2 replies to this topic

#1 rye0006

rye0006

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 06:26 PM

I normally play a gunline style army, but have been painting up some slayers recently so I fancy playing an aggressive combat list with Strollaz. What do people think about this list (comes in at 2978 points)?

Daemon Slayer (with slayers)
MRo Snorri Spangelhelm
Ro Might
Ro Parrying

Josef Bugman (with rangers)

Thane (with Longbeards)
BSB
MRo Grungni
Ro Stoicism
Great Weapon

Runesmith (with Longbeards)
Ro Spellbreaking
Fiery Ring of Thori
Ro Stone
Great weapon

23 Longbeards
Full command
Strollaz rune
Shields

16 Quarrellers
Full command
Great Weapons

10 Thunderers
Full command

20 Hammerers
Full command
Strollaz rune
Ro Battle

29 Slayers
Full command
Strollaz rune
Ro Sanctuary

Cannon
Ro Forging

29 Bugman's Rangers
Musician & Standard Bearer

#2 Lord Alisk

Lord Alisk

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,223 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 07:22 PM

This can only be a quick note - I don't have my army book to hand etc., and I haven't played in ages, but from a cursory glance the list looks pretty good.

Some suggestions however:

No stollaz on your BSB? The extra strollaz would help (links to point two)

What do you want to small units of quarrellers and thunderers to do? They're very vulnerable, I'd say, and I'm not sure what purpose they'd serve (maybe guard the cannon? but then they cost a lot more than the cannon...) If you've got a plan for them (or they're the only models you've got), then fair enough, but I think you'd be better off with one big unit of something than the two smaller ones. Obviously what models you've got matters a great deal, but I'd advise you to take a big unit of normal GW warriors with the BSB to make them strollaz - that'd fit in with the rest of the army better.

Alternatively, give strollaz to your BSB and stoicism to the long beards - stoicism lasts forever, whereas strollaz is one shot - basically, it's much easier to kill the BSB than the long beards, so I think it's a more effective way to share the runes out.

I'd advise a 2nd unit of 5 rangers. For 70 points they'll really help you protect your vanguard zones - as your entire strategy turns on vanguarding, you want to protect the vanguard moves as much as possible.

Gyrocopters are absolute bargains, and 1/2 of them can vanguard too - really handy!

If it were me, I'd take a 2nd runesmith, but I realise points might be very tight - I'm just a bit paranoid about magic! Also, I'd give your runesmith a shield over a GW - he's not really dangerous in combat with only 2 attacks, but the extra survivability of the shield can be really handy in challenges to reduce the enemy's overkill bonus. Basically, when my runesmiths have used their spell breakers, I often use them as challenge monkeys / redirectors, and the shield certainly helps in the former  role

Anyway, I really enjoyed used Strollaz dwarf lists back in the day, and I think you will too. They certainly do take people by surprise the first time you use them, and are a lot of fun too. 

Good luck!

#3 rye0006

rye0006

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 01:08 PM

Thank you for these suggestions, I will certainly take them on board. I'm going to have a game next week against wood elves that I think I'll use a Strollaz list for. I'm going to rework it a bit though as we'll play 2500pts. I still quite fancy using slayers though (hopefully make short work of pesky treemen).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users