13 replies to this topic

#1 Thorfar Salokin

Thorfar Salokin

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 12:01 AM

I've only been playing this game since Christmas but it's excellent - still learning (like if a quest involves generating income from trade it's best not to realise after destroying every other faction - doh!) .... but I have dilemmas!?

If I defeat greenskins there's a choice of releasing them and earning more cash. Very handy in staving off bankruptcy. But freeing greenskins? Really? And we're dwarfs - what is this 'bankruptcy' they speak of? We have enough capital to buy the old world twice over!

And then the real issue occurred to me. If you play as another faction you will inevitably fight the dwarfs .... Nnooooooo .... what to do???

And how come those Wood Elf eagles are so tough?!?

#2 The Bearded Baron

The Bearded Baron

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 11:54 AM

Dilemmas worthy of a High King!

With just over 500 hours of gameplay I can honestly say that, as Dwarfs, I have NEVER released any greenskin captives. I'd rather sit in my hold and watch my army ravaged by bankruptcy and low public order than release a single goblin back into the wild! 

Really the dwarfs have plenty of ways of making money. Many more than other races. The trick is to push to either confederate Barak Varr or rush north to Mount Gunbad early. Barak Varr gives you another capital and three more money-making settlements as well as opening up trade routes to Bretonnia, Estalia, Tilea, The Empire and all the minor factions in between. Whereas Mount Gunbad is the breadbasket of the World's Edge Mountains, you can support two stacks alone with that one settlement and all its mines and economy buildings, even if Zhufbar beat you to the other settlement in the province.

I think that CA have done a fantastic job making the campaign play close to the lore. For example, its very, very rare that another other dawi faction will declare war on Thorgrim. They may scrap with each other, their wars being relatively tame compared to the might they bring to non-dwarf factions. This is a subtle nuance to the game, and one many non-warhammer fans may not even notice, but it really brings the dwarfs to life as being the self same race from the lore.

As for Wood Elves...Pah. Shields up and bring plenty of artillery. Just like on the tabletop. Their fast-moving  circus of an army with all its acrobatics and fancy monsters might have all the other races running around the battlefield like headless chickens but the dwarfs can just out shoot them.

Cannons for the treemen and dragons, organ guns and thunderers for the cavalry and few units of infantry they bring. Quarrellers with shields see to the rest. As for how to deal with them once they have colonised three-quarters of the map? ..There's probably a patch coming to see to that.

Glad you're enjoying the game. Keep writing off grudges!

#3 jouke1988

jouke1988

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 09:12 AM

Releasing gobbo's? Nope, not doing that. I have got a tip for you though. Build up one region for building units, and when you start conquering new lands, first of all build your economy. I am doing a Dwarf campaign at the moment and my income, at turn 100 was about 6000 each turn. Mostly because I had Mount Gunbad up to tear four and I had a lot of southern settlements with just economic an defensive buildings. That is about all you need when you have crushed the greenskins. Use your nothern provinces to build units. 

#4 Thorfar Salokin

Thorfar Salokin

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 04:32 PM

Thanks for the advice both! On my second campaign and have got hold of Mount Gunbad and toned down army sizes in the earlier stages so cash flow is much better.

In the last campaign I had some success with cannons targeting treemen (didn't encounter dragons much) but I was shooting eagles with organ guns and it didn't seem to have much effect. I'll try cannon next time. My real bugbear are the enemy heroes either assinating my general or impeding my forces. My thanet, when they do appear, don't seem to be able to counter them or do any skulduggery of their own!

Very true though - they've done a great job. I really like how Ekrund and surrounding badlands are sacred to the Orcs and it has a real warhammer feel to it

#5 jouke1988

jouke1988

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 01:20 PM

OK, there is a way to stop getting your generals killed as well. Put a hero in your army that lowers the enemy chance of hero activities. This will solve your problem in most of the cases.

#6 Helblindi

Helblindi

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 08:11 PM

I do like how sometimes you get presented with a choice where some dwarf broke an oath and you choose between making him take the slayer oath and making him take the slayer oath. Very dwarfy!

That said, I've never released a single orc during my dwarf campaign (on easy mode admittedly).

#7 Thorfar Salokin

Thorfar Salokin

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 08:26 AM

Thanks for the hero tip - I did have a thane in Grombrindal's army but blundered into a Grimgor / Azhag combo. With frantic shuffling I managed to get a second army into the fray and won (just) .... but the Thane went toes up. Never mind - next time!
Haha - yes love the oath choice! I take it with the world events saying your population is dropping that you don't actually encounter our whiskery nemesis? Just an indication they're there in preparation for a future add on!

#8 jouke1988

jouke1988

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 28 January 2017 - 09:56 AM

Thanks for the hero tip - I did have a thane in Grombrindal's army but blundered into a Grimgor / Azhag combo. With frantic shuffling I managed to get a second army into the fray and won (just) .... but the Thane went toes up. Never mind - next time!
Haha - yes love the oath choice! I take it with the world events saying your population is dropping that you don't actually encounter our whiskery nemesis? Just an indication they're there in preparation for a future add on!

I would love to see the Skaven added to this game

It seems to me that it is the last race they can add before expanding the map. How do you think about this?

#9 Thorfar Salokin

Thorfar Salokin

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 28 January 2017 - 09:28 PM

The skaven would be great! ... surprise attacks from below could give a whole new take on sieges and I would love to see skaven swarm armies on the surface. To use them as a playable race would entail a lot more though. I think they'd need to develop the subterranean realm more for that. But I'd like to see all the WHFB races in TWW eventually - fantastic game!

#10 Thane Wrok Bearslayer

Thane Wrok Bearslayer

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 88 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 07:37 PM

Yup, Skaven and Lizardmen are the two races I hope for the most. My two favourites after the dwarves!

I try to imagine myself that I am the general of the army i'm playing with, so as a dwarf I never let a greenskin walk. As a greenskin i'm always looking for a fight, and as a wood elf I try to remain in Athel Loren as much as possible. Does make the game a bit harder maybe than when you'd make rational choices, but the "roleplay" is part of the fun for me!

#11 Thorfar Salokin

Thorfar Salokin

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 08:41 AM

I can see that would make it trickier! Killing greenskins isn't to much of an issue for the dwarfs. The cash is useful bur as more experienced players have said there's ways round it.
The greenskin part is trickier .... if you meet two stacks of VCs do you simply crash in? Although I appreciate always looking for a fight isn't the same as being psychotic! Greenies aren't stupid (well some of them aren't)
Lizardmen would be great too - imagine a half dozen stegs coming across the battlefield! And a carnosaur ....

#12 Oakenshield

Oakenshield

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 04:26 PM

I released captives from a goblin army at the very beginning of my first campaign but stopped after that. You know why?

Choosing anything other than "Execute" while fighting greenskins gives you a relationship penalty with ALL of the dwarves on the map. The mechanics are set up so you MUST be dwarfy.

#13 Thorfar Salokin

Thorfar Salokin

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 06:55 PM

I've noticed that the game sometimes shows you haven't captured any enemy at all but you still get the release or execute option. Presumably you still get the penalty for release even in these circumstances?

#14 Hero of Rome

Hero of Rome

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 882 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 07:24 PM

I always release - getting the 'kind' and 'considerate' traits for multiple characters (giving faction wide public order boosts) is almost mandatory.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users