94 replies to this topic

#81 Shaun

Shaun

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 51 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 06:17 PM

I still cant ponder it through ... if the warhammer fantasy world supposedly fell to chaos and then according to GWs theory of sigmar shifting peoples to a new world ... surely he would have had to have come back to earth a.k.a (if this theory be true) the world of warhammer fantasy and have defeated chaos ... so as for Terra in 40,000 to come into being ... it surely is a hard thing to fathom... 😊 and why no space lizardmen 😊 or spaceskaven 😊

#82 Thrang Thunderforge

Thrang Thunderforge

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 06:28 PM

Games Workshop has always told us that the Olde World and 40k aren't the same.

And all the people Sigmar 'saved' were sort of killed and their spirits floated around in the void for a bit before condensing back into physical beings who were the same and not the same.

Apparently.

#83 Shaun

Shaun

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 51 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 06:31 PM

Ah Thrang, i see ... ah well i can stop pondering it then 😊 ... ive got to say though that the warhammer fantasy world has so much depth and character i cant fathom how players can have switched over to the newer competitors ... surely implimenting house rules to improve gameplay in the old setting would have been the obvious solution ... ah well - there are still plenty of warhammer fantasy players left for me to battle ...

#84 Hero of Rome

Hero of Rome

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 08:12 PM

Ah Thrang, i see ... ah well i can stop pondering it then 😊 ... ive got to say though that the warhammer fantasy world has so much depth and character i cant fathom how players can have switched over to the newer competitors ... surely implimenting house rules to improve gameplay in the old setting would have been the obvious solution ... ah well - there are still plenty of warhammer fantasy players left for me to battle ...

It can be argued that the majority of people who played 8e were competitive, so prefer the new, more balenced game, that the Ninth Age offers - which is perfectly understandable - but I am not following, as it's not Warhammer, and play Warhammer because it's Warhammer.

#85 Pellegrim

Pellegrim

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 09:01 PM

..... play Warhammer because it's Warhammer.

So in your view, a mean old elite dwarf with a huge hammer, needs to be also called a Hammerer, otherwise it breaks your immersion? I do not get that at all. I mean I respect it, but do not get it. I play that same Dwarf in 9th and have the exact same feeling playing him, cause he plays that exact same role in the army. I play fluffy battle and tournies mostly using 9th .. why? Cause we make our own stories, and I still get to use them good old Dwarf and have that feel, and there are many people to play against. I do miss the names of the old gods .. and can only hope our full army book will come. I gues that will takes years .. but in the mean time I still call our Valaya at times!

#86 Hero of Rome

Hero of Rome

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 09:13 PM

So in your view, a mean old elite dwarf with a huge hammer, needs to be also called a Hammerer, otherwise it breaks your immersion? I do not get that at all. I mean I respect it, but do not get it. I play that same Dwarf in 9th and have the exact same feeling playing him, cause he plays that exact same role in the army. I play fluffy battle and tournies mostly using 9th .. why? Cause we make our own stories, and I still get to use them good old Dwarf and have that feel, and there are many people to play against. I do miss the names of the old gods .. and can only hope our full army book will come. I gues that will takes years .. but in the mean time I still call our Valaya at times!

For me, in all respect, it's down to immersion. I will still write about my characters from the Old World, and I will still play games in the Old World. Yes, it might be silly - it probably is - but I am grumpy, stubborn (young) git who will never abandon Warhammer, and the Old World.

#87 Thrang Thunderforge

Thrang Thunderforge

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 09:16 PM

I followed the fluff avidly, but must have painted a unit every six months, played maybe one game a year.

Then they killed everyone and everything, so I stopped following. Then they gave us sigmarines without faces, and 'bubbles' and ... emptyness gift wrapped as 'infinite potential'.

I have a hard time staying in a world that was killed by its makers, so my clans ended up leaving Norsca behind. They now exist in limbo, changing over to round bases, but not settled in a new home, or marked on any map. How far away is my hold to yours?

I'm still grumpy about it, but the dawi shall endure, whatever world they're on!

Edited by Thrang Thunderforge, 13 May 2017 - 09:17 PM.

#88 Pellegrim

Pellegrim

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 09:33 PM

For me, in all respect, it's down to immersion. I will still write about my characters from the Old World, and I will still play games in the Old World. Yes, it might be silly - it probably is - but I am grumpy, stubborn (young) git who will never abandon Warhammer, and the Old World.

Right, then I'm indeed a bit less loyal to the GW storyline beyond the typecast they gave Hammerers, Ironbreakers and Slayers. I like the typecasts but dunno anything much about the GW world more then that, as it never interested me that much.

So say if you have to give percentages to the way you stand in the hobby like this, how would it go:

1. Painting and making your army: 0 - 100%
  2. The fluff of the old world: 0 - 100%
  3. Playing narrative battles with friend: 0 - 100%
  4. Playing fluffy tournaments: 0 - 100%
  5. Playing as much competitive games as you can: 0 - 100%

I'm a:

1. 35% (I'm very ambitious with my painting but slow as a donkey and I don't find it that important otherwise I would kick myself in the right direction).
  2. 10%
  3. 60%
  4. 75%
  5. 40%

Edited by Pellegrim, 13 May 2017 - 09:34 PM.

#89 Shaun

Shaun

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 51 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 11:22 PM

Kudos Hero of Rome!

#90 Thorfar Salokin

Thorfar Salokin

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 11:50 PM

Sorry - Zidane is spot on with 1st age of Middle Earth.
The impression I got is that the Lizardmen are one of the oldest civilisations in WHFB.

#91 Thorfar Salokin

Thorfar Salokin

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 14 May 2017 - 08:12 AM

Oh dear - shouldn't post late at night. Previous post relates to Shaun's questions of what was 1st age ME & Zidane's response a while back.
Pellegrim - like the idea of rating our WHFB experience but I think to get a comparison between people then all the categories need to add up to 100%
So for me:
1. Painting army 30%
2. Old world fluff 35%
3. Narrative battles with friends 35%
4. Fluffy tournaments 0%
5. Competitive 0%

Be interesting to see if 9th age players tend more to 5. Also my painting % is for dwarfs - it drops for other armies to about 25% with other two rising.

Were the majority of 8th edition players competitive? Not sure about that? The 8th will probably go down as the last 'dominant' fantasy battle game (certainly in the UK). That's fractured now into 8th, 9th & AoS. If you're lucky you'll be able to play your preferred game in your area.

My impression about game development currently is that it's commissioned by accountants wanting to make money out of the hobby. Whereas 25 odd years ago it was developed by hobbyists wanting to make money out of their hobby. I believe that results in games lacking depth today. Why pay for fluff generation if it doesn't affect the bottom line!

#92 Thrang Thunderforge

Thrang Thunderforge

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 14 May 2017 - 08:47 AM

I remember one of the earlier White Dwarfs showcasing a scratch built land speeder made from a deodorant bottle!
Now we're at time when they're recommending their own branded tools for correcting flaws in their own products (clippers, files, filler, etc)!

The original GW team were a bunch of enthusiasts doing exactly the same thing the 9th Age guys are doing, building something out of their love for it.

How many old school GWs are still putting out games, the likes of Rick Priestley, Allessio Cavator, Gav Thorpe, Thingy & Alan Perry, just because they love it. Respect to them!

#93 Hero of Rome

Hero of Rome

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 14 May 2017 - 09:51 AM

1. 10% I myself paint slowly, and don't really have much time to do so right now  :(

2. 100%

3. 40% We prefer just playing typically, but themed armies are always fun - do it quite a bit with my Empire; need to procure some miners to do a dwarf underground theme!

4. 0% Never actually gone to a tournament, id I'm honest.

5. 65% Most of the time we play competitively when it comes to winning, but we rarely take 100% competitive lists.

#94 Graydon Ironshield

Graydon Ironshield

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 01:40 AM

Right, then I'm indeed a bit less loyal to the GW storyline beyond the typecast they gave Hammerers, Ironbreakers and Slayers. I like the typecasts but dunno anything much about the GW world more then that, as it never interested me that much.

So say if you have to give percentages to the way you stand in the hobby like this, how would it go:

1. Painting and making your army: 0 - 100%
  2. The fluff of the old world: 0 - 100%
  3. Playing narrative battles with friend: 0 - 100%
  4. Playing fluffy tournaments: 0 - 100%
  5. Playing as much competitive games as you can: 0 - 100%

I'm a:

1. 35% (I'm very ambitious with my painting but slow as a donkey and I don't find it that important otherwise I would kick myself in the right direction).
  2. 10%
  3. 60%
  4. 75%
  5. 40%

As for me:

1. 60%  My painting is slow as a glacier, and I only play with painted units. I'm old school that way.

2.  50% I love the Old World, but see the new fluff as being akin a retelling of the Nine Worlds of Norse myth.

3. 60% Would do it in a heartbeat

4. 0% I don't do tourneys. Okay to watch, but I don't like the whole rules-lawyery environment.

5. 85% Uh, yeah, absolutely

#95 Alaric Ironaxe

Alaric Ironaxe

White Dwarf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,460 posts
Contributor

Posted 18 May 2017 - 03:49 PM

My apologies for getting back to you both so late, not quite in the habit yet of getting back on Bugman's regularly. 

Hi Alaric, do you remember Buckeye Battles? Still going strong, there as just under 20 spots left, 7 hr drive only :lol:  or a one hours flight from DC.

You might have a blast -> http://buckeyebattles.com/ 

Unfortunately I'll be out of the country then, if I was around I'd probably try to find a way to make it. Been ages since I had the chance for a warhammer tournament. 

alaric, I'm in NYC, if you ever come around these ways on your way home, we could do a fun 8th edition game.

Also, I know a die-hard 8th edition player in Baltimore if you want me to put you in touch with him?

I'll be sure to give you a heads up if I'm in the city. Unfortunately Baltimore is a bit far for me, with no car it's a bit of a hassle to get to. 

As far as my percents go, I'm probably about 50% in every category. Really enjoy all aspects of the hobby fairly equally, with maybe a slight preference for the gaming aspect. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users