4 replies to this topic

#1 Thurgrim

Thurgrim

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 126 posts

Posted 31 July 2016 - 05:14 PM

The rangers continued over the crest line and were greeted with the sight of dust in the valley. They had caught up with the Orcs. It had been a six day pursuit their but finally their superior local knowledge had given them the advantage. The Orcs were now cornered in a ruined village. Thundergut gave the order to attackโ€ฆ

Dwarfs

Dwarf Lord on Shieldbearers

Runelord

23 Quarrellers

10 Dwarf Warriors

5 Ironbreakers

Orcs

Warboss on Boar

Great Shaman

10 Orc Boyz

7 Black Orcs

5 Boar Riders

Spear Chukka

Deployment was mostly a simple battle line I had my quarrellers to my left with the runelord behind them, my ironbreakers were to the right of them in some ruins with my lord just behind them and my warriors were just to the right of them. The orc deployment had the Spear Chukka on the far right just opposite my warriors to the left of them were the black orcs and the orc boyz with the shaman nearby to the left of them was the warboss and the boar riders.

The first turn shooting on both sides was a flop as was magic (and prayer) the only significant thing was both sides advancing apart from my quarrellers who would hang back to hold my left flank.

By the second turn the enemy was on top of my quarrellers and they found themselves charged by everything the enemy had but the shaman and the spear chukka. Shooting and magic was still ineffective on both sides, in combat casualties were minimal it was more of a handbag fight than anything else I think 3 quarrellers fell. All attempts by me to join the quarreller combat with other troops failed.

Turn three saw the shaman attempt to cast again but the runelord stopped him (this will continue for the rest of the game). My warriors continue to advance to the spear chukka where everyone else manages to join the combat to aid the quarrellers. Again shooting and magic were useless. In combat the quarrellers are thinned a fair bit and I think black orcs and boar boyz took a wound each my runelord also took a few wounds.

Turn four and magic is still useless I think the quarrellers managed to shoot one wound off the boar boyz killing one. The warriors managed to reach the spear chukka but fail to do any damage with their rubber axes and the crew prove equally as useless. The quarrellers have now only 5 in their number and the combined effort of my lord and the ironbreakers reduce the black orcs to 2. On the other flank the boar boyz are reduced to 3.

In turn five magic and shooting once again pointless in movement the runelord flees in an attempt to stay alive. In combat the warriors finish off the spear chukka the black orcs fall the ironbreakers are reduced to one and the quarrellers are finally felled.

Turn six and as we had decided the final turn the shaman had one last chance to cast a spell and without my rune lordโ€™s interference but typically failed. The boar boyz charged the runelord and finished him off, the warboss finished the lone ironbreaker and my lord felled the 7 remaining orc boyz which was the final blow struck of the battle it was also the winning blow.

At the end of the battle the orcs had caused 72.5% casualties upon the dwarfs and the dwarfs had caused 82.1% casualties upon the orcs giving the dwarfs a victory however marginal it may have been. 

This was our first Age of Sigmar battle and although it can never replace a ranked fantasy battle game, it was highly entertaining with many occasions of snake eyes for the orc spear chukka for shooting and quarrellers that can loose of 46 shots in one turn and manage to miss every single one. For balancing we decided on a 50 wound limit with a limit of 40 models in future we may use the new points system in the Generals Handbook but I think we have a few more battles planned with this system of balancing just to get used to the rules.

#2 Zidane_blade

Zidane_blade

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,334 posts

Posted 31 July 2016 - 05:37 PM

Awesome battle! I'm surprised the Ironbreakers managed to endure a six day treck to reach the orcs ๐Ÿ˜„๐Ÿ˜„

Two things out of curiosity:
Where did you find the rules for a lord on shieldbearers? Don't have him in the App or on their website.
Second, did you remember Quarrellers can make a shield wall each turn, as long as they don't run or charge?

Great job, nevertheless. Would love to read more of those.
Who knows. Perhaps the rest of the dwarven warband doesn't make it back home, without being caught by a second orcish tribe? ๐Ÿ˜œ๐Ÿ˜œ

#3 Thurgrim

Thurgrim

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 126 posts

Posted 31 July 2016 - 06:05 PM

I think they were all tired it would explain some of the poor combat rolling XD

The rules for lord on shieldbearers can be found on the games workshop website as pdf files (it's in the dwarf rules) google age of sigmar rules that's how I found them. His rules are on the warscroll for dwarf lord.

I did remember the shieldwall on the quarrellers it was fairly effective :) I did however forget that the Ironbreakers ignore rends less than -2 and they would have survived had I remembered too.

There should be another battle to come (I hope) but it will be different troops. We both wrote six lists adhering to our limitations of 50 wounds and 40 models with three themed lists (both same themes) and three free choice lists. Our themed lists are cavalry theme (miners for dwarfs), gunline (an orc gunline should be funny) and an all hero army. These were both free choice lists. I think we may take these troops again another time for a grudge match as it was a very close one, so they may very possibly get caught by orcs on the way home :).

#4 Zidane_blade

Zidane_blade

Dwarf Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,334 posts

Posted 31 July 2016 - 07:04 PM

Ahh of course, the old dwarf compendium. Dunno why I never thought about looking there. For some reason, they aren't included in the APP (They used to be, and are also in the Generals Handbook, so one could assume it's an error).

Just thought the Quarrellers went down at a above average pace, that's why I wanted to hear ๐Ÿ˜„
Ironbreakers in cover are almost immovable, for the record ๐Ÿ˜‰

An all hero army sounds awesome. You could make arena fights ๐Ÿ˜„๐Ÿ˜„
Just as a side note, I can highly recommend buying the Generals Handbook. It's really an excellent tool, with great advice on different kinds of battle.

Haha yeah, you could make the survivors part of the objective in one of the battles.
"Special Rule: For each battleround after the second, in which there are no dwarfs within 3" of this objective, a dwarf captive is fed to the Giant Ivan" ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

#5 Thurgrim

Thurgrim

Dwarf Warrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 126 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 06:23 PM

Odd that they are not in the app but who knows sometimes with GW XD

It is possible the quarrellers went down quite quickly they were facing 3 units and the orc boss for nearly two turns single handedly but it may have been down to my poor rolling for armour saves.

I am looking forward to the all hero fight and now contemplating an arena based campaign which could be quite fun :)

The battle was at my local Games Workshop and I picked up a copy that night. I haven't read it yet but I had a quick look at the points values, I am looking forward to looking at the options they have for campaign play.

We may just have to use that special rule :). I think my opponent may then find the motivation to finish that giant he's been painting for a while, knowing it now has a name :D

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: aos battle report, battle report, aos

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users