6 replies to this topic

#1 jouke1988

jouke1988

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 07:05 AM

Hey Guys, I would like to share with you my battle of last friday with a friend of mine with a VC army. 

The armies:

Dwarfs:

Lords and Heroes

Lord, Shield, Shieldbearers, Armour of Borek Beetlebrow, MoSnorri Spangelhelm, RoCleaving *2, General

Runesmith, Shield, RoBalance, RoSpellbreaking

Thane, GW, BSB, RoGrugni

Core: 

25 Longbeards, GW, FC, RoStoicism

16 Thunderers, Shields, FC

Special: 

Grudgethrower, RoAccuracy, RoPenetrating

20 Ironbreakers, RoStoicism, RoSanctuary

Rare:

15 Rangers, Musician, Standard

Vampire Counts

Lords and Heroes: 

Master Necromancer, Forbidden Rod, Talisman of Preservation, Other Trickster's Shard, Lvl 4, LoVampires, Master of the Death, General

Necromancer, Channeling Staff, Talisman of Endurance, Lvl2: LoVampires

Wight King, BSB, Shield, Armour of Fortune, Sword of Striking.

Core: 

30 Crypt Ghouls, champion

5 Dire wolfs

30 Skeletons, FC, shields

Special: 

25 Grave Guard, FC, Banner of Barrows.

Rare:

Mortis Engine, Blasphemous Thome

Terror Gheist

The Set-up: 

I was a little terrified for the fact that he had that Mortis Engine and the Terror Gheist in the army. Together with a double Invocation he would be able to keep screaming at me with that Terror Gheist which would, in the end, of course hit me big time. Because of that, I castled up a little bit at the left side of my deployment zone. He spread out his army not worrying about the leadership bubble because I am slow as well and I did not have a whole lot of shooting. My rangers went up the board but stayed outside of charge arch of the Grave guard but still being able to pepper them with their crossbows. His line from left to right, from my point of few: Grave Guard with Wight King, Skeletons, Mortis Engine with Necromancer, Ghouls with Master Necromancer, Terror gheist, Dire Wolfs.  My line, from left to right: Ironbreakers with Thane, Thunderers with Runesmith and Longbeards with Lord. I made two mistakes there, the Runesmith should have gone into the Longbeard Unit an I should have put the Graveguard closer to my units. The grave guard now had a building between them and the Thunderers. He moved up his wolfs towards my longbeards but still out of charge range.

Luckily, I got first turn! 

The battle

Turn 1: As a dwarf, I did not have a whole lot to do. I moved up a little bit with my three units at the back to try to lure him out. My thunderers where out of range so I had to move them. I also moved I Runesmith to the other unit, correcting my mistake. I shot with the Rangers, killed three Graveguard and killed my own Grudgethrower. I rolled a misfire and followed up with a 1 on the misfire result. Well, that's a good start... 

IMG 20170106 WA0005

Turn 1 VC: He moved his stuff up, but did not get into scream range. His magic phase did not do a lot and without anything to do in the combat and shooting phase, it was over to me again. 

Turn 2: I repositioned my Longbeards a bit to keep the Terror Gheist in my front. I could have charged him but, if I had not killed him, He would be able to flank charge me with the skeletons and the engine, so not doing that. The Ironbreakers moved up again towards the Engine, leaving the Grave guard for what they are. Killed another 3 Grave guard with my Rangers and tried to shoot into the Terror Gheist, not wounding once... 

Turn 2 VC: He charged my Longbeards with his Dire wolfs, in the flank, and the Terror Gheist. Well, did not see that coming.. Normally he keeps his army back... He reformed his Grave guard to make them charge my rangers next turn. In the magic phase he got a load of dice, raised a Zombie unit right in front of my Thunderers. He miscast but rolled a nine and saved the wounds. He also got one of the two invokes off. He also got Van Hell's off.. That last one, could be a problem. Screaming with the Terror Gheist, he rolled a three.. LOL! Combat phase, my lord wrecked that Terror gheist, taking away 4 wounds, the dire wolfs lost 3. I lost 2 Longbeards and with the combat result, I killed both the remaining wolfs and the Terror Gheist. Well, that's one problem solved. 

IMG 20170106 WA0007

Turn 3: Charged in with my Ironbreakers and my thunderers into the Zombies. My Longbeards charged the Skeletons. I thought about charging in the Rangers to the Grave guard but I thought I'd be better of shooting them twice. Shot again, killing another three, well this is going to take a while in such a way. My Ironbreakers and Thunderers murdered the Zombies. My Ironbreakers reformed as did my thunderers. The Longbeards had to take care of the skeletons and that combat was a big laugh. I hit with everything except for 1 longbeard. I killed a lot of skeletons and after the combat result there where 18 remaining. Killed about 25 in that one turn. Lost nothing...

Turn 3 VC: He could not charge in with his ghouls, the mortis Engine was blocking him. He did charge in with the Grave Guard, I did a stand and shoot, and killed another 2 Grave guard. He charged in. The Mortis Engine hurt my army a bit but did not take out anything significant. He miscast with his necromancer, which was on the Mortis Engine, and killed himself. I murdered the Skeletons and reformed the Longbeards to make a charge into the Ghouls possible. He killed most of my rangers, I took out 2 more grave guard and my rangers fled the scene. He reformed to go into the other combat, about 15 inches up the board on my side. 

Turn 4: Charged in the Longbeards to the Ghouls, Charged in the Ironbreakers into the Mortis Engine in the flank. Well, that was a lucky one, 9 inch charge. Well done my stuntie ones. Shot a couple of Grave guard down with the Thunderers and almost took down the Master Necromancer, 1 wound remaining. The Ghouls got halved but not enough to make them go away, my ironbreakers killed the Mortis Engine. 

Turn 4 VC: he moved up with his Grave guard a massive 4 inches. He tried to do an invocation, I used my spellbreaker to take it away and he got his invocation off. got 1 whole ghoul back on top of is his level. 5 more Ghoulies to kill. In combat I killed off his Master Necromancer and the remaining Gouls. Reforming to charge into the Grave guard if necessary but he only had about 8 left and his Wight King. And he had to start taking leadership tests. 

Turn 5. Did not charge in, left it for him and just moved towards him a bit with my Longbeards. Shot another 2 grave guard with the thunderers and waited for stuff to happen in turn 5 VC.

Turn 5 VC: He charged into my thunderers with the Grave guard. Killed a couple with the stand and shoot. He took out 5 thunderers with his forces, I took out 2 grave guard. Lost combat but held. 

Turn 6: Charged in the Ironbreakers and finished off his last unit. Well, big victory for the dwarves. I only lost my Grudge Thrower and my Rangers, he had nothing left at all.  

The review:

The triple charge in turn 3 was the turning point in our opinion. From that point on I had the initiative and he had to react to my actions. I really had a lot of fun. I was a bit afraid for the Terror Gheist, because I did not have a cannon but it turnes out a lord on shieldbearers is able to take out a terror gheist. Especially if he is in a GW unit. My opponent made a few mistakes with the deployment, because of the Grave guard not in the leadership bubble. My rangers did exactly what I had hoped for, drawing away and splitting his army in two making it a lot easier to take out the rest. 

Well, I hope you have enjoyed this, I will be back with another battle report as soon as possible. 

Edited by jouke1988, 11 January 2017 - 08:31 AM.

#2 LiveWaaaaagh

LiveWaaaaagh

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 145 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 09:34 PM

Thank you for the battle report! not only is it always great to read good, 8th edition battle reports, but this one had all the makings of a fun battle!

Love the list too. It's very similar to one of my all-commers lists for Dwarfs with the 2 big combat blocks of longbeards and ironbreakers and a decent combat block of thunderers. As you realized, I also would have advised to put the runesmith with the longbeards for AP1.

Did you take pics by any chance?

#3 Strongbeard_Liam

Strongbeard_Liam

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 03:19 AM

When I read the smith was in the thunderers, NOOO! Hahaha glad you moved him! I'm surprised he let the terrorgheist into combat at all. Keep 8th coming, and just for the WAAAGH I'd say squeeze a gyro into the list...

#4 jouke1988

jouke1988

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 08:11 AM

When I read the smith was in the thunderers, NOOO! Hahaha glad you moved him! I'm surprised he let the terrorgheist into combat at all. Keep 8th coming, and just for the WAAAGH I'd say squeeze a gyro into the list...

I am working on my very first Gyrobomber. That will be in the next list, probably taking out the Rangers to make room. I like the rangers but try to make the list new every time and time again. 

#5 jouke1988

jouke1988

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 08:12 AM

Thank you for the battle report! not only is it always great to read good, 8th edition battle reports, but this one had all the makings of a fun battle!

Love the list too. It's very similar to one of my all-commers lists for Dwarfs with the 2 big combat blocks of longbeards and ironbreakers and a decent combat block of thunderers. As you realized, I also would have advised to put the runesmith with the longbeards for AP1.

I did, I'll try to add them to the post. They aren't great but it will give you an idea about the battlefield. 

#6 jouke1988

jouke1988

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 08:33 AM

Added the few usefull pics I have. Next time I'll use my camera in stead of my phone for pictures. 

#7 LiveWaaaaagh

LiveWaaaaagh

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 145 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 03:17 PM

Please do - I'd love to feature it over at www.livewaaaaagh.com - with your permission of course!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users