3 replies to this topic

#1 Prince Ulfar

Prince Ulfar

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 03:57 PM

Okay finally this Thursday I'll get to play my first 1K game of KoW against Elves.

My list:

1 Berserker Lord on a Broc, with Mace of Crushing (the mace maybe pointless with vicious, but I had 5 points to use, and the more hits the merrier).

1 Battle Standard Bearer, with Kevinar's flying hammer (Thor's Hammer, for Thor's Day! The gods will be with me for this use of 5 points alone!)

1 Horde of Ironclads

1 Regiment of Shieldbreakers

1 Troop of Ironwatch

1 Troop of Rangers (with the Piercing Arrow)

1 Troop of Brock Riders (I got some mounted Dwarf Knights on E-bay for this, which I hope to have built and painted in time)

1 Organ Gun

I have no idea if this a good or bad list, but it gives me a chance to use a number of different units, and sizes to see what works, and what doesn't. I'd like to have got some Ironguard in and a King, but there wasn't the points.

Still wish me luck!

#2 jtrowell

jtrowell

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 117 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 09:27 AM

It looks like a decent list for 1k, you have two inspiring source (but the berserker lord will of course only inspire the brock riders and himself), some decent mobility with the lord and brock riders, and some decent medium range shooting with the organ gun and the rangers (the rangers can also complement your mobility with the vanguard move).

For the Lord, you should probably replace the mace with the blade of slashing to reroll on to hit, as you already wrote you have vicious with the brock mount.

You lack trully long range shooting, so something like an elven bolt thrower might be used against you especially to try an early kill of the organ gun, and elves might bring faster units that you, but you have good defenses and nerve so at worst soak it and counter attack. ^_^

#3 Prince Ulfar

Prince Ulfar

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 01:44 PM

Thanks for the review. Yes trying to keep the BSB with the main battle line and use the Brocs and Lord to break a flank and sweep inwards to role up their line. The problem is Elves are very much faster than me!

#4 jtrowell

jtrowell

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 117 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 08:41 AM

Against faster ennemies, it's usually good to have some chaff to sacrifice to their initial charge (something cheap like an ironclad troop), or to be tough enough to survive it and give the time for the rest of the army to come help you during the counter attack.

If it is a friendly game, I would advice the elf player to not bring things like a dragon lord or a horde of drakon, as they would make the game revolve around them at only 1000 points (a dragon lord is 300+ points by itself) and would make the game less fun for both of you.

At this point level you usually get a better game if nobody bring anything worth much more than 200 point (well, maybe one ~250 unit as a centerpiece can be ok depending on the army), especially if you are still both learning the game.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users