Photo

How Many Points For A First Game Of Kow?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Prince Ulfar

Prince Ulfar

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 03:42 PM

I've started looking at KoW as an alternative for WFB.

I've got the free rules, which I liked, so ordered the 2nd ed hard copy rules.

I want to get some of my old gaming friends into it. As such what is the good size of points for a first game?

It needs to have a few units and a hero and bits, so they can get used to the difference set of rules, but no too much so we never finish. I want it fast enough to play, but enough going on to hook them in!

I would like to get 2 games in about 3, 3 and half hours, so everyone can play a game. (I would assume game 2 will be faster, even if we use different armies, as we should have the basics after game one, I hope!)

So what points should I go for, and any other pointers to having a fun first game?

#2 Montegue

Montegue

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,745 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 03:52 PM

If you guys have armies, I'd start with 1k points. It's a small game, takes little time, but still has some unit diversity so you can experiment with the rules. 

#3 Prince Ulfar

Prince Ulfar

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 04:30 PM

Cheers. We've all got old Warhammer armies, so minis not a problem. I'm planning on Dwarfs, but we should have Orcs, Elves and what ever is like Brettonians!

1,000 points it is!

#4 Dubren

Dubren

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 104 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 06:51 PM

for those Brets you probably want the Brotherhood list, they are basically Bretonnia but without being horrible to the peasants and they can use footknights, greater and lesser water elementals.

#5 Prince Ulfar

Prince Ulfar

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 01:26 PM

Thanks for that.

#6 jtrowell

jtrowell

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 119 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 09:36 AM

The Brotherhood is in the "Uncharted Empires" supplement, and the full list is also available with all options in the excellent army editor at http://kow2.easyarmy.com/

For beginners, 1000 points is nice. If time is a problem or you really want to do small demo games and then switch immediatly to 2k games, then 750 points is also an option, provided that you limit the armies to relatively cheap units (most units should cost 150 points or less at this level, with maybe one exception upd to around 200 points), as playing with too few units would limit the potential for manoeuvring and not allow the game to  show its full possibilities.

Also, don't take heavy fliers for a first game, they are not unbalanced by themselves (especially with the Clash of Kings variant), but with players still learning the game they can be too much too soon, as they take a slightly different set of tactics to counter if the player using them is skilled.

Small light units like gargoyles are perfectly viable (and a nice way to discovert the potential of flying units), and something like a medium flying hero too (hero on pegasus for exemple), but things like a hero on dragon or a drakon or Elohi horde are clearly too much for a first game in my opinion.

#7 Prince Ulfar

Prince Ulfar

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 04:10 PM

Cheers, thanks for that. I think 1K game seems right to me to start with.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users