#1 jouke1988

jouke1988

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 08:29 AM

Hey guys and girls,

Question for you now. I am looking to add a force of Longbeards to my army but I am desperately looking for some old Longbeards but I can't seem to find them. Because of that, I am tinking about the new, plastic longbeards. What is your experience with them and do they have the same amount of character as the old, metal ones? 

Thanks for your assistance! 

#2 Kallstrom

Kallstrom

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 10:19 AM

As a rule of thumb most old sculpts have way more character than the new ones. The old longbeards ooze of warmth and dwarfyness to me, while the new ones are cool in their own way. 

I think both kinds of sculpts (older metal longbeards, whichever version, and the new ones in plastic) are great in their own way, but I would try to keep it to the style of the rest of your army. Does the rest of your army contain older or newer versions of the other units?

#3 Alebelly_Cragfist

Alebelly_Cragfist

Dwarf Of Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,346 posts
Contributor

Posted 05 January 2017 - 10:44 AM

Depends on what you mean by old longbeards - the first official longbeard models where the Marauder Miniatures ones, then many years later came the Citadel ones many refer to as the "old" longbeards. Both of these ranges have way more character than the plastics. But the plastics are far more in keeping with the look and feel of the existing range, if you already have a number of relatively current GW Dwarfs.

If all of your other dwarfs are from older ranges, then the plastics will look a bit out of place. A unified paint scheme would help this to a degree though.

#4 jouke1988

jouke1988

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 11:57 AM

As a rule of thumb most old sculpts have way more character than the new ones. The old longbeards ooze of warmth and dwarfyness to me, while the new ones are cool in their own way. 

I think both kinds of sculpts (older metal longbeards, whichever version, and the new ones in plastic) are great in their own way, but I would try to keep it to the style of the rest of your army. Does the rest of your army contain older or newer versions of the other units?

Most of the army is plastic but I tend to like the metal characters more so I've got a lot of those. 

#5 karak-ulo

karak-ulo

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 01:45 AM

5 edition without a doubt

#6 jouke1988

jouke1988

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 08:09 AM

5 edition without a doubt

I don't know all the editions to be honest, do you perhaps have a picture? 

#7 Kallstrom

Kallstrom

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 01:19 PM

If you want some cheap yet nice longbeards you could always buy these from Black Tree Design.
There are three different sets of 3x regular rank and file, and a command group in the bottom link.

They look like this, and are made out of metal:

fa0911_1024x1024.jpeg?v=1477140652
http://eoeorbisuk.co...iant=4539063427

http://eoeorbisuk.co...iant=4539063619

http://eoeorbisuk.co...iant=4539063811

#8 Booxi

Booxi

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 64 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 03:30 PM

This are not GW, Citadel or Marauder Dwarfs....

4/5 ed

http://www.solegends...ongbeardsc3.jpg

6 ED

http://vignette1.wik...=20110624021334

8 ED

https://www.games-wo...beardsNEW01.jpg

I have all of those 4-6 ed on square bases looking nice on my shelf, 8 ed plasticks on round pases playing AoS. Why ? Because 4 ed dwarfs look stupid compared to new Ironjawz / Stormcast and others. It is almost 20 years difference... that is too much

#9 Pellegrim

Pellegrim

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,838 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 09:26 PM

http://www.the-ninth...ors-greybeards/

#10 Pendrakk

Pendrakk

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 03:13 AM

So i like the 6th edition long beards. I think they bring the best character to ths unit. But i like 8th for hammerers and iron breakers, they look more elite in my opinion.

#11 spite

spite

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 12:29 PM

I prolly agree with Pendrakk on this one, the 6th Edition Hammerers are so one pose that I would never pick them up over the new ones as for the Longbeards, I think both are good minis, you can usually find the 6th Edition Longbeards on Ebay or for ease by a couple of the new ones from GW. 

#12 Steven

Steven

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 05:18 PM

I recently finished up two boxes of new (8th ed) longbeards, and I'm really happy with them. Most of my army is plastic, but to me the armored modern miniatures work pretty well with older metal minis of a less martial character. I have a gaggle of old metal civilian minis, and their character compliments the more "serious" look of the modern soldier-looking guys.

#13 Naugrim

Naugrim

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 135 posts

Posted 08 April 2017 - 07:55 AM

I like both! The new ones are more badass, they have a more purposeful look in my eye. I have recently made a unit for my Oakenhammer force, not yet painted but give me a few weeks. I did a few head swaps, not overly keen on the beard to the ground vibe. 

37XG4dq.jpg

The older models look, well, older. They seem content to stand around, supping a few jars, waiting to get back on the bus to the old folk's home. At least, that's what they look like, try to pinch their bingo cards and you will regret it.

XsvkP6T.jpg

I used to love my square based army, but recently as I have added more to my round based force, the love has gone. I'm not one of those old-metals-are-full-of-character types. In fact, I think a lot of the old metal sculpts are pretty crappy and much prefer some newer stuff. But there are exceptions, and I think the longbeards just about scrape into the exceptions list. But if you were to tell me I could only keep one set, the newer plastics would win for me. 

Of course, we are all different, and we are all right. Ask ten dwarfs to name their favourite beer and you would get ten different brews to sample.  :biggrin:

#14 Dethos

Dethos

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 08 April 2017 - 10:53 AM

Have to say that i like the newer ones more, they realy stand out from the rest of the models in an army.

#15 Steven

Steven

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 08 April 2017 - 09:03 PM

"Old metal sculpts are pretty crappy" - Naugrim those are fighting words around here!

Just kidding. Like you said, to each their own. I enjoy all three ranges of Longbeards, and I really like your progress so far.

#16 Shaun

Shaun

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 12:28 PM

I prefer the older ones.

#17 Kallstrom

Kallstrom

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 03:22 PM

The older models look, well, older. They seem content to stand around, supping a few jars, waiting to get back on the bus to the old folk's home. At least, that's what they look like, try to pinch their bingo cards and you will regret it.

XsvkP6T.jpg

I used to love my square based army, but recently as I have added more to my round based force, the love has gone. I'm not one of those old-metals-are-full-of-character types. In fact, I think a lot of the old metal sculpts are pretty crappy and much prefer some newer stuff. But there are exceptions, and I think the longbeards just about scrape into the exceptions list. But if you were to tell me I could only keep one set, the newer plastics would win for me.

Of course, we are all different, and we are all right. Ask ten dwarfs to name their favourite beer and you would get ten different brews to sample. :biggrin:

I do not share your point of view since I am one of those old-metals-are-full-of-character types, but I Love your comment about the old Longbeards pose. :)

Edited by Kallstrom, 14 April 2017 - 03:24 PM.

#18 Thorvald the Relentless

Thorvald the Relentless

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 05:54 PM

I like both! The new ones are more badass, they have a more purposeful look in my eye. I have recently made a unit for my Oakenhammer force, not yet painted but give me a few weeks. I did a few head swaps, not overly keen on the beard to the ground vibe. 

Of course, we are all different, and we are all right. Ask ten dwarfs to name their favourite beer and you would get ten different brews to sample.  :biggrin:

It is so indeed, sculpts and miniatures in general never were a strong point of GW until times of 8th edition really. Of all the metal minis only some are / were really great, like Korhil - smooth, accurate, well made and with right proportions and anatomy, not GW style balls with legs and arms having come straight from the old tales before Tolkien. Metal minis are great by some of those companies making soldiers from Napoleon Wars, for example, but by GW. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users