• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#41 Goraz

Goraz

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 01:44 AM

Ah, I see where you're coming from. The difference between our initial mindsets I think is that I don't consider the WHFRP source books to be part of the official canon. There were many things in those that are contradicted in the Black Library/army books. The last fantasy army book does say that the were among the first, but not that the race descended from them. They believe the firstborn of their race included "chief amongst whom were their pantheon of gods", so among the first, meaning that there were others who were not gods and also helped sire the Dwarfs.

My mistake that they weren't part of the initial wave of Dwarfs though :)

Edited by Goraz, 23 March 2017 - 01:47 AM.

#42 Thorfar Salokin

Thorfar Salokin

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 08:02 AM

Haha .... SQUATS! After all these years - in fact I have an old squat model not dissimilar to some of these steampunk dwarfs.
I see the old theory of Sigmar being a lost Primarch is resurfacing too. It seems likely to me that they're re-engineering this so Sigmar is the 40k emperor. The latest sigmarines have bolters with little curvy bits - to denote a crossbow I think! And the process for creating sigmarines is described in such a similar way to space marines in the latest WD. With warp / realm gates and all the rest of it .... some of these could be nice in Necromunda though but suspect the £££££ will be weighty.
I have to say (and not being argumentative) but Nagash is part of the WH undead theme - but vampire counts and tomb kings are too. Also I thought these were duardim or something now? Not dwarfs - not that GWS own the IP to dwarf anyway. I do hope GWS don't try to twist the WHFB history though - the creative capability currently in GWS doesn't come anywhere near that of the past. It'd be like someone trying to paint over the Mona Lisa!

#43 Snorri Fireaxe

Snorri Fireaxe

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 104 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 09:37 AM

@thorfar:no sigmar Will never be a Primarch(in Horus heresy Brooks is stated the Lost Primarchs are Dead).
Old background is not contradicted and Sigmar was Born man.
Also these are dwarfs...Called duardin in the new universe but are dwarfs, sons of Grungni and Grimnir.
And rest sure GW Will not change whfb background,aos is the "continuation" but they'll of course Will not change past background lol.
@goraz:also i don't think that the First edition or the RPG is Canon saddenly.
Because Stone and steel was very beautiful.

Edited by Snorri Fireaxe, 23 March 2017 - 09:39 AM.

#44 Thorfar Salokin

Thorfar Salokin

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 09:48 AM

Snorri - there are examples of GWS rewriting WHFB history or in some cases ignoring it altogether (SOC) so I think it would be quite simple for them to rewrite Sigmar's history to make him a Primarch. However, my point was that the imagery tone and content of AoS seem to make Sigmar suspiciously Emperor of mankind like. Which is fine of course and nice if you like that sort of thing

#45 Snorri Fireaxe

Snorri Fireaxe

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 104 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 10:17 AM

Snorri - there are examples of GWS rewriting WHFB history or in some cases ignoring it altogether (SOC) so I think it would be quite simple for them to rewrite Sigmar's history to make him a Primarch. However, my point was that the imagery tone and content of AoS seem to make Sigmar suspiciously Emperor of mankind like. Which is fine of course and nice if you like that sort of thing

Yes i know but i don't think they'll rewwrite the background of Horus heresy that is theirs diamond products of present to give a strange connection to a different game.
Also Sigmar always was the "emperor of mankind" of fantasy...The foremost god of Empire(being the ewuivalent of imperium of 40k).
Now is only "more powerful" and Yes perhaps they are more similar.
But sorry this thing of retconning a game no longer produced is very strange and impossible...Whfb is "Dead",the Memories of old world Will be secured i think,nobody will oblige us to change is ideas and backgrounds and neither GW would want that because they have to create a new universe,continuation of the old world but totally different(more High magic perhaps).
But of course i understand what you are saying.

Edited by Snorri Fireaxe, 23 March 2017 - 10:47 AM.

#46 Thorvald the Relentless

Thorvald the Relentless

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 11:07 AM

Haha .... SQUATS! After all these years - in fact I have an old squat model not dissimilar to some of these steampunk dwarfs.

Demiurgs in fact. And yes, you are right, Kharadron dwarves are those old squats almost one-to-one, save the fact they have now normal and proper proportions and anatomy and are not those funny childish balls with legs. Which is nice really.

And, anyway, what is really good is that instead of generic fantasy models and fluff with one-dimensional and non-believable races we, from time to time, get interesting and unique stuff, sometimes crazy, but the more imagination they put to them, the better, and high magical D&D serve this purpose much stronger. 

#47 Krom-the-Navigator

Krom-the-Navigator

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 03:15 PM

News from warhammer tv.

Ironclad has apprently so many rules that they had to reduce the font to fit all of it onto one page.
Both it and the Frigate can carry models. If loaded to its maximum load capacitiy it can still take in models, but it'll reduce it's Move stat. Ballon troops never count against that maximum capacity since they just get towed along.

Arkanaut Company is battleline.
All battalions are entirely built around being completely airborne.
Overlord Allegiance is selected by city instead of just a general Kharadron Overlord one.
Ironclad uses the Imperial Knight base (!)

#48 Thorfar Salokin

Thorfar Salokin

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 03:38 PM

I do prefer the original name of Squats - from an age when GWS had an undercurrent of tongue-in-cheek humour. It seems to have been lost in recent years

I don't think we could declare one type of dwarf as being unbelievable and another not! Isn't that a bit like asking if someone believes in the tooth fairy (no) and then suggesting that the fairuadyin (which are similar to fairies) are believable! They'll be carting us off in restraining jackets 🤔. The old Squat background was pretty unique anyway - certainly as original as a steampunk derived dwarf race

Snorri - I don't think they'd have to rewrite the Horus heresy or WHFB. The history of the 40k emperor goes back millenia before the heresy and his origins unknown. I'm just speculating, given the similarity in style between AoS & 40k, that Sigmar's future is the emperor's past somehow. To be written once AoS is out of steam & they release another game - how about 'Sigmar: The Once and Future God-King'

#49 Thorvald the Relentless

Thorvald the Relentless

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 04:48 PM

I do prefer the original name of Squats - from an age when GWS had an undercurrent of tongue-in-cheek humour. It seems to have been lost in recent years

Demiurgs are not squats, they are one the xenos races allied with the Tau Empire, just like vespids or kroots. But they are also like technological space dwarves, just as squats were, who are vaguely still present in the background as part of the Imperium. Just a bit of history :)

I don't think we could declare one type of dwarf as being unbelievable and another not! Isn't that a bit like asking if someone believes in the tooth fairy (no) and then suggesting that the fairuadyin (which are similar to fairies) are believable! They'll be carting us off in restraining jackets 🤔. The old Squat background was pretty unique anyway - certainly as original as a steampunk derived dwarf race

Ah, you are right, I could have written in other words. I mean (and not squats,by the way) that most GW races were pretty generic as the whole world and their fluff was too one-sided and straightforward, which is why it's hard to believe that such could really be alive. This problem, of course, didn't disappear - entire fluff of Khorne and partially orcs one has this disease as well, I find such background always stupid and boring, but if orcs in AoS have their own interesting bits and funny details, Khorne has not. The biggest flaw of GW fluff since the time out of mind I'd presume.

#50 Hero of Rome

Hero of Rome

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 05:23 PM

Anyone know if anything will be discontinued or repackaged along side this release?

#51 Snorri Fireaxe

Snorri Fireaxe

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 104 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 11:35 PM

@thorfar:we know the emperor origins in the latest HH book emperor of mankind...
We already known that he was created with a Mass suicide of shamans psions reincarnating in a single baby...
Also in the book we have glimpse of his"old Life"(he was Born in Anatolia 8000 BC),if i'm not wrong we see he killing his uncle for Revenge (uncle killed his "mortal father") so he cannot be sigmar nor Sigmar Can be One of his Primarchs (that are both Dead).
Is like saying that Gorkamorka is a brainboyz or that Balthasar gelt Will become Malcador.
Thematically Yes Sigmar is being " a lot more like the emperor" but only in functions... but the universes are separated,GW "cutted" in the last years the possibility of being the Same universe(First editions we saw that was the opposite but no longer is it).
Sure if GW Will go Mad and create a new universe where they're the Same emperor Will be that,but of course i don't think this is a possibility....Nor It Will have sense.
PS sorry if i seem rude Thorfar but english is not my native tongue and maybe i'm writing wrong :P ,i don't want to be offensive.

Edited by Snorri Fireaxe, Yesterday, 08:42 AM.

#52 silverstu

silverstu

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 56 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:08 AM

Just to add they mentioned that one of the city ports has a Fyreslayer lodge on it- so opportunities for cross-overs and alliances.

#53 Thorvald the Relentless

Thorvald the Relentless

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted Yesterday, 12:21 PM

Aye, as usual, and it seems quite funny, but also logical - Kharadrons will be bringing lots of gold, and maybe there is ur-gold there too? the slayers will do anything to get it, and just imagine berzerkers riding the airships!

#54 Zidane_blade

Zidane_blade

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts

Posted Yesterday, 06:04 PM

I think its called, aether gold

#55 Krom-the-Navigator

Krom-the-Navigator

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted Yesterday, 06:10 PM

Which is basically precious aether, going by the fact that gold also means valuable (and another hundred things) to dwarfs.

#56 Thorfar Salokin

Thorfar Salokin

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:00 PM

Hi Snorri - absolutely no offence taken at all. I think we all appreciate that Bugman's has members from across the world & not everyone's first language is English. Personally I'm very grateful that you are able to use English because I can guarantee I couldn't use your language! Everyone is welcome here.
Interesting about the Emperor's origins - I vaguely remember that from a source somewhere. Perhaps it was the old Rogue Trader - still we're not really meant to discuss 40k 😄

#57 Thorvald the Relentless

Thorvald the Relentless

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted Today, 02:45 PM

https://ibb.co/j0hUfa

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users