• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 rye0006

rye0006

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 06:24 PM

I'm a teacher so am on half term this week, so I thought I'd take advantage and get to grips with the skirmish rules (and AoS generally as I don't really play that) by having a game against myself! (Yes, I am that cool!)

Ironweld Arsonal warband:
Cogsmith
Gyrobomber
36 renown

Dispossessed warband:
Runelord
Longbeard old guard
Longbeard musician
Irondrake ironwarden
Irondrake
Quarreller veteran
Quarreller
Hammerer keeper of the gate
36 renown

Turn 1: irondrake took 1 wound off​ the gyrobomber, but the cogsmith healed that before the gyrobomber took 2 wounds off the runelord.

Turn 2: cogsmith wounds the runelord, hammerer keeper of the gate charges into combat but fails to wounds the gyrobomber which bombs him as it retreats and kills him.

Turn 3: gyrobomber flies over the runelord whilst he's in combat with the cogsmith, drops a bomb and kills the runelord. Cogsmith shoots the longbeard musician dead from point blank range. The 2 quarrellers nearly flee the battlefield but hold firm thanks to the order alliance reroll. The irondrakes combine to take the gyrobomber down to only 1 wound. The longbeard old guard charges the cogsmith but is killed in the combat.

Turn 4: gyrobomber once again flees from combat with the irondrake, dropping a bomb on its way, killing the irondrake, positioning itself close to the cogsmith to hopefully be healed next turn. However the irondrake ironwarden brings it down with his torpedo. A long crossbow shot from the quarreller takes a wound off the cogsmith.

The irondrake ironwarden, quarreller veteran, and quarreller bearding decided to withdraw having lost over half their warband, yielding a major victory to the cogsmith as he set about collecting the broken parts from the gyrobomber to repair it before the next encounter in Shadespire.

The game is good fun, though bad dice rolls really do have a huge impact on the game. I kept rolling one under whatever I needed to wound. But the gyrobomber was a very cool addition as it's bombing ability is not a shooting attack so can work when it retreats.

#22 Thrang Thunderforge

Thrang Thunderforge

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 08:18 PM

Cool! The gyrobomber certainly caused a lot of havoc and the Cogsmith seems pretty good in combat too.

Please tell me the Cogsmith has a tiny radio-control modelled in his hands!!

I look forward to more micro-battle reports. :-)

#23 rye0006

rye0006

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 10:14 PM

Another couple of battles (with a friend this time) to try out different warbands and introduce him to the rules. Apologies for just how brief these are, but thought you might be interested in how things perform.

Battle 1 (tester), clash at dawn:
Runelord
Quarreller veteran
Thunderer veteran

Slaughterpriest
Bestigor
Gor

Slaughterpriest's prayer injures himself, the gor fails to wound the hammerer who then kills the bestigor. The slaughterpriest kills the quarreller. The runelord charges the gor, but the hammerer kills it. The thunderer shoots but fails to wound the slaughterpriest. The chaos warband break owing to the number of casualties, yielding a minor victory to the duardin.

Battle 2, clash at dawn:
Unforged
quarreller veteran
Thunderer veteran

Slaughterpriest
Bestigor
2 ungors

Quarreller veteran kills the bestigor. Unforged charges and kills the slaughterpriest. Ungors fail to charge the unforged. Unforged charges and kills an ungor, causing the chaos warband to break, yielding the duardin a major victory. The unforged earns a tactical insight, learning tenacious defense. The slaughterpriest earns a heroic renown.

Battle 3 (following on from battle 2), treasure hunter:
Unforged
Quarreller veteran
Thunderer veteran
Irondrake ironwarden
Longbeard old guard

Slaughterpriest
2 bestigor
Gor
4 ungor

Chaos advance and find 1 artefact. Duardin advance and find nothing. Duardin advance and find 1 artefact. The quarreller veteran shoots and kills a bestigor. Irondrake shoots his grudgehammer torpedo and takes 2 wounds off the slaughterpriest. Unforged charges and kills an ungor. Chaos advance and find another artefact. The slaughterpriest bloodboils the unforged, but only deals 1 wound. Slaughterpriest, bestigor, for, and 2 ungors charge the unforged. Slaughterpriest deals 2 wounds to the unforged. Unforged splits his attacks and kills 2 ungors and a gor. Chaos warband breaks yielding a major victory to the duardin. The unforged finds a healing elixir and the slaughterpriest earns more of a heroic saga.

#24 Old Orangaid

Old Orangaid

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 05:41 PM

Thanks for the battle reports. How long would you say it takes to learn the rules and play games of this size? Would like to try it with some friends, but after the epic set up and prep time of Xwing, they are sketchy on skirmish games.

#25 rye0006

rye0006

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 04:55 PM

Really quick to be fair. We don't play AoS and got through those 3 skirmish games in one evening.

#26 Graydon Ironshield

Graydon Ironshield

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 02:40 AM

My crew and I played three skirmish games the other night at our FLGS. We played a 50 Renown Point match, with my Dispossessed on one side, with two guys splitting between Skaven and Nurgle with the Treasure Hunt. Sadly, the storm won the match, as it wiped out both forces before we could get into the safe zone. The second match was a draw, while the third gained me an ally with each of us putting up 25 points (my Duardin and his High Elves) vs. Skaven and Nurgle. The elves got wiped, and my Duardin won because I had more Renown Points on the board than the forces of Chaos did.

I used as my 25 Renown Warband:

Runelord

Quarrellers (x2)

Warriors with GW + Shield (x2)

Slayer

So far, I like the Skirmish rules, as do my crew. Quick games, and the chance to create and use these tiny forces, without buying and painting up a huge army.

#27 Zidane_blade

Zidane_blade

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 04:30 AM

The possibility of getting started without having to paint a massive army, is a great way to not discourage new players!

Sound like a ton of fun! Did you play any scenarios?

#28 Killer Angel

Killer Angel

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 08:40 PM

Runelord

Quarrellers (x2)

Slayer

Skirmish is so good..

it brings memories of my beloved Treasure Hunters Warband in Mordheim.

A question: are you satisfied by quarrelers? playing armies, i field at least 20 so i have double shoot, but in skirmish you use single models, and a thunderer costs the same, got a better to wond and rend -1. I don't think the slightly superior range balances those aspects, and so I was planning to use thunderers.

Edited by Killer Angel, 13 June 2017 - 08:41 PM.

#29 rye0006

rye0006

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 10:01 AM

I don't have things to hand to check, but I think quarrellers are a bit better in combat than Thunderers. There is a lot of combat in skirmish games.

#30 Killer Angel

Killer Angel

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 11:15 AM

I don't have things to hand to check, but I think quarrellers are a bit better in combat than Thunderers. There is a lot of combat in skirmish games.

Just checked.

Yeah, thunderers have a 4+/5+ while quarrelers rely on a 4+/4+

#31 Graydon Ironshield

Graydon Ironshield

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 07:50 PM

Runelord

Quarrellers (x2)

Slayer

Skirmish is so good..

it brings memories of my beloved Treasure Hunters Warband in Mordheim.

A question: are you satisfied by quarrelers? playing armies, i field at least 20 so i have double shoot, but in skirmish you use single models, and a thunderer costs the same, got a better to wond and rend -1. I don't think the slightly superior range balances those aspects, and so I was planning to use thunderers.

The Quarrelers get help from the Runelord, so -1 Rend Crossbows with 4" better range than Thunderers, and then we add in those Ranger Axes. Those axes do yeoman's work in the inevitable melees. Having the trusty old Slayer in the mix is always a good bet, and he did very nicely in every fight, giving as good as he got, even if he didn't take somebody with him when he died.

As an aside, I remember my Treasure Hunters warband from Mordheim as well. It's funny, in our league back in the day, half my fights I got paired up against another player's High Elf warband, and it got to the point we knew each other's warband as well as our own, and we had some grand and epic scraps. As often as not, we would be the last ones playing out our scenario.

Zidane_blade

Posted 12 June 2017 - 12:30 AM

The possibility of getting started without having to paint a massive army, is a great way to not discourage new players!

Sound like a ton of fun! Did you play any scenarios?

We played the 'Seize the Relic' scenario, in which the storm wiped out both sides. It would seem many of the scenarios require getting somewhere specific on the board, which doesn't help armies with short legs. 

#32 rye0006

rye0006

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 02:57 PM

How would the Gyrocopter's steam gun work in a skirmish game?

Edited by rye0006, 19 June 2017 - 02:57 PM.

#33 Killer Angel

Killer Angel

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 05:36 PM

Steam gun works poorly.
You must select a target unit and in skirmish it means a single model. Brimstone gun is the way to go.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users