Photo

Gav Thorpe Blog - Warbeast Longlisted For A David Gemmell Award!

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Bugman

Bugman

Master Dwarf Brewer

• Brewery Masters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,524 posts
Contributor

Posted 17 February 2017 - 03:27 PM

The-Gemmell-Awards-Logo-768x317.jpgWarbeast-by-Gav-Thorpe-Black-Library-AgeToday the ‘longlist’ for the David Gemmell Awards for Fantasy have been announced, and I’m chuffed to bits that Black Library have put forward my Age of Sigmar novel Warbeast for nomination.

For those who don’t know how the Gemmells work, publishers and the public can put forward books for the nominations longlist. These are then opened up to the public for voting, and a shortlist created which is again opened up to the public for voting. The actual awards ceremony is held at a different event each year – this year it will take place at Edge-Lit in Derby on 15th July.

I’m in great Black Library company as Graham McNeill won the award for Best Novel in 2010, with Empire, and David Guymer was shortlisted last year for his book Gotrek & Felix: Slayer. This is actually the second time I’ve been longlisted for a Gemmell award, as Shadow King was put forward in 2011 for Best Novel.

img_0400-224x300.jpg

I empathise with that hasty scribble these days.

“I met David Gemmell when I first started writing for Black Library. He held a signing at Waterstone’s in Nottingham and my first couple of stories had been published in Inferno magazine. Joining the queue, my mind was full of the great things I would say – I was a writer, he was a writer, what could be simpler? When I got to the front a fright took me, I thrust my book towards David and blurted something like ‘I really like your work!’ before fleeing.”

If you’re a fan of David Gemmell you might be interested in the Legends II anthology, for which I wrote a short story The Blessed And The Cursed. With an introduction by Stan Nicholls, it also includes stories from Stella Gemmell, Andy Remic, Edward Cox, John Gwynne, Gavin G. Smith, and many more.

“Determined warriors, hideous creatures, wicked sorceries, tricksy villains and cunning lovers abound as fantasy’s finest imaginations do their best and their worst…”

If you would like to vote in the Gemmell Awards, you can find all the details here (voting on the longlist ends Friday 31st March). I won’t ask you to vote for me (although you will have my thanks if you do), but I would *really* like to go head to head with Graham and his axe!

David-Gemmell-Legends-Award-Axe.png

The winner receives a half-sized replica of the weapon wielded by Druss the Deathwalker in the works of David Gemmell

**To make sure you don’t miss out on any blog posts, you can keep up-to-date with everything Gav by signing up to my monthly newsletter. As a bonus, every other month I randomly pick a newsletter subscriber to receive a free signed copy of one of my books.**

Please Feel Free to Share:facebook.pngtwitter.pnggoogle_plus.pngreddit.pngpinterest.pngtumblr.pngmail.png

View the full article

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users