike starhost. THey were literally hated within my gaming group, but I've played them too much, and after the nerf they took with the Rule of One, i use them only rarely.

On Lustria online I wrote some tactica tips on skinks army, the use of rippers and also terradons.

Just as a heads up, the dwarf save reroll from the shieldwall, only works in the combat phase. If it only were used in that phase, my apologies, it just seems like its used in the shooting phase too.

You're obviously right, that was my fault, and I take the blame for it.

Lately I've played many games with Tomb Kings, and their shield works in weird ways from unit to unit.

Sk horsemen's shield gives +1 only in the combat phase, Sk warriors gain a +1 in all phases but only against no rend, Tomb guards ones work as dwarfs' shield wall (BUT in all phases).

So i misremembered and my mind mixed things, and without checking the warscrolls i let the dwarfs apply the re-roll bonus in all phases.

oh, well.

Edited by Killer Angel, 18 June 2017 - 08:55 AM.

#10 Zidane_blade

Zidane_blade

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,233 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 11:51 AM

If you could boost the ripperdactyl damage output (rend or damage increase), that would make them really tasty.

But I think its in the scenario, that they attack a unit with the toad nearby, and get a HUGE load of extra attacks, that made them ease down on that ability.
Though, three models still have the possibility of producing 31 attacks, even with the rule of one.

It can be a bit time consuming to keep track of the different rules on the various warscrolls, but IMO its no different than any other game. While you learn, its about remembering, but once it sticks you usually dont have to skip through the warscrolls again.

Edited by Zidane_blade, 18 June 2017 - 11:52 AM.

#11 Killer Angel

Killer Angel

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 09:44 AM

As promised, I'm back again with a new BatRep, and this time I'm fielding my own dwarfs!

some players did not present, so at the store we were in three... not a great number, especially when 2 out of 3 were with dwarfs...

So, we decided that the dwarfs would have formed an Allegiance: the quick backstory is that we are 2 Clans, ruling the Karak of the Silver Dragon's Fangs.
The Fangs are two mountain peaks, divided by a deep chasms and connected by just a Stone bridge and an underground passage.
My Clan lives in the Eastern Peak, my friend's in the Western Peak.

Our enemy is Skaven (Pestilence and mixed clans). Grugni knows we have many grudges against that furry scum...

With this premise:

DWARF allegiance vs SKAVEN. 1740 pts.

We rolled the "gift from heavens" scenario, the ones with the comets landing on the second turn.

Lists:

Mine Eastern Clan: (800 pts)
Runelord
2 x 10 warriors
30 x thunderers
2 x Gyrocopter
allied Western Clan: (940 pts)
Warden King (general)
1 x 10 warriors
1 x 5 vulkite berzerk
1 x Runelord
1 x Engineer
2 x Organ gun
20 x thunderers

Skaven (Pestilence) - 1000 pts
Verminlord corruptor
Plague Furnace
Plagueclaw
Plague priest
2 x 20 Plague Monks
Skaven (other) - 740 pts
Packmaster w 2 rat ogors
2 x poisoned wind mortars
Warlock engineer
2 x 20 Clanrats
Skaven Warlord

Set-Up:

Dwarfs' left flank:
a small detachment of my Eastern clan: Gyrocopter (w brimstone gun) and 10 warriors
Dwarfs' left-center:
the whole western clan

tza1bFt.jpg

Dwarfs right flank:
the main portion of my Eastern Clan: Gyrocopter (w steam gun), 10 warriors, 30 thunderers and the Runelord (hidden in the picture)

nILLoB6.jpg

SKAVEN:

from bottom to top:

Engineer
20 plague monks
packmaster + rat ogors
Plague furnace
priest
2 x poisoned mortars
plagueclaw (half hidden behind a building)
20 clanrats
Verminlord corruptor
Warlord
20 Clanrats
20 Plague monks

lCD67r4.jpg

The first turn goes to Skaven.

their artillery (plague claw and mortars) shoots farther than ours, and we will suffer no less than 2 turns of full fire before we can do something effectual.
The lads stand bravely their ground, but in their mind, come alive the horror stories of seasoned veterans, dying while vomiting their own entrails, due to the cursed poisoned vapors of those wretched critters.
Will our lines stand still strong, when the shadow of the VerminLord Corruptor will reach us?
The far screeches from the Skaven lines, tell us that they are going to rain hell upon us.

It has begun...

(next to come: the BatRep!)

Edited by Killer Angel, 02 July 2017 - 07:16 AM.

#12 Zidane_blade

Zidane_blade

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,233 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 12:08 PM

Leave none alive! 💪💪💪

#13 Killer Angel

Killer Angel

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 09:50 AM

Here we go.

First Round

Skaven's turn

The furnace's ability and other goodies in the hero phase take the plagueclaw to a 3+/3+ rerollable. Its target is an organ gun... but the "to wound" rolls are 2 and 1.

The mortars' crew eat some warpstone to increase their range up to 30", but when they shoot, one misses. Only a mortar hits, with a -2 rend... the organ gun needs a 6 to save. SIX!

Some Young warrior cannot contain himself... "Valaya is with us!", but indeed we were all thinking the same.

The grey infantry begins its advance, but the Verminlord stays in the back.

Dwarfs turn.

My friend's general uses inspiring presence on my thunderers, but the action involves the left wing.

My left copter moves forward, and I also advance my troops on the right.

The organ guns of the western Clan rain Death upon the rat ogors, and send them to the hellpit they belong to.

The brimstone gun of my left copter inflicts one wound to the warlock engineer (that will run for cover, as the coward it is).

Only the packmaster remains, as last survivor of the vanguard on our left. If they wanted to taste our defences, now they know.

7YgkBVD.jpg

Second Round

Skaven win the roll

Their comet lands between the troops that are in front of our right flank, the one under my personal responsability.

the usual display of abilities in the hero phase, and we wait for their shooting.

The Plagueclaw misses again. AH!

one of the mortar's crew eats too much warpstone for d3 dam., they roll a 3 and kill themselves. Stupid skaven...

the other one manages to land a successful hit on the 20 thunderers in the middle. 6 dead, and another one flee.

We pity the poor lads, but the loss of seven dwarfs after 2 turns of shooting is far from bad.

Skaven moves again forward, but they don't even run, and the corruptor doens't support them with its presence.

Dwarfs turn.

lots of pictures here.

the comet lands on our left flank. the warriors of my Eastern Clan seize it!

KZd6Lfh.jpg

on the left flank, the concentrated fire of one organ gun and the gyrocopter, shred to pieces the plague monks. Only one doesn't flee.

The other Organ gun. devastates the last mortar.

rGgFsdA.jpg

On our right flank, I decide that the Eastern Clan will meet the still numerous skaven, without waiting for them.

I advance with all, with my warriors marching forward, to support the copter!

this is after movement, and before shooting...

4ljK9N4.jpg

my 30 thundeers, wipe away one of the unit of 20 clanrats, and the steamgun of the copter, inflicts some nice casualties on the second unit of clanrats.

pictur after shooting:

qQlHOOT.jpg

Third Round.

Dwarfs win the roll.

"The day is ours, lads!"

On the right, I see the opportunity is golden.

The copter sees an opening within the units of clanrats and plaguerats, and flies in!

My warriors and my Thunderers move forward.

Picture taken after movement:

03l4usd.jpg

My warriors are ready to charge the clanrats, but the barrage of fire by my thunderes slays them all, negating the pleasure.

The steamgun of my gyrocopter hits 18 (!) plague monks, and kills 13 of them... the other one flee after battleshock!

the whole entirety of skaven troops has been wiped away by my deep strike, and I seize their comet!!!

B2REye3.jpg

Skaven turn.

The Verminlord corruptor sees no point in continue the fight, as he's alone with still all the heroes and the warmachines, but no more troops. And he cannot re-take its own comet, that's will shortly be under the shooting range of my 30 thunderers.

Skaven leave the field.

CRUSHING VICTORY for Dwarfs!!!

Edited by Killer Angel, 02 July 2017 - 07:35 AM.

#14 Killer Angel

Killer Angel

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 08:51 PM

Here we go with another battle!

We have another guy that is starting to play, and he's trying some armies.

I already gave him my seraphon to play with, giving some suggestions on how to play them. He tested them against orcs and was satisfied, and wanted to see what can do against me.

Perfect! I just wanted to test a new list for my dwarven army (deepstrike!)

With this premise:

DWARFS vs SERAPHON. around 1500 pts.

it's (once again) the "gift from heavens" scenario, the ones with the comets landing on the second turn

Lists:

Dwarfs (Deep Striker Army) - 1520 pts

Warden King (general)
Bugman
Engineer
10 x warriors
10 x warriors
10 x Longbeards
2 x bolt thrower
2 x gyrocopters (1 brimstone and 1 steamgun)
10 x miners
10 x miners
20 x quarrelers (bugman's rangers)

the list speaks by itself: 3 battlelines to give some presence pn the battlefield and protection to my 2 cheap warmachines; the wardenking is there to buff and enter CC if things go wrong; Bugman will cure the king and, most of all, lets me field the rangers.
With 2 copters, 2 units of miners and the quarrelers-rangers, I should threaten the whole battlefield.

Seraphon (shoooting monsters mash) - 1560 pts
 -
Slann (general)
10 x skinks
10 x skinks
3 x kroxigors
1 x Bastiladon
1 x Bastiladon
1 x Engine of the Gods
Battalion: thunderquake Starhost

for those of you that don't know:
bastiladon is a 300 pts behemoth that got 8 wounds, save 3+, doesn't suffer ANY rend, and got a ward save 4+ vs mortal wounds. Its shooting attack is 2d6 shots at 4+/3+/rend-1/2 dam each, range 20"
EotG is a stegadon that in the hero phase generates a semi-random magical effect, buffed by the Slann, that can do things as "1d6 mortal wounds to a unit within 25"
the battalion (that includes the kroxies) lets re-rolls failed to hit and saves, and let each unit heal d3 wound if within 10" from the Slann.

Basically, it's a monster block that advances (not so slowly), shoots at everything and heals.

Set-Up:

Dwarfs:
Gyrocopter w steamgun on my extreme left
10 warrior at the center, into the ruined house
10 longbeards + 10 warriors, The Warden king, Bugman, the bolt throwers w the engineer and the copter w the brimstone gun on my right
rangers and miners set aside

Seraphon
I thought my opponent would have placed it battalion right in front of my main army, to deal with it, keeping behind the fast skinks.
Instead we have:

Slann, kroxigors and the 3 dinosaurs on my left
2 skinks unit on my right (in the picture you can see at the corner a model of the second unit)

hN4ECku.jpg

Edited by Killer Angel, 01 August 2017 - 09:04 PM.

#15 Killer Angel

Killer Angel

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 09:03 PM

the battle begins, and I happily let the Seraphon take the first turn.

First Round

Seraphon's turn

Basically, nothing happens; with his main Group out of range, he keeps it there, waiting for the Landing of the comet in the second turn.

Dwarfs turn.

I move forward the brimcopter; the combined shooting of copter and bolt thrower reduces a unit of skinks to 3 models (that stand their ground, tnx to bravery 10)

Second Round.

Seraphon go first:

the comet lands near the dinos' Group (it's the white dice)

My opponent keeps his formation near the comet and starts moving the skinks toward my left.

Works for me, i would have used skins and kroxies to guard the rear since the beginning, moving the dinosaurs into firing position.

Dwarfs:

The comet lands on my center.

I start to shift my army from right toward the middle, and the copter follows the moving skinks. The 3-skinks unit is killed, and i inflict just one victim to the other unit of skinks.

hV56cPn.jpg

Third Round.

Seraphon again:

The survived skinks arrive near the main group.

My opponent start to understand that his dinos are not shooting and are not giving any contribute to the fight, so he moves them, but he keeps the EotG as advanced behemoth...

pLv1dk8.jpg

Dwarfs:

Enough with kidding!

I run forward with the steamcopter on my left, and pop up with a unit of miners (still unpainted) behind the enemy line.

tdbNch8.jpg

the brimcopter on the right and the bolt throwers concentrate their fire on the EotG. BT scores 2 "normal" hits and one with increased dam.

saves are failed, and i score... 12 damage! this would one-shot the EotG, but I remembered that (tnx to the formation) the behemoth can re-roll failed saves, and this leaves it still alive, with one wound.

4nVYOC6.jpg

My turn ends with the successful charge of the miners against the skinks, killing 4 of them.

On victory points, it's still a tie.

Fourth Round.

Seraphon would like to go first, to heal the engine, but this time I win the roll.

I pop bugman's rangers and move ahead the central group of warriors.

I need to concentrate almost all my firing power to inflict that single wound to the EotG and kill it.

The quarrelers take down 2 kroxies, and the miners finish the skinks.

wq1a1KG.jpg

Seraphon:

with shooting they manage to kill the brimstone copter and then a Bastiladon charges and finishes the brave miners.

On victory points, it's still a tie...

Fifth Round.

it's me again.

I pop the second unit of miners, the quarrelers march forward and the steamcopter flies behind the building

The shooting of the bolt throwers hits twice the Slann with increased damage. 2 failed saves for 2d6 dam, but I roll snake eyes.

Failed charge by the miners.

EPMMG8c.jpg

It's Seraphon's last turn.

the copter and the miners contend the objective. Basties don't have LOS on the copter, and the efforts of the dinos + Slann and of the last kroxy leave 6 quarrelers on the field (after battleshock), so I've got 2 units that don't let my opponent gaining points in the last round.

DWARFS' VICTORY!!!

Aftermath:

what can I say?

My opponent imo was too much shy and used in a suboptimal way his strong block of warbeasts.... but that said, I'm really happy of the performance of this list. I'm satisfied by a classic dwarven army with many options to strike everywhere, without the help of new entries as Kharadron Overlords!

I will certainly try it again against different opponents, to see how it performs.

Edited by Killer Angel, 01 August 2017 - 09:39 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users