#1 Thorvald the Relentless

Thorvald the Relentless

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 06:55 AM

IMG_0597.jpg

Following this improvised mini-series of text walls about fluff in the AoS (in another place and time, really), I’d like to write a bit about dwarves (or duardin in the new setting, I’d bet it’s formed by simply altering the original words like it was with the dwarves themselves. A little history here — the english word “dwarf” is the english version of the german word “Der Zwerge”, which in turn is the german version of the old scandinavian “dwerg” (and it’s not saying who they originally were — it is too ancient for us today, but maybe someday… Who knows). The plural form “dwergar” is what likely GW used to make their new fancy “duardin”, and it is exactly this word (“dwergar”, that is), that is used in D&D to describe evil and dark dwarves living too deep underground in the Forgotten Realms setting). In the new world there are currently two sub-factions of this race — the Fyreslayers and the Dispossessed. Let’s start with the second one for today.

The so-called Dispossessed duardin are the sons of Grungni, the god-smith of the duardin. In the Age of Myth there was a whole duardin empire, Khazalid, but now it’s naught but a bunch of strongholds in Azyr — all who managed to escape the onslaught of the Chaos Gods. Of course, there can be also several cities in the other realms, but they are few, no doubt. The embittered Dispossessed, as these duardin are known now, fight for the forces of Order, and they wish naught but revenge on their enemies. Eventually all, who owe them in blood, will be repaid in full. Be assured of that.

When they go to war, the ground trembles with thudding of heavy boots, for these guys don’t use light infantry at all, and not that fond of the medium infantry as well. No, they like marching in tight blocks of the heavy shield wall, backed up by crossbows and fearsome looking flamethrowers (called “drakeguns”, by the way, and rightly so). Although all their artillery along with the gyrocopters is now a part of the Ironweld Arsenal, the Dispossessed are still a force to be reckoned with. They are led to war by mighty warden-kings and supported by runes of their runelords, and it’s quite often enough for everyone facing them.

IMG_0970.jpg

They also tend to live, as it’s mostly so, in the underground fortresses replete with high walls, deep mines and complex mechanisms. You know already the basic principles which to based your own fluff on, but what about something specific for the duardin? Well, I’d suggest the following. First, decide how technologically advanced are your brave dwarves. Do they use and invent new things or still prefer to cling to the good old ways? A new fancy flamethrower or steam drill is all good and such, but there is nothing an axe or hammer can’t achieve! My duardin (living in mountains in Chamon, the Realm of Metal, I must admit) are not that advanced as it could be (and is in some other settings), but they use powder, steam, complex contraptions and machines like elevators and mine cars on railways.

Second, decide, what resources they use and where they get them. Do they use lots of metal and so mine them deep underground? Or, maybe, they don’t have plenty of this and use instead wood and stone which can be taken from the mountains and the surroundings without the need to tunnel too deep (for who knows, what things lurk beneath the earth)? Maybe your mountains (or hills, for that matter) can’t boast precious metals or jewels but instead have plenty of copper, iron and / or coal? Everything can be of use! And what you don’t have you can certainly buy or exchange, can’t you. The third thing to be considered is if your dwarves are isolated from the other denizens of the realm or have some trade routs and connections? They can have metals not that much, but they can probably trade it for, say, stone or gems. Dwarves often prosper from the trade, so why not?

And some fluff I came up with (for now, at least). My dwarven stronghold is situated in the Argent Mountains in Chamon (well, this name can be changed later, but now it seems not that bad). They endured the Age of Chaos and defeated all armies that had tried to besiege them, from the local ogor tribes (aye, the former ogre kingdoms) and the Ironjawz to the roaming Chaos warbands. Their fortress is built mostly under the mountain, but the main entrance is set up quite over the long, elaborate and winding stairway which will force the invading force to spread dangerously thin. The main gates are thick, iron and protected by the quarrelers and thunderers, ready to rain fire from lots of small windows on anyone who gets too close. The gates are also backed up by the main garrison of the stronghold — hundreds of resilient and grim warriors, armed with hammers, axes, shields, drakeguns and some other devices. This garrison also protects the war level of the city — the first of the three levels forming up the whole enclave. It is on this level that all the barracks, training grounds and armories are located.

The next level is the living quarters. There live and toil all who are not warriors and miners, from street cleaners, traders and artisans to poets and architects. There sits the king on his high throne, ruling all over his subjects, in the great magnificent palace in the heart of the mountains. It is on this level that all the treasuries, tombs, workshops (like forges) and houses are located.

And, the last but not least, is the mine level. It’s the deepest of them all, and here my duardin mine most of the resources — iron, coal, silver and gold (and sometimes gems as well). There is a plenty of them but quite often the dwarves have to fight the Moonclan grots, also living there, and occasional skaven raiding parties in order to extract them (not to say about things like giant worms, ants or spiders. It’s natural). All resources are mined and then sent to the second level via mine carts and elevators (which, along with the guarded stairways, connect all there levels, by the way). All this stuff is used mostly by the dwarves themselves, but some products from them like weapons, instruments and jewelry are sent to different human states (well, mostly human) in the area (and also my Scourge Privateers who have a coastal fortress not very far from the mountains). This is possible because of the great underground lake, the source of fresh water and way to send goods on metal steam ships across the river which goes from the lake through the mountains to the coast (which forced my duardin to build good docks on this lake, I must say). These goods are exchanged for mostly food, wood, animal skins and such.

And so it is. We will see what the future (I hope, at least) Dispossessed battletome will bring, but for now we can have a plenty of freedom for our angry bearded stunties. May your axe stay ever sharp and your grudges avenged!

IMG_0972.jpg

#2 Volund

Volund

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 03:11 AM

I dont know how this has been up so long without anyone commenting. That was a wonderful read! I really appreciate you putting this here for us. I suppose people may not have commented because they are too intimidated that their fluff is not nearly a beautiful or fleshed out as yours. My "Warden" (I assume that is the current name of a group of Dispossessed since their leaders are called 'Warden' Kings?) is not even close, but I will at least share what I have periodically thought about so hopefully other people will be encouraged to also share. My clan, led by Thoril Grudgeminder, lives somewhere outside of Azerheim and under a mountain (super original XD). They have no trade with outsiders and get most everything short, of wood and leather, from inside their mountain home. This is reflected in the way that all the cloth is colored in reds, browns and yellows. Dyes can be made in these colors from minerals found underground (I spent way too long on wikipedia researching how to make dye!) whereas the more colorful dyes are almost all plant derivatives and therefore "new-fangled" and undesirable. Paints can be made in blues and greens so they do have some, especially in the gyros and other radical engineer types. They belive that Grungi is present in all forms of metal and as such there really isnt a lot of painted metal but rather they mix bronze and silver colored metals for a more decorative effect. Everytime I am part of a campaign, I always think of it as sending out a search party for other Duardin, because surely we can't be the only ones who got tired of the "lankys" trying to move on when there are still ancient wrongs to be set right!

#3 Thorvald the Relentless

Thorvald the Relentless

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 11:20 AM

Thanks for the response! I am glad you like it. Honestly I was inspired by some fluff here on the forum earlier from another member, but I have no patience and ability to write like him (his descriptions were very detailed and thought out) so my fluff is easier but covers all the essentials (if I have not missed something). So have no doubts in posting your own fluff, and, by the way, I like the idea of dying and using minerals for that purpose! and one quiestion. Why do your duardin live isolated?

#4 Thorvald the Relentless

Thorvald the Relentless

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 12:09 PM

And, by the way, although the kings are called warden kings, the subfaction is still Dispossessed until maybe the future battle tome :)

#5 Zidane_blade

Zidane_blade

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,315 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 01:31 PM

In the realm of Shyish, death and degeneration is the ruling factors. Only traders and the most desperate of individuals dare venture through the realmgates and into this damned place.
Barren lands, eerie waters and endless deserts is what welcome those foolish enough to traverse the landscape.
But not all are merely passing through. Small enclaves can be found here and there. Though few in numbers, they've transformed these places of solitude into sanctuaries of somewhat safety.
One of these places is set in the outskirts of the Endless Desert. This inhospitable domain borders up to a mountanious region where a collection of Duardin have settled. During the Age of Chaos, the forefathers of the present day duardin fought against the nightmaries chaos hosts, to defend their ancient hold which were created before the comming of Chaos. They didnt fight alone though. With the alliance Sigmar made with Nagash, long lost warriors sought to repell their evil advesaries, on the same side as the stout duardin.
Once the bitter war against Chaos withdrew from these parts of Shyish, the duardin inhabitants didnt venture to other realms to assists their battlebrothers, but decided to stay put. These harsh desolate parts of the world, have inevitable changed their view on the responsebilities towards their kin, or other factions in general.
Here, they try to get through the day. Trade with merchants for food other than whatever they can scrap together.
Wood is sparse, but in the deep they've struck something a tad more effecient. Oil. This ressource they use to run their ingenious contraptions, keep their bales lit atop the mountainside as well as their roaring fireplaces.
Patrols into the desert and the surrounding region is made to insure enemies dont surprise those meant to defend the hold. As a result, their armour has taken its toll, patches have slightly been grinded down by the numerous sandstorms such patrols have encountered throughout the ages. As such, in the rare occation envoys from these distant lands make the dangerous trip to Azyr, no one is in doubt of where these travellers come from.
In the Amethyst realm, as Shyish is also refered to, it is the dominion of the dead. But the living has managed to establish and keep, a few places to call home.

#6 Volund

Volund

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 02:16 AM

Ah, I actually hadnt really thought much about why they decided to leave Azyr and generally withdraw from the world. Now that you ask, I am thinking about it. I think that for a while when most of the other Duardin choose to distract themselves with building Azyrheim (and probably preparing weapons and such for the arrival of the stormcast), the Grudgeminders remembered acient grudges and were not interested in building new things when there were still old wrongs to be set right. So thier first expedition was to find their ancestral home, well really whatever minor dwarfhold they could find still somewhat intact, and reclaim it. Since then there have been expeditions based on what raiding partys they could track down or to seek others that still remember the "old ways".

Yeah, I guess that would make sense. I am just confused by the name in general. I discovered the hobby in August of 2015, so I missed knowing the old world, but werent the Dwarf Holds called "Karaks" or something like that? So i didnt know if "Warden" was supposed to replace "Karak". I just looked up the word in the dictionary and apparently it has a much broader connotation for the British than I realized, and it now makes more sense just as a title and not really a reference to anything changing.

Edited by Volund, 23 January 2017 - 01:11 PM.

#7 Thorvald the Relentless

Thorvald the Relentless

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 10:43 AM

Zidane_blade, great fluff! I like it very much, and you made me think as I've forgotten about oil! It's a very good idea :) and one question - why would duardin want to settle in Shyish?

Volund, interesting idea, why not? returning to the days of old glory and reclaiming the lost empire - it's something natural to dwarves, perhaps :) and yes, in WHFB the word "Karak" was used as "city" or "fortress" in Khazalid, so you are right.  

#8 Oakenshield

Oakenshield

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 11:51 PM

I do not know enough about the world to pick a location for my dwarfs to inhabit, and I don't have a name yet, but here are the basics:

There was once a hold of inventors. These individuals were not always welcome under the rulership of the more traditionalist duradin, so it was common to see outcast that were considered a little to adventurous being driven into the arms of this community. Given their desire to build on the old rather than obsess over it they built a strong relationship with nearby humans and became traders. Legends were passed down of a great "Underway" in the land before time, and these creative dawi saw a trading opportunity.

All dwarfs love money, but its accumulation is made much easier when you can convince other races to give it to you voluntarily. While the trade of gadgets and metalwork was lucrative with the nearby humans, this hold sought to expand its business. Trading goods over long distances was risky with the stormcasts frequently showing up unannounced at odd locations, and getting caught in order/chaos crossfire is something any good merchant wants to avoid! That is where these ancient tales of an "Underway" may become useful.

This dawi of this hold formed a throng with the goal of discovery or re-creation of this underground network. If such a thing could be established, their inventions could spread across the realm rapidly, and their vaults would fill with riches at an equivalent rate.

That is as far as I have gotten, my army will be warmachine/thunderer heavy for surface parties and more miner/axeman heavy for the tunneling crews depending on which I wish to represent at the time. The color scheme will be all over the place, the troops wear their clan colors rather than the colors of the hold. The unifying colors are only present on banners.

Edited by Oakenshield, 14 February 2017 - 11:52 PM.

#9 Thorvald the Relentless

Thorvald the Relentless

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 09:03 AM

Interesting idea! Then you could certainly consider what have done the developers of the "Craft the world", here you can build a subway! Real subway, because you can craft rails and mine carts and if you do, your dwarves will use them. Hope it will be helpful :)

#10 Volund

Volund

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 12:32 PM

I love it, Okenshield! It is almost the exact opposite of mine, but I like it equally much. It is also fun to read this as context after having read some of the list ideas you have posted on other threads

#11 Oakenshield

Oakenshield

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 03:50 PM

I am glad you enjoyed it. I still need a name.

This is my attempt at merging my throng's old world fluff with the new. In 8th edition my dwarves were from Barak Varr (a port city) and traded with other dwarves to get their fancy weapons.

For those who joined during AoS and never saw the old world: The Underway was a massive network of tunnels spanning the old world, dwarfs dug them out during the height of their empire and used it like a highway. When the time of woes happened these tunnels were lost to the skaven and greenskins and reclaiming them was always on the dawi to-do list.

I like the idea of a hold looking for something from the old world that probably has no equivalent in AoS

The next question is do they use human mercenaries from the cities they trade with? Handgunners are battleline units so I could bring some in place of warriors to complete the theme.

#12 Thorvald the Relentless

Thorvald the Relentless

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 08:33 PM

Name of the world? Sea or mountains are everywhere, you should choose the wind of magic you like the most. 

And yes, dwarves certainly could use mercenaries or allies. They don't have much fluff yet, so you are totally free, but I'd say why not? GW implies heavily that now is time of alliances and mixed forces rather than monoarmies.

#13 Oakenshield

Oakenshield

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 09:19 PM

I thought dwarfs were from the realm of metal?

I meant the name of a Hold, or a Karak. I can make one up myself or I can use the name of an established one but I haven't seen any fluff on those yet.

#14 Thorvald the Relentless

Thorvald the Relentless

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 09:50 PM

Not necessarily. We still need more fluff except for Fyreslayers. But yes, other duardin had strong presence in Realm of Metal, for example, they have made the Silverway, one of the most important Realmgates. But apart from those tiny bits you are totally free (concerning names it's only known for Grungni to establish the Iron Karak in Chamon).

#15 Rungi

Rungi

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 01:50 AM

Hi Everyone. I've lurked around Bugman's, especially the Forge, for quite a while but never signed up until now. AOS and all the room for creativity has pulled me back into the hobby after nearly 20 years away. Most of my pictures and fluff are on a blog on the TGA site : http://www.tga.commu...the-barazi-wyr/ 

The Vengeful Throng has recently emerged from a realm gate connecting Azyr to Chamon. They are the descendants of a great alliance of dwarven clans that lived together in a hold named Karak Grim-Wyr, once situated in the High Pass of the World-That-Was. Only a handful of their greatest heros awoke in the mortal realms and attempted to piece back together their clans during the Age of Myth. After the coming of Chaos and the Time of Great Shame, when even these stalwart heroes fled to Azyr to save what was left of their kin, family history, clan legends, and duardin lore as a whole had all been shredded in the memories of all but the few surviving whitebeards.

Lead by the Karakigrom clan, a throng was slowly raised. Most of these duardin had grown up as refugees in underground slums, using their broad backs and considerable skill in metalwork to carve out a living as miners, weaponsmiths, and craftsmen while the Azyrites above, including duardin families of great wealth, basked in the opulence of the Celestial Realm. Referred to degradingly as "Reclaimed," these dwarves had slowly reconstructed family histories and organized themselves according to their ancient alliances. The Karakigrom in particular are known for their hot tempers, combative nature, and propensity for ranging and raising small mining and hunting outposts. With the young, upstart King Rungi Roreksson, the Revenger of the Karakigrom Clan, at its head the throng has emerged from the underground armed in ancient runic armor from a forgotten time. They have seized the opportunity created by the thunder god's rebellion to strike out into their homelands in hope of fulfilling their greatest of grudge-oathes. This oath, written in the blood of the disgraced king who ordered the withdrawal to Azyr, is known as the Barazi-Wyr, or Ice's Promise. The following tales are the first few of the clan lore from the blog mentioned above and I think paint a solid picture of the Barazi-Wyr and where things are headed...

Messengers in the Dark:

Norgrim Proudsong awoke with a start. Had he been dreaming? KNOCK-knock-knock-KNOCK! There it was again. With a candle in one hand and his simple hatchet in the other, the dwarf squared his hulking shoulders at the doorway and opened to see who would come calling at this time in the night. At the edge of the shadows, backlit by the moonlight was a face Norgrim had hoped – nay, prayed for. His distant cousin Alaric Boldmane reached out to grasp the arm of his fellow warrior. He was fully clad in the runic armor spoken of in the tales of his clan. Norgrim had seen the helm before, but thought the rest of the suit lost. Tonight it was not only complete though, but seemed to glow with an ancient power.

“The time has come, old friend,” spoke Alaric, barely containing his excitement. Reaching forward, he offered a small scroll, sealed with the crest of the Boldmane Clan. “Rungi has opened the book of grudges and begun the readings. He declares it time to make good on the Ice’s Promise, to reunite our people and rebuild our homes under the mountains. He calls for old alliegences to be honored.”

“I will answer my King’s call, but will others? Will the other clans? Will the Boldmanes?” Asked Norgrim bitterly. “So many have forgotten the stories of Karak Grim-Wyr. Some hardly believe it ever existed. Fewer still are willing to speak of the old ways in the light of day with all the Umgi and Elgi around. I fear the Karakigrom will find few friends and rush to their doom.”

Alaric’s eyes seemed to moisten ever so slightly. It was sad to heard the once proud dwarf lord speak of his kinfolk with such little faith. “Old Proudsong, do you remember the passages I showed you, leading to the underground meeting room where I asked to you to begin gathering your hammerers? Do you remember when I told you that Rungi would give life to his name and lead us to our revenge?”

“Yes… But…”

“What if I told you that you were not the only one who has been using our passages? Or that you have only seen a fraction of them? The lords and thanes have been meeting. We Boldmanes have guarded the rising of our people from even the Storm God himself. But now is the time. Call on your brothers. Follow the instructions. I will see you at the table of the Revenger, along with the other clanheads. The time of the Barazi-Wyr is near.”

And with that, the longbeard turned and marched away into the darkness. Norgrim’s heart was pounding. Could it be? Could Rungi have successfully re-united the clans under the banners of the Karakigrom? Closing the door, the aged champion smiled as he walked to his fireplace and lifted the great warhammer from the mantle. It was truly a masterpiece. He paused and drew a deep breath before raising the hammer and unleashing his might. With a handful of swings, the shallow fireplace was reduced to a pile of bricks, revealing the hidden chamber behind it. Glimmering in the candlelight after lying dormant for so long was the white armor of the Chosen of Karakigrom. Soon, dawi throughout the underground guild district would trade soot-covered aprons and rough leather gloves for ancient suits of armor adorned with long forgotten runes. United, they would march once again with common purpose… The time of the Barazi-Wyr was indeed near!

The Gathering of Legends:

The purple- jeweled armor gifted to him by King Dwinbar reflected the flames burning from the sconces that illuminated the tunnels. Dwinbar had seen something special in his young heir, something that lead him to fight the passing years, refusing to die until Rungi was of age lead. On his deathbed, Dwinbar had ordered Norgrim’s armor reforged with the purple stones, marking him champion amongst the clan’s chosen elite. Dwinbar had but one final order for his champion –

“Bring The Ice’s revenge upon those who would seek to hold the clan low. Though his chin is covered by mere whiskers, the beardling has the strength of my forefather’s in him. He will need you.”

“Lord… We have no throng. The clan is no longer what it was. The last of our kind are becoming elders ourselves… But we shall sing our deathsongs with honor my king.”

“NO! You shall sing the songs of REVENGE… *ahck*ghrahck*ahck*… Alaric carries instructions for you. Heed them… I will await you in the halls of our ancestors my brother…”

Norgrim blinked his eyes hurriedly as he took in the congregation in the low-ceilinged hall. A tankard was passed his way as nods and grunts were exchanged. Surrounding the long, wooden table were storied dawi, some even legendary. They were the lords, thanes, and champions of the Karakigrom, along with their matches from the brother-clans Boartemper and Glitterblade… Together they comprised all the known duardin who descended from the ancient dwarven alliance at Karak Grim-Wyr.

Like any learned dwarf, Norgrim had read the stories. He had heard of the legendary Karak in the World-that-Was. But so many ages had come and gone, the World-that-Was and its people were little more than family mythology. And yet, here they were, each clutching a scroll much like his own. Each escorted and announced upon entering by a member of the Boldmane Clan, architects of the secret passageways running under so many of the duardin guilds.

Suddenly, at the end of the hall, a dwarf arose from his stool who Norgim had not seen in many years. His beard was fuller. His face more weathered. His eyes burned with a familiar ferocity, though his brow seemed to carry the heaviest of burdens. He placed a thick tome on the table with a resounding thud that silenced the last of the gatherers. Opening it, he began to speak.

“Dawi clinging to hope found it in the peaks of Karak Grim-Wyr, or so the legends say. They also say, that we – the Karakigrom – were the protectors of these peoples and the Kings of a great Northern Alliance in this World-That-Was. Generations have been robbed of their lives and their honor while we toiled and failed to rebuild our clans in the cursed Realm of Chamon. It is this honor, which resides at the core of a dawi’s spirit that the demon hordes seek to take from us. They have cracked open the very mountains seeking to shatter our holds, our homes, and our oaths to ourselves and eachother…

But we have survived. We have rebuilt. And in secret we have reforged the great alliance. It is the duty of the Karakigrom to shepherd our people back to the glory that was ours in the tales recorded. I call upon my brothers, and their brothers – Help me to realize the Barazi-Wyr! Help us raise a Karak as the realms have never seen. The Thunder God of the Umgi has declared his war. Are we to continue whispering in the shadows, or would we send a message to match? Again I call to my brothers – Help me to deliver the Ice’s Revenge and begin the age of the Barazi-Wyr!”

Eyes glistened with tears and roars burst forth from grimly smiling jaws. But their roars were drowned out by the call of the mountain itself. Striding over the door that had been stomped clear off of its hinges, came a spirit many never fathomed could have ever actually existed. Karugromthi’s snow white fur glistened with the power of the mountains, he seemed to be afire with the blue-glow of the ancestor spirits. The dawi parted to allow the demigod to walk round the table. Reaching Rungi, he stared into the young king’s eyes, then simply lay down next to him. As the second cheer rang out, kegs were tapped and long-stoic legends embraced as they found temporarily relief for their heavy hearts.

Norgim took in the scene, warmed by the gallery of legends surrounding him. There would be many a dark day ahead, countless duardin lost… But the Revenger had come, and the Barazi-Wyr was theirs to claim.

http://www.tga.commu...the-barazi-wyr/

#16 Thorvald the Relentless

Thorvald the Relentless

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 12:01 PM

As far the fluff is concerned, there is also what is called Ironweld Arsenal. It’s a cooperative organization of the Order, the house of technology and innovations just like Collegiate Arcanum and Eldritch Council are the same for learning and knowledge.

Ironweld Arsenal consists of dwarven and human artillery and vehicles lead by cogsmiths (aye, quite a dumb word instead of good old and reliable engineer or mechanic) and weapon masters. Here are all the cannons, from dwarven flame and organ ones to helstorm rocket batteries and volley guns of the so-called “free peoples” (those who resists Chaos instead of serving under its banners) and vehicles — dwarven gyrocopters and bombers and human steam tank. Quite an interesting faction, though it’s not that good without usual troops and is more of a support rather than front lines.

And support they do, their cannon fire is able to reduce everything to ashes. Arsenal likes fielding whole artillery detachments and its engineers are skilled in repairing and guiding guns in battle so that they keep shooting all the time. They have all kinds of them you’d wish — from anti-infantry ones like flame cannons and helstorm rocket batteries to anti-fortress and monster like gyrobombers and steam tanks. It’s a kind of Adeptus Mechanicus from the WH 40 000, is it not?

Anyway, writing your fluff for these guys will be very interesting. Consider two main points. The first one is to choose what specific detachments you bring to bear on the battlefield and what is particular about them. Why these? How do they cooperate with the other members of the Arsenal and other factions of Order? What do they want to achieve (and how)? Interesting questions which need time to think them over. In this regard I tend to think my dwarves (a cogsmith and cannon) moved to the Arsenal short after their arrival to Azyr (and I like the idea of moving my other dwarves from Chamon to Azyr) and since then they contribute to it what they can, preserving old knowledge and keeping cannons intact. The dwarves have no rivals in this!

The second question is how they are and were able to keep all the stuff ready and rarin’, and what is interesting about technology. How do your guns function? What is required in order to use them? How innovative are your guys and what new things do they invent? Describe your own factory or something like that where your boys live and work, something like giant forges, stores and metalworks needed to produce and repair cannons and vehicles of the Arsenal. They have to mine all the resources or trade them, to be sure. Heaven for those prone to that kind of stuff!

#17 Krom-the-Navigator

Krom-the-Navigator

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 02:13 PM

I think I'll wait a bit on the new book, read it and then elaborate my story. The basic idea, though, will revolve around the exploits of Rear-Admiral Long Drong Silverbeard and its crew of the Neemu.

#18 Thorvald the Relentless

Thorvald the Relentless

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 02:29 PM

Why not, it's a great start. Age of Sigmar is now more than developed in order for you to write really exciting stories about your miniatures. Especially when with all these Kharadron Overlords we have dwarves roaming the outer and inner space and whatever with their brand new dirigibles!

#19 Oakenshield

Oakenshield

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 12:46 PM

I think I will be switching over to the new steampunk dwarfs as they seem to fit the fluff I laid out here better than the old models.

#20 Thorvald the Relentless

Thorvald the Relentless

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 05:41 PM

Why not, they are very full of character and quite interesting in themselves. Write what you change in your fluff.

And here are my changes I've been thinking over for a while:

- to move my stronghold from Chamon to Azyr, though their heritage remains and it will manifest itself in color scheme - I'm using different metals for different bits.

- they will be mining gold, silver, gems, copper, tin (for bronze) and iron (for steel), and also oil - this is really an idea! 

- maybe also more ties to the Arsenal and engineers, have more to think it over.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: age of sigmar, dwarves, duardin fluff

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users