• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 YurganKurgansson

YurganKurgansson

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 07:55 PM

Welcome to the halls of Clan Damnazgorm (Grudgebeard/Old-Grudge)!

Our esteemed Warden King Yurgan Kurgansson Grudgebeard is pleased to have visitors.

So far our clan is small, but we will grow with time, you are welcome to join us if you have the heart!

~~~

Hello folks to my army thread, here I hope to post pictures of my work-in-progress army, the Grudgebeard Clan! They are known for dyeing their hair blue so they never forget the grudges they hold against the monsters that took their original homelands (and the sorrow which accompanies those grudges). They will never stop dyeing their hair until the day the Mortal Realms are re-taken and the old holds are held once more. Yurgan was the first to dye his hair, and offered to take in the lost and forsaken of other clans who were nearly annihilated to ensure they would still have a home.

Their clan colors are Blue, Orange and Gold (yes, not very traditional, but they are not a very traditional clan  :P ).

I was honestly inspired by the beautiful salwar kameez outfits of India, which I find very beautiful and vibrant!

I have quite a bit of painting and lore work to do, I own about 80 or so dwarf models, but only have maybe 11 in progress of painting currently.

Here is my first full attempt at painting an Age of Sigmar model (at least that is near completion):

6a73f87097bc62fe5fe45dd02038f059.png

9df945628ac1b0ca3583d922d3300552.png

I've yet to get the eyes painted on this guy as I'm still struggling in that department, and I might be adding some snow to the base, but otherwise I think I'm mostly done with him.

If you have any opinions, comments or critiques on the lore or painting/modeling/basing I would be more than happy to hear them! I can take a beating when it comes to critical commentary as long as it's constructive.

Otherwise, I'll just keep posting things as I get further along!  :biggrin:

#2 Thorvald the Relentless

Thorvald the Relentless

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 09:20 PM

Blue does not get along with such colors like gold and orange that good, but if it's only beards, it suffices. Blue beards look original and stand out. But the name of the clan... I like germanic languages, they like words which sound to others (like us, for example) very dull and stupid (no offence intended, by the way). But, on the other hand, the name goes very well with the lore anyway :)

Edited by Thorvald the Relentless, 10 October 2016 - 09:21 PM.

#3 YurganKurgansson

YurganKurgansson

Young 'Un

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 07:07 AM

@Thorvald

Well to be truthful I got the name off of this list by mixing the two words I wanted, so it's not really Germanic (although probably somewhat derivative if nothing else).

It's no offence taken, I tend to like harsh sounding names (I studied the German language and Germanic/Norse history somewhat in college), but it isn't for everyone. I'll admit I purposefully picked a bit of a silly name for my Warden King, but only because it was a name I used long ago in D&D and I like the ring of it off the tongue.

I'm not too worried about the colors clashing per se, since that's sort of the look I'm going for. This clan is gonna be a rag-tag bunch of survivors, sort of in the vein  of Landsknechts mixed with High Fantasy Sad Clowns... colorful, ostentatious and rowdy.

This probably won't be my only Dwarf Throng, this Throng is mostly made up of old ebay models and samey looking "Skull Pass" models with identical poses so I could get started playing cheap. After I get more established I'll most likely end up putting together a more serious and "realistically" painted Dwarf throng with more earthy and toned down colors and models with dynamic poses.

Thanks for the comment!

#4 Nord

Nord

Dwarf Hammerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 07:38 AM

Blue and gold go together fine - just ask Tzeentch, or Tutunkhamun. 

If you struggle painting eyes - don't bother. A dark brown line in the eye slit is all you need for gaming figures - you might already have one from washes. If you really feel the need to wake them up at some point in the future you can come back to them, when you have more skill after practising on all your other dwarf painting. With the helmets covering or being so low on the face, it's not really noticeable if you don't have eyes. Better than badly painted eggs on your faces!

#5 Thorvald the Relentless

Thorvald the Relentless

Dwarf Longbeard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 10:46 AM

Then I understand. Why not? an interesting idea in itself. Also you could paint some elite units like ironbreakers or irondrakes in another way to represent that they are, for example, the king's guard. In this case I intend to paint my own warriors, as they reside in Chamon, in silver and mercury colours, to show they live in the world of metal.

@Thorvald

I'm not too worried about the colors clashing per se, since that's sort of the look I'm going for. This clan is gonna be a rag-tag bunch of survivors, sort of in the vein  of Landsknechts mixed with High Fantasy Sad Clowns... colorful, ostentatious and rowdy.

This probably won't be my only Dwarf Throng, this Throng is mostly made up of old ebay models and samey looking "Skull Pass" models with identical poses so I could get started playing cheap. After I get more established I'll most likely end up putting together a more serious and "realistically" painted Dwarf throng with more earthy and toned down colors and models with dynamic poses.

Thanks for the comment!

Well, without orange they go well indeed :) 

Blue and gold go together fine - just ask Tzeentch, or Tutunkhamun. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: clan, throng, painting, army, grudgebeard

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users