43 replies to this topic

#21 Dubren

Dubren

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 113 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 12:40 PM

Very true, it's always a very personal thing in the end of the day.

The problem however is being unwilling to accept that another game can do something better sometimes (before anybody takes this the wrong way i play both, yes i like KOW more but i do like what 9th is doing.) 

In the end however all that matters is, having fun with you friends and fun comes in many different forms so it's good to have many different options, you just need to be open for it and give it a shot if you stil don't like it there is always something else out there.

And besides nobody said you can't play more then one game.

#22 Weezheat

Weezheat

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 135 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 02:59 PM

Thank you all for the responses and insight! The thread is close to going the KoW vs 9th age, so I'd caution not to steer in that direction.

I'm going to continue with 8th edition for now and have - since my initial post - started reaching out to see fi there's interest in my local community. No luck so far, but  since I moved recently, I'm just getting to know people.

I think at the end of the day, one should play what they want because time is limited. And 8th edition is what I enjoy. Who knows... maybe GW/Forge World brings it back one day.

Until then, 8th edition it is!

Edited by Weezheat, 01 January 2017 - 03:01 PM.

#23 The Bearded Baron

The Bearded Baron

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 02:26 PM

I have said it often on here since the end of 8th ed, but you have pretty much articulated my thoughts better than I have managed, Weezheat

I had dipped into warhammer before, but when Island of Blood came out I got into fantasy in a big way. Losing it has been difficult. Which is shameful to admit, because I have lost a lot of other things in the last two years too and so far they haven't come close. Not an easy thing for a man to admit about toy soldiers, but there you go.

I still play occasionally, but i've been forced underground with it and only manage a game a month or so. I like and sometimes play other systems, but i'll always stick with 8th edition, even if my FLGS, my friends and even my wife have turned away from it now.

It's good to know there are others in the same boat. Keep the old world going!

#24 Weezheat

Weezheat

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 135 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 03:26 PM

I found the forum EEFL - Eight Edition For Life. Not a whole lot of activity, but some! And people still play and paint.

For now, I'll continue playing 8th and post batttle reports here!

#25 Grungimusic

Grungimusic

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 08:21 AM

KoW falls down in the lack of magic, lack of magic items and any kind of fun rules and yes the latta one is also reduced in T9A. Sayings it's significantly more balanced is a stretch but like everything, it's a personnel opinion

You don't always need the army books, pdfs help!

Having said that I enjoy 2 Ed 40k and have all the books so I can't talk lol

But yes, the community has been shattered, there are ways to play online if you can't physically play but don't give up, it's a great hobby to be in, so try to introduce some folk, you never know!

The fun we have playing must be completely imaginary, Bugman. 

Anyway, try it for yourself. You have to play probably 5-6 games to get a feel for just how well Mantic managed to create tactical depth with a simple rules system. However, once you get the hang of it, it's a lot of fun. 

He's not saying you aren't having fun. I'm glad some of you like KOW, but a great many of us find it dull, myself included.

If you like KOW then play KOW.  If you want WHFB with the cheese removed, then 9th Age is your game.

#26 Grungimusic

Grungimusic

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 08:21 AM

KoW falls down in the lack of magic, lack of magic items and any kind of fun rules and yes the latta one is also reduced in T9A. Sayings it's significantly more balanced is a stretch but like everything, it's a personnel opinion

But yes, the community has been shattered, there are ways to play online if you can't physically play but don't give up, it's a great hobby to be in, so try to introduce some folk, you never know!

The fun we have playing must be completely imaginary, Bugman. 

Anyway, try it for yourself. You have to play probably 5-6 games to get a feel for just how well Mantic managed to create tactical depth with a simple rules system. However, once you get the hang of it, it's a lot of fun. 

He's not saying you aren't having fun. I'm glad some of you like KOW, but a great many of us find it dull, myself included.

If you like KOW then play KOW.  If you want WHFB with the cheese removed, then 9th Age is your game.

#27 Montegue

Montegue

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,749 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 05:57 PM

He's claiming it's not fun. Our lived experience with the game shows that opinion to be false. If he said "I don't think it's fun" that would be one thing. That's not what he said. 

9th Age, however, can no longer be reasonably called "WHFB without the Cheese". The game continues to intentionally deviate further and further away from the Old World as time goes on. Eventually it will be just it's own thing, and not Warhammer anymore. Really, it's already there. 

#28 Weezheat

Weezheat

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 135 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 06:55 PM

It already is - for better or worse. which has driven away a lot of people but also strengthened the game for others.

#29 Grungimusic

Grungimusic

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 11:03 AM

Montegue he is expressing his opinions about the failings of the game; he even explicitly acknowledges it's about personal opinion!  Your experiences with the game can no more "prove" his opinion to be false than mine can prove it to be true.

With Regards to the current state of 9th Age, let's examine 3 game systems:

4th edition WHFB

6th edition WHFB

The 9th AGE

Which of these three is most similar to 8th edition WHFB?  

#30 Montegue

Montegue

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,749 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 07:47 PM

It already is - for better or worse. which has driven away a lot of people but also strengthened the game for others.

Which is why I'll never for the life of me understand why the dwarf players can't finally shed the awful and restrictive GW notion of what a dwarf army should be. They're back in the honeymoon phase again with this most recent iteration of the rules. We will do well initially, but will be unable to cope as the meta changes and our lack of movement and diversity once again put us firmly at the back of the bus. 

I have a solid amount of dwarves still not multibased, and it's getting less and less likely I'll keep it that way. 

#31 Pellegrim

Pellegrim

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,823 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 08:09 AM

Well with triple march, the Buster, swiftstride. better copters and miners with pistols we definitely have more option. As it currently stands, DH are actually OP in low-mid levels, ok at good levels, and might be lacking at the top levels. If that's the case, we'll prove it and change it. Cause that's also how T9A works.

Atm DH can field some very very nasty lists. So leave those bases square Monti and start playing, the game is very very good.

#32 Montegue

Montegue

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,749 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 04:26 PM

The same thing happened in previous iterations. We were borderline OP while people went through an adjustment, and then we lagged behind. The same structural underpinnings will always haunt us. I've seen you go through this cycle before, Pellegrim. 

#33 Pellegrim

Pellegrim

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,823 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 10:38 PM

Hey, I'm not saying top levels are balanced out yet, so easy on the assumptions. I'm saying the DH army has gotten new toys -> that are fun. And actually, DH perform very well at mid levels (multiple top 3 results). Agree the DH need to prove the strength of the book at top levels ...

#34 Montegue

Montegue

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,749 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 03:01 PM

Hey, I'm not saying top levels are balanced out yet, so easy on the assumptions. I'm saying the DH army has gotten new toys -> that are fun. And actually, DH perform very well at mid levels (multiple top 3 results). Agree the DH need to prove the strength of the book at top levels ...

Were those top three finishes in large, multi-day events? 40+ players and 5 games?

or were they local things?

Because this isn't the first time Dwarves have done well out of the gates only to find themselves being the Tomb Kings of 9th age after the meta resettles itself. 

#35 Slembo

Slembo

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 120 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 04:20 PM

Is there even time for the meta to resettle itself between the different versions 9th have had to up to this date;)?

#36 Montegue

Montegue

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,749 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 12:53 PM

Not every iteration, but more or less, yeah. There's been a fairly regular cycle of boom and bust for DH. 

#37 Pellegrim

Pellegrim

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,823 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 01:12 PM

Were those top three finishes in large, multi-day events? 40+ players and 5 games?

or were they local things?

Because this isn't the first time Dwarves have done well out of the gates only to find themselves being the Tomb Kings of 9th age after the meta resettles itself. 

No, but that's exactly what I said. DH is overpowered at low-mid levels atm, ok at high level, and needs to prove itself at top levels. UK Masters is currently ongoing, live at Twitch, really cool. Heard DH player Fnarr won 2 lost 1 on day 1. 

https://www.twitch.tv/totalwargamingtv

#38 kgkid

kgkid

Dwarf King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,005 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 06:20 PM

If I were you I would wait till the 9th Age has settled a little if that is how you feel. ...

What is it that did not strike your fancy regarding the changes in 1.2 and 1.3? Maybe a new approach or a new army (temporarily) could mitigate that problem for you for now and give you the joy of wargaming back?

Even if I personally might disagree, it seems a lot of people were anxious to have system settled in.

So T9A staff decided to freeze the changes until August/September, when they will offer final 2.0.

You have good 8 months of stable, if imperfect, system. 

And they are looking at a few years of stable 2.0 basic rules after that, while they go trough detailed army books, ad then a stable period on all levels with background and everything.

In the mean time, they might call for community members to beta-test certain ideas they would consider for 2.0

#39 Zidane_blade

Zidane_blade

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,221 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 06:46 PM

Dont you think they wanted a stable period leading up to the ETC, giving the competive players a chance to refine their lists in the meantime?

#40 Pellegrim

Pellegrim

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,823 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 08:10 PM

Main reason was the quick changes got ALOT of critique, and people started quitting.

The call for stability was very strong. Mainly by none-compettitive players actually.

Edited by Pellegrim, 18 January 2017 - 08:11 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users