66 replies to this topic

#1 spite

spite

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 05:16 PM

Note: I'm also posting the same blog on TWF, so copy/pasting it here. 

After sometime of not doing much with the many miniatures that I have (My last Army being my High Elves right up until the death of 8th Edition), I had the inkling to dive back in, so instead of painting the miniatures I have I've of course gone and started a new army, the Dwarfs!

Many years ago I had a Dwarf Army which I sold, some of my favourite Miniatures are in the old Dwarf Range from 6th Edition, the Dwarf Warrior box which made up Crossbows/Great Weapons and Hand Weapon + Shield was what I really wanted, since I find the new Warriors fairly ugly. 

I managed to source 3 Boxes of the old Warriors, most of all on the Sprues which was a big bonus as I didn't fancy tearing apart built up Warriors and removing paint from them. Next was the Colour scheme, previously in the Dwarf army I had donkeys ago it was Blue and White and I wanted to bring it back.

The only thing I haven't decided on is the Static Grass/Moss on the Bases, I am looking suggestions on this, if anyone has any advice. 

Here's the results of the first 10, armed with Great Weapons and Shields: (Apologies for the size of the Photos and the crappyness of them, I tried to cut them down didn't work)

Note: Due to Photobucket being a bunch of a cockwombles, the images I previously had up have now been removed, I've retaken the Gyrocopter, Mordheim Treasure Hunter and Lord with Axe but you can see the full unit of 20 Warriors in a later post. 

Edited by spite, 13 August 2017 - 09:38 PM.

#2 The Bearded Baron

The Bearded Baron

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 05:59 PM

They look cracking. The blue and white colour scheme is always a winner with dwarfs. The shields look especially well done.

#3 spite

spite

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 08:43 PM

Thanks, the Shields took the longest to do, it makes me a bit sad that the icon covers most of the Shield which I spent ages layering up to a nice level but I'm really pleased how they came out overall, the back of the Shields I also highlighted however you never really see them due to the hand covering most of it. 

I'll likely post WIP of each of the stages that I go through when painting them with the Colour Scheme as I have about 40 more to do :)

#4 Steven

Steven

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 09:10 PM

Excellent painting there, I really like the emblems on the shields.

#5 spite

spite

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 09:48 PM

Update:

So after completing the first batch of Warriors, I moved onto one of my favorite models ever in the Dwarf Range - The Gyrocopter, specifically the latest edition Gyrocopter. My plan is to do 2 of the Gyrocopters and 1 of the Gyrobombers for a small Air Cav force, the model itself was quite fun to paint but as you might notice I botched the assembly of the Blades and had to fudge it to get it to sit properly, maybe it's just me being a wally but I couldn't find anywhere online about the blades being an issue. 

So here it is, the Gyrocopter:

8NkkVmz.jpg?1
k49C511.jpg?1
em7DyMD.jpg?1

In my next update I'll likely add a Dwarf Character into the mix. 

Edited by spite, 13 August 2017 - 09:33 PM.

#6 spite

spite

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 07:15 PM

Update:

To break up the pace of painting Warriors, I moved onto a model I've for quite some time but never painted, it's a fantastic model (among the many in the Mordheim range) it being the Dwarf Treasure Hunter. The Lamp was quite fun to paint, I saw it more of a lava lamp or some kind of Magic that keeps it going all the time at least that was my excuse that it looks like a Fruit Pastille lollipop. 

PIIYy6b.jpg?1
vnEtQB2.jpg?1
KCnMY4N.jpg?1
EoJL0oU.jpg?1
RuR2p5g.jpg?1
7bHoz5Q.jpg?1

Edited by spite, 13 August 2017 - 09:33 PM.

#7 Helblindi

Helblindi

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 06:26 AM

Those are some nice paintjobs! The treasure hunter is a good eyecatcher. Well done.

#8 Thorvald the Relentless

Thorvald the Relentless

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 04:56 PM

Second on that. Very accurate, very pretty, very neat - really perfect painting. Keep it up!

#9 Falgrin

Falgrin

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 05:18 PM

Lovely model and great paint job.  How did you do the wood?

#10 Thorgrimmir

Thorgrimmir

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 11:54 AM

Great painting all around!

#11 spite

spite

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 11:40 PM

@Falgrin - The Wood is really simple to do:

Base; Rhinox Hide 
Highlight: Mournfang Brown

I might have added in a wash of Aggrax too which likely I would've added another Highlight of Mournfang after or even Skraag Brown. 

Update:

I work from home 2 days a week so on those days I can easily paint in my lunch and straight after work, I finished this guy in 1 Day as of course it was a simple paint job, I didn't know really how to tie him into my army but I sneaked some blue in. It was one of the miniatures I had to have as he was the cornerstone of my previous army.

mpVrd4I.jpg?1
YiHMjm8.jpg?1
uwnsQBH.jpg?1

I'm still working on 40+ Warriors, the cleaning of the weapons and heads is taking some time, however I managed to pick up an Anvil of Doom from Ebay which was still sealed which is nice so likely while the grind continues I will give that a paint to ensure the dullness.

As ever any comments you have, critique or advice is more than welcome.

P.S If anyone has any idea how to shrink Photos on Photobucket or anywhere else that would be handy. :)

Edited by spite, 13 August 2017 - 09:34 PM.

#12 Helblindi

Helblindi

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 06:14 AM

Ah yes, that is a great model! Well painted again, too.

#13 Thorvald the Relentless

Thorvald the Relentless

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 04:04 PM

Great model indeed, well done! I especially like the metal, it's truly great :)

P.S If anyone has any idea how to shrink Photos on Photobucket or anywhere else that would be handy.  :)

You could use this (hit the "new post" button) http://imgur.com/

or this  - https://imgbb.com/ (letters like EN or RU in the upper left corner select the language for the site)

or even - this http://tinypic.com/

#14 spite

spite

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 12:16 AM

@Thanks Thorvald, I didn't realise on Imgur you could resize them (I go on it everyday, just never uploaded pics!) , it worked well. 

Update:

So I'm still trudging along trying to get these Warriors assembled, so I decided to break up the pace with some character painting. I managed to get this guy done in one evening, I'm fairly happy with the results, the Red Gems are a bit too bright for my liking, I might change that at some point. Another classic model of the Dwarf Range, the Runesmith was another must for the army. 

To make this update a little different, I took WIP Progress pics throughout and made sure to remember what I painted it with. Here goes:

Stage 1 - Base Colours (Over Black Undercoat)

Hammer Head, Rune Staff, Rune Medallions, Helmet - Leadbelcher
Cloth/Robe - Kantor Blue 
Bags, Book, Skin, Gloves - Rhinox Hide
Beard and Base - Eshin Grey

pVK3hi2.jpg?1
fIhkBPr.jpg?1

Stage 2 - Highlights

Rune Staff, Rune Medallions - Balthasar Gold
Cloth/Robe - Alaitoc Blue 
Bags, Book - Mournfang Brown 
Skin - Mix of Cadian Fleshtone/Rhinox Hide (2:1) 
Gloves - Mix of Mephiston Red/Rhinox Hide (2:1)
Beard and Base - Dawnstone 

KyAdEJ4.jpg?1
Ro8igIv.jpg?1

Stage 3 - Wash

I didn't take any pictures of straight after the Wash but here's what I did anyhow. 

Rune Staff, Rune Medallions - Aggrax Earthshade
Cloth/Robe - Drakenhof Nightshade
Bags, Book - Aggrax Earthshade
Skin - Aggrax Earthshade
Gloves - Aggrax Earthshade
Beard and Base - Nuln Oil 

Stage 4 and 5 - Final Highlights and Touches/Smalls Parts

Rune Staff, Rune Medallions - Gehennas Gold
Cloth/Robe - Alaitoc Blue, (2nd HL) Calgar Blue, (Final HL) Ceramite White
Bags, Book - Skraag Brown 
Book Rope - Karak Stone, (2nd HL) Screaming Skull
Skin - Cadian Fleshtone 
Gloves - Mephiston Red, (2nd HL) Evil Sunz Scarlet 
Gems/Rubys - Mephiston Red, Aggrax Earthshade Wash, (2nd HL) Evil Sunz Scarlet
Beard and Base - Dawnstone, (2nd HL) Administratum Gray, (Final HL) Ceramite White 

xRHgcNs.jpg?1
KX5dHd3.jpg?1

Lots of fun to paint, fairly quick to do and keeping the momentum going.

Edited by spite, 22 March 2017 - 12:17 AM.

#15 Thorgrimmir

Thorgrimmir

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 09:50 AM

Such a nice tutorial, cheers!

#16 spite

spite

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 11:20 PM

Update:

So because the Dwarf Warriors are taking so long to assemble and clean, I took some pictures of some Warriors of Chaos characters I did about a month or 2 ago, where I got back into painting. When 8th was was in its element, I built and painted a Warriors Army with a very bland colour scheme, because I mainly have always been more of a gamer than a painter (Warrior Blog: http://warhammer.org...p?f=4&t=119428)however these models specifically I felt like were very akin to their Chaos Gods and painting them with my bland scheme wasn't going to cut the mustard, so I never got round to them but recently picked up the brush again and went to town. These are also some of the best models out of the range so happy I painted them the way I did. 

Exalted Champion of Khorne on Juggernaught:

DscCGKS.jpg?1
iem2rGE.jpg?1
LbLtNF7.jpg?1
stkTrx1.jpg?1
84RFcq9.jpg?1

Exalted Champion of Tzeentch on Disc:

nOvzCoh.jpg?1
OVTk6y1.jpg?1
HyHPsBe.jpg?1
zsljpe2.jpg?1
a4x5tMz.jpg?1

Exalted Champion of Slaanesh on Foot:

yd9M7ZP.jpg?1
LLZpKS8.jpg?1
8X3BZoC.jpg?1

Exalted Champion of Khorne on Foot:

CASIa0g.jpg?1
cKj3YMZ.jpg?1

Not sure why, but the Red on the Khorne Foot Champion appears way brighter in picture than in person. The Champ on Jugger took a lot longer to paint than the rest, I think I did at least 8 or 10 Highlight Layers on the Red (for some reason it doesn't look that way at all!) and the Slaanesh Champions Armour was a real please to paint. 

I'll be back with some Dwarfs soon enough, I've made a few more eBay purchases of Miners, Lord with Axe, Bolt Thrower and BSB. So plenty to crack on with!

#17 Thorvald the Relentless

Thorvald the Relentless

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 10:52 AM

Lovely models, to be sure. And simple relatively to paint :)

#18 Pendrakk

Pendrakk

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 06:05 AM

I was looking for inspiration for warriors with great weapons and shields which brought me here. Your warriors look great and i noticed your comment about the emblems taking up too much space. I took the ancestor head emblem bits from that box set and used them instead, after shaving them a little thinner, and now they look like viking shields. I can post a pic but i was not gonna photo bomb your post.

#19 spite

spite

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 11:46 AM

@Pendrakk, 

Thanks, yeah post a pic here, the more the merrier if it helps. 

#20 Pendrakk

Pendrakk

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 05:16 PM

IMG_6734_zpsr3kglmxq.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users