#81 Alebelly_Cragfist

Alebelly_Cragfist

Dwarf Of Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,344 posts
Contributor

Posted 30 March 2017 - 08:09 AM

Endrinkul is Engineering in Khazalid (-ul suffix signifying skill or mastery of).

It's a pretty safe bet Endrink can be extrapolated as a term meaning Engine, or the root word for anything relating to engines or engineering.

We speculated a few years back that Endrinkuli worked as a term for Master Engineers (in general). Difficult though as there is a fair amount of inconsistency in how GW put the original language together. "Master of" surprisingly, isn't a term we could find, such as Guild Master, Master Craftsman. This may be intentional as we are all on a journey to perfection and even a master engineer is yet to reach his goal.

Rik, meaning King or Lord has been used in a similar sense "Rhunriken Ankor" meaning Runemaster's Lair (domain). Which is also interesting as it has the -en suffix, which could be used as evidence -en signifies ownership like our 's does. (This isn't highlighted in the official language docs).

Endrinkrik or perhaps Endrik could work as Master Engineer. Although the sense of humour of Dwarfs may shorten this to 'Krik', and lead to a mythology surrounding the term "Krik in my neck" from Master Engineers' penchant for cramming themselves in small spaces under machinery as they work.

I really should get back to the lexicon we started, love this stuff :)

#82 Krom-the-Navigator

Krom-the-Navigator

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 11:03 AM

What I find most interesting (and daunting) is that the ironclads (which are on a knight sized base) are NOT the biggest ship they have. If they are ever released on the tabletop...

#83 Skull Krusher

Skull Krusher

Skazastoki

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,193 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 02:48 AM

I really should get back to the lexicon we started, love this stuff :)

That is my wish as well. Please find time to continue working on the Dawi lexicon!!!

#84 Krom-the-Navigator

Krom-the-Navigator

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 10:34 AM

"As the Code is the basis of all Kharadron society, we also used it as the basis of their traits. Instead of getting a single trait like most other factions, you choose your army's interpretation of the Kharadron code from a trio of lists -giving you an Article, an Amendment and a Footnote-, which allows you to interpret the Code to your preferences. But if you want to theme your army around one of the major skyports, we created bespoke rules for them. To make up for their loss of flexibility of choosing your own interpretations, you get a small bonus -such as the traditionalists of Barak-Thryng being allowed a special artefact named the Grudgehammer, or the peerless aeronauts of Barak-Zilfin gaining bonuses to their skyvessels."

This is from WD. At first I thought it would be like chapter tactics but this sounds MUCH better.

#85 Clan's Cynic

Clan's Cynic

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 132 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 02:03 PM

Seems a bit like the 3.5 Imperial Guard doctrines. 

#86 Krom-the-Navigator

Krom-the-Navigator

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 07:48 PM

Seems a bit like the 3.5 Imperial Guard doctrines. 

I liked those, so it's a plus to me if they are fairly similar. Also, want to read what these articles are about.

#87 Mordicia Stonecleavor

Mordicia Stonecleavor

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 07:18 PM

So, if I'm reading this White Dwarf correctly, the new Dwarves just fly around in their big ships and shoot stuff and are easily overwhelmed by melee units...

I'm disappointed...

#88 Clan's Cynic

Clan's Cynic

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 132 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 01:49 PM

So, if I'm reading this White Dwarf correctly, the new Dwarves just fly around in their big ships and shoot stuff and are easily overwhelmed by melee units...

I'm disappointed...

If nothing else, it's somewhat refreshing for the new army to actually lose the obligatory battle report though. Going by the post-battle brief it seems like the Dwarf player was having REALLY bad luck with his rolls and ending up with tons of 1's a great deal of the time though.

The descriptions of Khador- uhm, the Kharadron being 'very mobile' and having units like the Arkanaut Crewmen being a fodder unit made me do a double take on if they were Dwarfs or not. 

I might make an Imperial Militia list in 30k out of them.

Edited by Clan's Cynic, 06 April 2017 - 01:51 PM.

#89 Thorvald the Relentless

Thorvald the Relentless

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 02:36 PM

They were, in fact. It's not only beards and short legs, you know. And this is only one report, after all, nothing to worry about yet.

Edited by Thorvald the Relentless, 06 April 2017 - 05:41 PM.

#90 Clan's Cynic

Clan's Cynic

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 132 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 03:45 PM

The were, in fact. It's not only beards and short legs, you know. And this is only one report, after all, nothing to worry about yet.

I'm aware, yes. I just enjoy the novelty of a 'transported' (IE not cavalry) force in a game - that is to say, a fantasy one - that has never really had one. 

Edited by Clan's Cynic, 06 April 2017 - 03:48 PM.

#91 Thorvald the Relentless

Thorvald the Relentless

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 05:46 PM

Aye, fair point, and, I must say, here GW has done it quite neatly. Many developers and creators tried to give our beloved stunties some sort of cavalry, and while some were pretty fun and interesting (like griphons in the Battle for Wesnoth or bears in HoMM V Hammers of Fate), it was always a beat weird as dwarves tend to live mostly underground where it's hard to have and maintained cavalry units. So GW has made a smart move, apart from the fact that the Kharadrons could not have anything else because of their sky theme. But still.

#92 Dethos

Dethos

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 08:37 AM

The models look great! I'm probably going to pick 2 airships to be played as Grudge Busters in Ninth Age.

#93 Xisor of Karak Izor

Xisor of Karak Izor

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 10:25 PM

I'm disappointed...

If nothing else, it's somewhat refreshing for the new army to actually lose the obligatory battle report though. Going by the post-battle brief it seems like the Dwarf player was having REALLY bad luck with his rolls and ending up with tons of 1's a great deal of the time though.

The descriptions of Khador- uhm, the Kharadron being 'very mobile' and having units like the Arkanaut Crewmen being a fodder unit made me do a double take on if they were Dwarfs or not. 

I might make an Imperial Militia list in 30k out of them.

I really like this idea. And I echo the sentiment.

There's a line in White Dwarf about them, something like: "they might not venerate their ancestors much, but with beards and axes and grudges, they're still duardin at heart."

It made me chunter (not chunder!) and tug at my beard. In hindsight, threaded through all the lore in Warhammer Fantasy, I'm not sure there was ever an occasion that I heard of a single dwarf explicitly refer to...y'know, the ones over there. The... 

Well, no need to explicitly refer to them here.

In the War of Vengeance trilogy (gnollengrom to Nick, Chris and Clint), I recall vividly the disastrous 'endeavours' undertaken by the hill-dwarfs. And the Norse Dwarfs only really survived, if not exactly thrived, to see the end of everything.

----

My point is this: they might be duardin at heart, but with only token gestures to tradition and ancestry, I'd contend that the Kharadon are closer to...y'know... the ones that were over.... Well, anyway.

Duardin, but not dawi. One tough, isolating, ethereal storm and they'll maroon themselves far from a proper mountain. And then there'll be trouble.

----

Nevertheless. The models are gorgeous. The aesthetic's all wrong, but at the same time it's nevertheless brilliant. Give it a few centuries to work out the details and it might be alright!

For 40k - I think some of the plainer foot soldiers might work perfectly. Really perfectly. I've a mind to acquire some to accompany the gene stealer cultists, chaos cultists and 'other' cultists that make up my planned 'Machine Cultist' laymen that'll accompany my Adeptus Mechanics forces.

#94 Krom-the-Navigator

Krom-the-Navigator

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 05:11 PM

http://s3-eu-west-1....36572f61330.png

It seems the book of grudges was stolen and "renamed" so people wouldn't notice!

#95 Mandolinovolante

Mandolinovolante

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 03:29 PM

In your opinion what is the best weapon to be equipped to grundstock thunderers?

#96 Thorvald the Relentless

Thorvald the Relentless

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 08:20 PM

From Tyler Mengel.Not bad really!

arkanauts_battle.png
arkanauts_unit.png
arkanauts4.jpg
arkanauts6.jpg
arkanauts7.jpg
arkanauts10.jpg
arkanauts12.jpg
arkanauts13.jpg

#97 Krom-the-Navigator

Krom-the-Navigator

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 10:38 AM

I've learnt an interesting detail: the first skyports were actually forts. Hence why they are called "Barak" (wall, door, fortification). This is most interesting, the word Barak came to be, as time passed, synonimous with port as the only designations they had for the word matched both definitions.

Edited by Krom-the-Navigator, 22 April 2017 - 10:38 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users